The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

booh

Reaction score
Just wanted to add a low volume solution for those still searching for one. I've been gigging with the SV20H and the SV212 loaded with '72 Pulsonic-coned Greenbacks since I bought in late 2019. I've always used either a Bad Cat Unleash 2 or a Fryette PS2 to attenuate it and it sounds great. I've tried the volume box in the effects loop with less than satisfying results since I want the gain to come from the amp.

Lately, I've been wanting a quicker/easier set-up and tried a Timmy pedal in the loop, which is a really transparent pedal. With the volume knob very low on the Timmy, I can use the Bass, Treble and Gain knobs to compensate for the changes resulting from the power section of the amp not getting as much signal. I've found with the Volume on 7-8 o'clock, Bass at full, Treble at 5 o'clock, and Gain at noon on the Timmy, the tone is very close to the unattenuated sound of the SV20 at a much more reasonable volume. I think it sounds closer than the Bad Cat or Fryette. The added benefit is that I can run a boost for solos after the Timmy (I use the full-sized Spark), along with my delays and reverbs. YMMV.

I also had good results with a tube driver clone as a volume in the effects loop (volume down, overdrive as desired) to make up for the loss of power amp saturation. I like it better than just a jhs black box or similar.

Anthony8801

Reaction score
I also had good results with a tube driver clone as a volume in the effects loop (volume down, overdrive as desired) to make up for the loss of power amp saturation. I like it better than just a jhs black box or similar.

Put my tube screamer mini in the effects loop, sounded really good! Had the gain all the way down and just used the volume, but you could also add a bit of gain for more crunch. Sounded great for what I need.

BlueX

Reaction score
First time poster, read through a lot of the thread just for fun, Even though I don’t really understand much about speakers and cabs, it was pretty informative, and for the most part convinced me to pick up this amp.

I just grabbed the SV20c, im pretty well still a beginner, I taught myself to play just for fun, over the pandemic it really became a big hobby for me. Im just a basement player with a couple buddies that I jam with, but nothing crazy.

I definitely didn’t need this amp, nor am I skilled enough to take advantage of its true potential, but boy this thing is fun!! This this is WAY more than I need, it’s crazy loud, it’s probably one of the more difficult amps to tame (in my small experience) but it is seriously so much fun!

I’ve always gravitated towards fender amps, I’ve bought and sold quite a few during the last couple years and none of them have really got me super excited. I currently have a tone master deluxe reverb which I adore because of the power attenuation that still sounds great at lower volumes, but I’ve always wanted that Marshall sound.

The studio series was always way out of my league, but something came up locally that was within my budget range, so I sold some stuff and grabbed it.

I was able to crank the amp at 5 watts last night, and holy moly that thing is crazy!! Just the sound quality, and that sweet breakup sound, it’s been well worth the purchase so far. Im going to purchase the JHS LBB to play at quieter volumes, but I can’t get over how excited I am for this amp.
Welcome to the forum, and to the "SV20 club"!

If you're still looking for attenuator, I can really recommend the JohnH desigh (link to thread).

It's easy to build if you know how to solder, or know someone who can help. Parts cost about USD 100-150 depening on where you buy them.

Anthony8801

Reaction score

If you're still looking for attenuator, I can really recommend the JohnH desigh

It's easy to build if you know how to solder, or know someone who can help. Parts cost about USD 100-150 depening on where you buy them.

Thank you for the recommendation! I’m going to look into it for sure.

For now, I’m enjoying just throwing a pedal in the effects loop, works good! But in the future I’m definitely going to look at a better solution

donwagar

Reaction score
Thank you for the recommendation! I’m going to look into it for sure.

For now, I’m enjoying just throwing a pedal in the effects loop, works good! But in the future I’m definitely going to look at a better solution

First thing I did when I bought my SV20C was to build a JohnH attenuator. WAY better than trying something in the loop.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Not to pass judgement on this amp before I've had a chance to try one, but wont this amp only be good for those gigging mofo's and not us home players, its gonna be super loud without an attenuator or a ppimv. Are my thoughts off base? I suspect just to get edge of breakup its gonna have to be ear blistering loud.
That was 3.5 years ago I posted that, I'm glad I got one! 3.5 years later and I still love it! :yesway:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

If you're still looking for attenuator, I can really recommend the JohnH desigh (link to thread).

I'm itching to do exactly this! :yesway:

TheSaz

Reaction score
They're just great amps. Jim really knew what he was doing, he had a keen ear for his craft. Can you imagine the late 70s into the 80s without Marshalls? 🙈 even the valvestates were pretty cool! 👌

Hvhatmf

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum and say hi to you all. I have purchased a sv20h head a week ago. I have a question about it. The high sensitive and low sensitive inputs on both the treble and normal channel are inverted, meaning that the loudest input is the bottom one. This should be the other way around no? I do not think there is anything wrong with the sound of the amp. Is it likely this is a “small” build mistake or should I return it ? Thanks !

Tincup

Reaction score
Put some kt66 tubes in, shooting for more of a jtm sound, mostly just because I got some extra kt66, and I have a jtm with kt66 to compare it with. I’d say there’s definitely more of a jtm feel, but I like the breakup of the el34 more. If I only had the sv20h, and wanted a little more headroom and bass it would be an option. It just adds to the list of things the sv20h can do.

Last edited:

BlueX

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum and say hi to you all. I have purchased a sv20h head a week ago. I have a question about it. The high sensitive and low sensitive inputs on both the treble and normal channel are inverted, meaning that the loudest input is the bottom one. This should be the other way around no? I do not think there is anything wrong with the sound of the amp. Is it likely this is a “small” build mistake or should I return it ? Thanks !
Welcome to the forum!
My SV20H has the loudest input in the top ones, for both High Treble and Normal. Seems like a good idea to contact the place where you bought it, and to return it.

dilver

Reaction score
Recent SV20C owner here… I was trying different preamp tubes in different positions to see where they sounded best. I’m assuming that from right to left in this picture the tubes go V1 V2 V3 and when I look at the wiring diagram (I’m assuming its the same for a SV20C), it looks like both set of inputs go through V1, first. Is that correct?

I ended up with an old RCA long blackplate in V2, with RCA short grey plates in V1 and V3. Earliest breakup, smoothest distortion, whereas, trying the blackplate in V1 resulted in greater headroom before breakup.

I haven’t decided whether or not to swap out the power tubes as they sound good and I’ve read that the JJ el34 is actually a well designed/made tube.

Thoughts on all of the above?
4D18AD71-047F-430B-A53A-FFD1514AC464.jpeg8EF93E3F-268C-44D6-9CD9-369C065278C7.jpg

G the wildman

Reaction score
Good Morning Gentlemen and I assume some Ladies.

Yesterday I had a garden party and played live for the first time. I used my SV20 Head and 1x12 cab, I had a strat and pedal board.

There were 5 musicians inc. me. But I still found that I needed my attenuator, so that I did not dominate.This was not a problem but I could not get it sounding crisp without. (Mushy)

Is this normal or just my inexperience?

G