The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

catscanman

Reaction score
Just got my SV20 and using it with a 1x12 Suhr cab and Weber Mini Mass and it sounds great but now want a compact 2x12 cab to use with it. Any recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Madfinger

Reaction score
What speakers/cabs have people tried? Would love to get some insight. I have a 2061cx load with heritage g12h30's that sounds great.

I also have two very well broken inn G12M greenbacks from an 89' Bluesbreaker RI, and I have a single Alnico Gold (although that might be a bit bright I'm thinking).

Planning on trying combinations of the heritage/greenbacks, as well as trying the greenbacks on their own.

Any other suggestions?
If you have a rhythm & bass player can you try the gold & report back with your opinion?

Kim Lucky Day

Reaction score
Just got my SV20 and using it with a 1x12 Suhr cab and Weber Mini Mass and it sounds great but now want a compact 2x12 cab to use with it. Any recommendations. Thanks in advance.
A 1966B is a great 2x12, size wise it is slightly wider than the SV20H. G12T75's in mine. These are plywood cabinets with an MDF back panel. I also stack a 1965A 4x10 on top and run my SV20H through both. It's not a full stack, it's not a mini stack... What would you call it, I guess? Looks badass and sounds great, though.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
A 1966B is a great 2x12, size wise it is slightly wider than the SV20H. G12T75's in mine. These are plywood cabinets with an MDF back panel. I also stack a 1965A 4x10 on top and run my SV20H through both. It's not a full stack, it's not a mini stack... What would you call it, I guess? Looks badass and sounds great, though.
Just call it a stack !!!!
Cheers Mitch

Madfinger

Reaction score
A six pack stack ?

T.J.

Reaction score
Well .... I also have a Fender Jazz Bass that I occasionally use with it ..... but mainly use it for Guitar...
I use an ancient 1st run modded MXR Micro Amp pedal as a clean boost . Sounds great !!! :)
Clean tones sound like a Stratocaster .... cause that's what I use for clean tones when I'm not just cleaning up this or that guitar w/ volume knob. :)

Also ... I cannot wait to get my hands on an SV20 in about a month or so ... I'm ready.

Madfinger

Reaction score
Do you use the bass side for anything?

What pedals do you use with it. How is it on clean work?

David Vee has some very handy settings for these on TGP ( Marshall 2061x Love) thread.
You can jumper channels like a plexi!
I was gassing for one of these a while back but @ the 11th hour pulled the trigger on the SV20H ( they were just released here at that time ) & a custom made 1x12 which suited my budget perfectly then. Still have bad gas for a 2061x though.

Silverburst

Reaction score
Just pickup up mine yesterday and wanted to give it a quick 1min fling this morning to see if everyhting is fine. hooked up my 4x12 greenback x g12t75 put it in 5w mode with my volume on the guitar open, fidling on the strings with my left hand while openening the treble channel a bit too enthousiastic with my right hand... yeow instant uppercut! still impressed each time with how loud 5 watt can be. tonight it jettenuator night!

Silverburst

Reaction score
cranked the powersection tonight with a jettenuator. that's where the beast lives with volumes at 7-8 woa. very nice kronk and response!

what so you guys use the boost it into singing and harmonics? and how do you set it? like boosting a front with drive dailed back and volume up on drive pedals or the other way round?

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Good News! The SV 20 head has dropped in price in the UK from £849 to £725

I suppose sales are slowing.

I saw someone get a deal on another thread for £656, so deals are around if you keep your eyes open.

Having said that, I've had mine 8 months now and it's been used a lot, so I can live with having paid £800 or so for it.

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
cranked the powersection tonight with a jettenuator. that's where the beast lives with volumes at 7-8 woa. very nice kronk and response!

what so you guys use the boost it into singing and harmonics? and how do you set it? like boosting a front with drive dailed back and volume up on drive pedals or the other way round?

Usually I only use the volume knob on the guitar, but I have used a TC Spark Boost as a Clean boost with great result

Last edited: