• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My SV20H is connected to a 2x12 with one V30 and one Creamback 65. I think it sounds absolutely fantastic. I rolled some speakers until I found this combination. Now, I like classic rock and blues. Nothing metal, so anything with too much low end, without adding it, would be a turn off for me.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Any recommendations on a 2×12 cabinet to go with the SV20H? Not necessarily Marshall. I was looking at MojoTone. Also, speaker recommendations would be helpful too.

I use a Marshall 2061CX 2x12 with my SV20H.

I have the stock G12H Anniversaries in it. I've run Celestion Heritage G12H55hz and G12M20. I actually prefer that combination but i went back to the Anniversaries because i get more volume overall out of them. The G12M20 is only 96db. Sounds great but the volume cut is noticeable.

I wish i had another G12H55hz because i have a hunch 2 of those would be a winner in that cab. I use that speaker in my open back 1x12 with the SV. But, even though the 20 gets overwhelmed by the 55hz it does fill in a spot in the mids. Makes me wonder if maybe a Heritage 75hz might be a good mix and is 100db like the 55hz.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I think I've found my area settings on my SV20H. I'm using a stock 2061CX.

At 20 watts with P M T all on 10. Bass around 2. High treble around 7 and high normal around 5 bridged and plugged into high treble first.

There's not a bad tone in this amp no matter where the controls are set but this got me that rude snarly bite that makes me think classic rock superlead that sits so well in a mix. It's not overly distorted but has grit and the sustain is there. Just a little back off on the guitar and it's clean. I was using my Flying V which up til now was always best with heavier distortion but it just killed with this today. I'm going with this the next jam session and maybe this was that little extra something I've been wanting. I just wasn't pushing it enough eq wise. Already been in love with it but today was an "Oh Shit!!" moment.

Last edited:

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Holy moly when im at 7 its screaming like crazy

It was more harmonically rich than just distorted. But, my Flying V drives an amp a lot different from my Les Paul. My LP would've pushed that to even more richness. My V kinda sits between a LP and a Stratocaster.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Holy moly when im at 7 its screaming like crazy

It was more harmonically rich than just distorted. But, my Flying V drives an amp a lot different from my Les Paul. My LP would've pushed that to even more richness. My V kinda sits between a LP and a Stratocaster.

mad5066

Reaction score
Any mods from and original plexi could be applied here as well minus the fx loop for obvious reasons. You would just need to locate the areas of interest to solder to since it uses a pcb vice being hand wired, so it would be a little more difficult but doable.

robaxeman

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just got my SV20H, having previously had a JCM900 combo, then a DSL20H, played through a 1922 can (pair of G12T 75s). I play mainly a 2008 LP standard. As has been discussed at length in this thread, the SV20H is incredibly loud, so I play it through a THD Hotplate to calm it down. Do I lose tone.....of course. But it's not so bad,band still sounds better than the DSL20H with it's master volume (to my ears of course). The tonal possibilities of the SV are just amazing, but what really stands out to me is how clean the sound is. Maybe that's the wrong word.... articulate, perhaps? Sorry for not having the vocab to explain what I mean!
Anyhow, to my queries towards the assembled experts....
1. I can't get a really overdriven sound, even with the loudness knobs at 10. Sure, it's really breaking up, but I was expecting more saturation at full volume. Am I expecting too much, or am I missing something?

2. The volume I get from the high treble channel is way more than from the normal channel. Again is this to be expected or is maybe the amp faulty in some way? ( I purchased it from eBay... it's about 12 months old)

Sorry for the long rambling post, but I'd appreciate any observations/guidance on this.
Cheers.

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
It's not that the Normal channel is not as loud, it's mostly that the High Treble one is much brighter and present, which makes it feel louder.
And if you want more saturation and compression, there's a simple fix for this: do as countless players have done with Plexis over the years, and use some kind of boost. Want something more 70s ? Use a treble booster or some variation around the EP preamp. Want more 80s rock ? Tubescreamer or OD-1 (or SD-1)or any variation of those. More modern ? OCD or mild distortion. Or possibly some kind of clean boost.
Lots of options, and pretty much all pedals sound great through the SV.

robaxeman

Reaction score
Hi WellBurnTheSky.... Many thanks for the reply, and yes I was quite surprised at just how bleeding-ear-inducing the high treble channel is! Kind of can't believe how much louder it is than the normal channel, hence my question. As for pedals I've been playing around with a Tubescreamer and an old Korg Toneworks AX1000, separately, and for sure I can get some great feeling tones, but I guess I was hoping for a 'just the amp' setup. As I understood it ( read on internet), Eric Clapton used the plexi pretty much without pedals (maybe occasionally a fuzz box or way) so I was hoping for his kind of sound.

Again, many thanks for the response.

G the wildman

Reaction score
For guitar, same for me. High Treble is where it's at, especially for those classic rock tones. Though I can see hitting the Normal channel with a treble booster working pretty well.
For bass, plugging into the Normal channel sounds pretty cool, it has a Geezer Butler/Lemmy vibe that works great for some stuff. Very fat and gnarly.
I have been in the normal channel jumped since I got it. But just gone into high treble jumped. Much better I think. Just needs a little edge taken off.

But it seems to be where Kossoff and ACDC live. Also seems to have a wider range of dynamism through the guitar volume. I think will be staying here.

G

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just got my SV20H, having previously had a JCM900 combo, then a DSL20H, played through a 1922 can (pair of G12T 75s). I play mainly a 2008 LP standard. As has been discussed at length in this thread, the SV20H is incredibly loud, so I play it through a THD Hotplate to calm it down. Do I lose tone.....of course. But it's not so bad,band still sounds better than the DSL20H with it's master volume (to my ears of course). The tonal possibilities of the SV are just amazing, but what really stands out to me is how clean the sound is. Maybe that's the wrong word.... articulate, perhaps? Sorry for not having the vocab to explain what I mean!
Anyhow, to my queries towards the assembled experts....
1. I can't get a really overdriven sound, even with the loudness knobs at 10. Sure, it's really breaking up, but I was expecting more saturation at full volume. Am I expecting too much, or am I missing something?

2. The volume I get from the high treble channel is way more than from the normal channel. Again is this to be expected or is maybe the amp faulty in some way? ( I purchased it from eBay... it's about 12 months old)

Sorry for the long rambling post, but I'd appreciate any observations/guidance on this.
Cheers.
Are you jumping the channels? (I didn’t see it in your post, maybe I missed it though). If not, try it I’m sure it’ll help.

robaxeman

Reaction score
Are you jumping the channels? (I didn’t see it in your post, maybe I missed it though). If not, try it I’m sure it’ll help.
Hi Scozz. Yes I'm jumpering, and it certainly does make a difference but not as much as I had expected....the high treble channel seems to dominate. Hence my query to see if anyone else experienced (what seems to me to be) lower volume on the normal channel.
Thanks for replying.
R.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hi Scozz. Yes I'm jumpering, and it certainly does make a difference but not as much as I had expected....the high treble channel seems to dominate. Hence my query to see if anyone else experienced (what seems to me to be) lower volume on the normal channel.
Thanks for replying.
R.
I just tested mine and both channels are the same volume, something is wrong with your amp.