• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Needed some spare power tubes so I bought these. Partly because they were cheap but partly because the review was reasonable.

On first twang they're OK. Bit bright so I had to turn down the presence. They're just a bit lacking in character. Maybe I'll manage to tweak it a bit better. They also do a KT66. Kind've wish I'd bought them instead.
They're definitely not as good as the groove tube mullard replicas which are still my fave current production tubes.

Steph#67

Reaction score
It seems to me your question was answered a few pages back from @tce63,...get an attenuator.

Yeah the Little BB works great for what it is, and I know my buddy @pedecamp loves it and thinks it the shits. But they’re nowhere near as good as using a real attenuator.

The LBB is nothing more than a master volume in the loop, using it will not help you to drive the power tubes like an attenuator will.

As @tce63 mentioned get a Weber Minimass directly from Weber,...

https://tedweber.com/minimass/
Hi everyone,

It's been quite a while :) !
Finally got a Weber Minimass with headphones output ...
Indeed, the JHS LBB is a cool and cheap way to tame the beast but it's truely nowhere as good as the attenuator ...
Now I can enjoy my amp and its unique tone !!!
Special thanks to Mr @WellBurnTheSky for his availability and precious help during my quest for pure tones ;)
Plus being able to use headphones and play anytime day or night is a blast !!!!!

Attachments

• 67915884001--E90E98CB-0CD9-41E4-88BC-8B9EB3544C12-modif.jpg
    67915884001--E90E98CB-0CD9-41E4-88BC-8B9EB3544C12-modif.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-1228-modif.jpg
    IMG-1228-modif.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 10

K Dub

Reaction score
I am going to use the JHS Little Black Box until my John H Attenuator is finished. This got me wondering if the LBB can be used in addition to an attenuator to dial in the tone. The LBB goes in the FX loop and the attenuator goes between the amp and speaker. Has anyone tried this?

colchar

Reaction score
I know this will probably have been asked, but I don't want to read through the entire thread to find the posts.

Has anyone here tried the SV20 with the JohnH simple attenuator? If so, what are your impressions?

BlueX

Reaction score
I know this will probably have been asked, but I don't want to read through the entire thread to find the posts.

Has anyone here tried the SV20 with the JohnH simple attenuator? If so, what are your impressions?
Yes, I built the M2 version of the JohnH attenuator and am using it together with my SV20H. I think it is as good as its reputation. To me it preserves the tone at all attenuation levels. Really nice to dial in the amp according to your liking and then just lowering the volume without loss of tone. It's not whispering quiet though, not even at full attenuation. When I crank the amp I would still disturb someone trying to sleep in the next room (think I've written this before).

I also have the Weber MiniMASS. That's a good attenuator at moderate attenuation. Problem is with increased attenuation. Then I think a lot of the tone is lost, even with Treble Boost engaged. My experierence here matches the description @JohnH has made a couple of times.

Last edited:

Silverdome

Reaction score
Just wanted to say I've joined the group as a 'Plexi' owner. The info in this thread along with my demo the SV20H last December got me going. Thanks to everyone in here and for Marshall for making this amp to spark my interest. I ended up with a Rockitt 50 watt clone of a Plexi and based on my demo and all my years of listening to that classic plexi sound on all those great rock n roll records I'm home. This clone gets me there. If the SV20H didn't jump up in price I would have picked one up easily, it's an incredible amp.

donwagar

Reaction score

Yes, the SV20 was the reason I built the JohnH Attenuator.

I think it works extremely well. To get the tone out of the SV that I want, I set the High Treble around 8 and Normal around 6, jumpered.

junk notes

Reaction score
Seen that, very good! I see videos with others using simple setups, trying to get those VH tones, but he does a very good job! I gave the SV a VH test run several months ago using a preamp pedal into High Treble Loudness 1 input 1, and a 6 band EQ in Normal Loudness 2 input 1, but I was not jumpered as in the video. Both plugged into top inputs split with Y-cable.
I was attenuated, and on the low watt setting on the amp, single variac down to 105v. A simple recording using a phone mic.

I will try to use his settings in the video and see if that dials in closer to VH Brown, because it sounds VH good! :yesway:

Reaction score
IMG_1101.jpeg

Hi to everyone here!
I've been a reader of this forum for quite a while now but thought it would be good to post my experiences with my SV20C. Maybe helpful to some.

Prior to buying the Mini Plexi, I've used to play a '82 2204 with an Orange 2x12 CB Made in the UK cab with V30s. Besides that I play a '73 Vibrochamp with a Jensen P10r Alnico.

The mini Plexi gets played mostly wiith my new Gibson SG '61 Standard in Eb which I love.

Disclaimer: I play only at home. The band is gone and people seem to get lazy :)

So, first thing I read here is that everybody seems to be ditching the speaker and recommend at least a Greenback. Did that and went back to the V-Type. Why? I liked the bottom end it gives me better.

2nd thing is that everybody dismisses the Bugera PS1 attenuator claiming it sucks tone. Can't say anything bad about the Bugera. I use it with my amp with great results at TV volume levels or maybe slightly above that.
First I thought it is crap, when I first used it and it took me some time to dialing in the amp... it is my first Plexi after all and after fiddling the knobs of my amp and the Bugera, I found the sound I wished for.
It saved me of buying a much more expensive attenuator.

3rd thing I've noticed is, no pop in the effects loop using TB pedals (a JAM Big Chill trem and the MXR Carbon Cop delay). Mine was build in the 22nd week of 2019.

I like it more than my 2204 as it is warmer, has this sag when pushed and more grit/hair in the overdrive and takes pedals really well (eventhough I seem to love the sound being somewhat crashed by overdriving the input). I also play a JMI ToneBender MKII which I do really like and the High Input of my 2204 doesn't like it at at.

Thanks for reading and yeah, love it :.)