The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Lucky Day

Reaction score
Update: Tuned up, plugged my board into the loop and tweaked the loudness on ch 1 and 2 and eq to taste. I’m running it through a 1960bx 4x12 with English greenbacks. First impressions the amp is loud, even at 5 watts which I had it in, sustain for days. The tone is articulate, defined and if you suck everyone will know you suck louder and with more definition.

It’s 100% got that plexi sound you’ve heard on countless records, think Paul Kossoff. Again Marshall hit it out of the park, the city and perhaps even the zip code with this magnificent little beast, could type more but I’m going back to playing!

I may suck but at least I'll sound damned awesome whilst doing so!

Chris4189

Reaction score
I’m getting ready off load a class 5 MKII combo a 2466 and a few other amps and I’ve been eyeballing one of these heads and matching slant cab but here is my question:
I’ve got an unmolested metal panel ‘72 super lead that sounds really good! That I push through a 1960 4x12.

The head has a larmar ppmiv that I leave at noon and a hotplate that I use to knock it down a few dB.

Bedroom volume is not a concern for me. I live out in the country and if I want to play late at night I knock the larmar way down.

So I’m torn how much the studio vintage will give me over my current setup? If anything?

Last edited:

DesolationBlvd

Reaction score
Hearing the Origin / Studio Vintage comparison, the Origin gets in the neighborhood. I see the master on the Origin isn't dimed. I don't know why they seem to have put a pre-phase inverter master volume on the Origin, if it was post-phase, it would give a much better impression of the Plexi tone at less than "loud".

But the Studio Vintage just gave more of everything. I'm not going to settle for the Origin.

EDIT TO ADD: In the pedal-boosted video, I preferred the EP booster over the Tube Screamer. Way too hairy in the mids with the Tube Screamer, I'd almost need a graphic EQ in the FX loop to sculpt it, the same way a Mesa Boogie Mark series amp gets its famous tone. I'll save my Tube Screamer for the Vibro-Champ.

Last edited:

SlyStrat

Reaction score
The Studio Vintage arrived today and I'm comparing against my Origin 50.
Celestion Redbacks are my speakers.
I'm starting to prefer the SV more.
The SV is too loud to get the distortion and sustain I want so I'm using a Barber Direct Drive Compact OD pedal. (Stratocaster)
I have the Barber at the highest gain it can give.
Was jamming with this clip and very I'm close in tone.
Its a crappy video but I like it.
Make sure you check out the licks at 5:08.

Trower from '73-now is the tone I prefer. And his style of soloing.

Michael Roe

Reaction score
@Michael Roe Great videos. Love that clean.

In the second video, am I wrong but you are now boosting with a TS? Thanks for all those videos. If you get tired, send me that SV head! ;) Rock on!
Thanks man!
Yes, during the vid I turn it on. The beginning is just straight into the amp. I forgot to put the caption in that vid to say when what pedal was on or off. I actually say it but it may be hard to hear.
Edit: Wait, are you talking about the clean vid? On that one I have the EP Booster on the entire time.

jmp45

Reaction score
how come no manufacturer ever came with a nicer looking headshell than those plexy-type heads ? there is no better looking amp than those JTM45/1959/1987/SV20H etc.

+1, an iconic classic, simple, all you need. When I see a Marshall four holer I know there is going to be good tone, power and ringing ears.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
I’m getting ready off load a class 5 MKII combo a 2466 and a few other amps and I’ve been eyeballing one of these heads and matching slant cab but here is my question:
I’ve got an unmolested metal panel ‘72 super lead that sounds really good! That I push through a 1960 4x12.

The head has a larmar ppmiv that I leave at noon and a hotplate that I use to knock it down a few dB.

Bedroom volume is not a concern for me. I live out in the country and if I want to play late at night I knock the larmar way down.

So I’m torn how much the studio vintage will give me over my current setup? If anything?

I sent you a pm.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
unfortunately we do not have the same generous return policy in Sweden, so if you buy it in a store you got to keep it, If the amplifier is not faulty.

No return policy at all??!!

marshallmellowed

Reaction score

The best approach, at least if it were me, would be to buy one and compare the two. If you occasionally like cranking your 50 or 100 watt amp up (like I do), don't expect that same level of punch from a 20w amp. There's a noticable difference, even between a 50w and 100w amp. If you only play your SL at low volumes, the SV20 would probably be a good alternative.

johan.b

Reaction score
Apparently only a small number of amps came to Sweden, so I'll have to wait. .:sad:
... but I'm already planning a common cathode mod to make the bright channel more like a Super bass. . really simple...bright channel a little bit fatter and channel volumes will interact without link...
.... up to 8 weeks...:ugh:
J

Michael Roe

Reaction score
Thanks so much!

Well, it has to be said that the Origin is not far away, at list in a You Tube Vide. What is your opinion in person comparing the 2?
I notice more of a difference in the room. Playing a plexi is an experience. Not just the sound but the interaction, dynamics and feel is just something you have to experience.
I guess another way to explain the difference is that the Origin feels more like an amp sim and the SV is the real deal. Recorded you could probably get very close but, live there is a definitive and noticeable difference.

SGFA

Reaction score
I notice more of a difference in the room. Playing a plexi is an experience. Not just the sound but the interaction, dynamics and feel is just something you have to experience.
I guess another way to explain the difference is that the Origin feels more like an amp sim and the SV is the real deal. Recorded you could probably get very close but, live there is a definitive and noticeable difference.
Very well explained!

Chris4189

Reaction score
The best approach, at least if it were me, would be to buy one and compare the two. If you occasionally like cranking your 50 or 100 watt amp up (like I do), don't expect that same level of punch from a 20w amp. There's a noticable difference, even between a 50w and 100w amp. If you only play your SL at low volumes, the SV20 would probably be a good alternative.

My ‘72 is a 100 watt. I play it somewhat cranked I guess all the time. Depending on what I’m playing, I’ll have the volume on anywhere from 4-10 (I don’t jumper) and the larmar running at noon so it moving air and then I’ll knock 4 to 8 dB off with the hotplate.

Low volume is what Was attracting me To it but again I just don’t know if it going to give me anything any better then what i got now because 99% of the time I’m running the 1959 as described above.

Latest posts