• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jenfi

Reaction score
@WellBurnTheSky I have already test an eq pedal in the loop, not a good solution because the other guitarist of my band has a good sound that pass through the mix a lot...

lespaulsg

Reaction score
Congrats, killer amp collection ! And yes, the SV is a marvelous amp, sounds and feels just right.

Since you have both the SV20 and OR20, quick question: is the SV louder ? I'm thinking of getting an OR20 to go along my SV and be both my backup amp and the 2nd side of a stereo rig...

to me, the sv sounded louder. The origins volume comes when you turn the gain past 9 o clock (the boost does help but i forgot to test it here but with the boost, i think it brings the levels close to each other)

the sv is overall more full (and to my ears, overall better), but the origin gets about 90% of it. Having both does feel redundant so I will most likely gift it to someone. If I was a gigging player, id definitely keep the origin, too.

Last edited:

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
to me, the sv sounded louder. The origins volume comes when you turn the gain past 9 o clock (the boost does help but i forgot to test it here but with the boost, i think it brings the levels close to each other)

the sv is overall more full (and to my ears, overall better), but the origin gets about 90% of it. Having both does feel redundant so I will most likely gift it to someone. If I was a gigging player, id definitely keep the origin, too.
Thanks !
The idea (which is how I've been running stereo on bigger stages) is specifically to use the preamp in the SV and split signal at the delay pedal, then get into both FX returns (SV and O20). So most of the time I'd only use the power amp in the Origin. Back before Covid and lockdowns, I was using my DSL100 for that purpose, but it's quite a bit louder than the SV so I needed to turn it down, plus hauling around a 23kg head just for this when my main tone comes from the smaller, 9.5kg head, is kinda silly. Plus having another head that gets cleaner than the SV at gig volume if needed (I sub for friends from time to time) might come handy at some point. I'm down to either the O20 or the 2525H at that point, but the O20 is half the price, sooooo...

Orys

Reaction score
Hi there guys!
I'm new here, this is my first post.
I am planning to buy the SV20c however I live in a flat.
Why buy that amp you'd ask me? Well because I want it.
I already have the anniversary 1w ofset and love so I wanted to get a bigger amp if I ever get a house and be able to run it at least on 5w.
For the tiome being I'd like to get the SV20c and use it with an attenuator. I think it's a great amp to have anbyway.
I want to ask for a good attenuator. I know it's been discussed allover the thread but I'd like some decent answer.
I've seen many suggesting the Weber minimass 50, but some say it alters the tone too much.
I had the Tube Amp Doctor Silencer a couple of years ago and was using it on my Supro Blues King 12 however I didn't like it much so I sold it.
So, I haven't got any attenuator at all and want to get the amp.
I am on a small Greek island so I'll have to order an attenuator and will not be able to test it or return it if it sucks.
Hope you guys can help.

Thanks in advance.
Tio

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Tio and welcome to the forum.

What small island in Greece are you living on ?
I am planning to building a house on Karpathos :)

I use Weber mini mass 50 with my SV20H, works great.

I also have the JTM1 Offset amp, sounds fantastic.

Cheers :cheers:

Orys

Reaction score
Hi Tio and welcome to the forum.

What small island in Greece are you living on ?
I am planning to building a house on Karpathos :)

I use Weber mini mass 50 with my SV20H, works great.

I also have the JTM1 Offset amp, sounds fantastic.

Cheers :cheers:

I'm in Cyprus my friend.
The half occupied Greek island that was never united with the motherland.
Politics.........
I want to get this amp ASAP as I'm worried I won't be able to get another chance.

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

faerdi

Reaction score
Hi there guys!
I'm new here, this is my first post.
I am planning to buy the SV20c however I live in a flat.
Why buy that amp you'd ask me? Well because I want it.
I already have the anniversary 1w ofset and love so I wanted to get a bigger amp if I ever get a house and be able to run it at least on 5w.
For the tiome being I'd like to get the SV20c and use it with an attenuator. I think it's a great amp to have anbyway.
I want to ask for a good attenuator. I know it's been discussed allover the thread but I'd like some decent answer.
I've seen many suggesting the Weber minimass 50, but some say it alters the tone too much.
I had the Tube Amp Doctor Silencer a couple of years ago and was using it on my Supro Blues King 12 however I didn't like it much so I sold it.
So, I haven't got any attenuator at all and want to get the amp.
I am on a small Greek island so I'll have to order an attenuator and will not be able to test it or return it if it sucks.
Hope you guys can help.

Thanks in advance.
Tio
Hey Tio, greetings from Rhodes! (I don‘t live here, just on vacation.)
I bought the Tone King Iron Man (Mini) from thomann for using it with my SV20 and the SV212. The rig sounds fantastic in my opinion. Only downside is the fixed impedance of the Iron Man Mini attenuator (8 Ohms). So you can‘t use it with every cab (cab needs also to be 8 Ohms). This applies only to the Iron Man Mini. It‘s bigger brother offers switchable impedances, so you can use it along with almost every cab. The attenuator is so good that I own both, the big one and the Mini. No regrets.

Orys

Reaction score
Hey Tio, greetings from Rhodes! (I don‘t live here, just on vacation.)
I bought the Tone King Iron Man (Mini) from thomann for using it with my SV20 and the SV212. The rig sounds fantastic in my opinion. Only downside is the fixed impedance of the Iron Man Mini attenuator (8 Ohms). So you can‘t use it with every cab (cab needs also to be 8 Ohms). This applies only to the Iron Man Mini. It‘s bigger brother offers switchable impedances, so you can use it along with almost every cab. The attenuator is so good that I own both, the big one and the Mini. No regrets.

What a great place to be right now my friend.
Judging of how close it is to us, I expect it to be around 28 Celsius right now? ;)
I'm getting the combo, need to search for the impedance of the speaker and act appropriately.
Thank you very much for your advice and have a great vacation man!!!

hpharley90

Reaction score
Yes I did @Mitchell Pearrow! Already have done my first mod.. Do you like Skittles?
cliffcolours.jpg
:cool:
i like those hex nuts very much. Were can I get those?

junk notes

Reaction score
Marshall uses Cliff jacks. You should not have any problem acquiring these hex nuts. They can be found in many places on the internet such as electrical component and amp suppliers.
These were direct form U.K. :yesway:
cliffnut-Wht.jpg

Yes these are nice little trinkets. Nice having your own color scheme. For the effects Send and Return hookups the colors make it easier than the basic black; even put some on the Marshall attenuator for a no-brainer - visual insurance.
I am guessing there are more cool things to customized your personal gear with..

hpharley90

Reaction score
Marshall uses Cliff jacks. You should not have any problem acquiring these hex nuts. They can be found in many places on the internet such as electrical component and amp suppliers.
These were direct form U.K. :yesway:
cliffnut-Wht.jpg

Yes these are nice little trinkets. Nice having your own color scheme. For the effects Send and Return hookups the colors make it easier than the basic black; even put some on the Marshall attenuator for a no-brainer - visual insurance.
I am guessing there are more cool things to customized your personal gear with..
yes thanks..i like color coded so i can see in dim light....very cool..

hpharley90

Reaction score
Question about DI on back of head. How is it used and instrument or speaker cable? Can I run it to my Scarlett 2i2?

Orys

Reaction score
nice!
(The Iron Man is rated for 30-watt 8 Ohm amplifiers. The Weber is a 50w with ohms select..)

Damn!
You're right. The Ironman is only for 8Ohm :(
But is the Weber as good?
I've seen some videos of the Ironman which doesn't seem to alter the tone.

junk notes

Reaction score
Have not acquainted myself with the Ironman, only from what I have read, but I've had the THDs, Webers and the like. All depends on what features You are going after with your sound and operational volumes..
I too am in the market once again, although already have the Marshall attenuator for my Plexis and JCM800s, the BC unleashed v2 will be in the stable soon due to its features and should compliment my lower watt amps nicely.
For my active setup, I will marry the Bad Cat to the head, (keep the PB-100 for the bigger amps), and incorporating an AmpRX BrownBox as a permanent fixture for the SV20H. YMMV