• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LÉD ZØSØ

Reaction score
NAD yesterday.

Ordered a SV20H from Sweetwater, this past Thursday night. Fedex dropped it off on my front porch Saturday afternoon. Less than 48 hours shipping time. I was truly impressed with how fast it got here.

But, to the fun part. I've owned a Lead 100 MOSFET head for about 25 years, a Class 5 head for about 10 years, and Mesa Single Recto Series 2 head, for about 12 or 13. The Marshalls both sound good, in their own way. The Boogie is a great sounding amp, and is usually what I plug into. But I've ALWAYS wanted a Plexi.

I set up on one of my Marshall 4 x 10 cabs, and let it warm up for a short while. I warned my wife, "It Might Get Loud" (movie ref). She was like Uh Oh. Jumped the 4 holer, plugged straight in (no pedals or anything) and dicked around with the volumes, at 20 watts. I rarely dime an amp, so I'm not accustomed to the cranked ear splitting loudness. But I cranked it, and blended the channels to my liking. It was loud to say the least. Window rattling loud. I flipped it down to 5 watts, and kept it cranked. Still VERY loud, but tolerable. HOLY CARP ... the tone, harmonics, saturation, etc etc yada yada ... was just blasting out of it. Everything that I hoped for from this amp was there in spades. Totally in love with this thing. Easy to dial in a great sound.

I couldn't shut up about it at supper time, I was so stoked about the sound. Wife nodded her head a lot, probably wondering when I was gonna start eating.

Today, I did a comparison between the Class 5 head and SV20H. Keep in mind, the Class 5 is literally about $1K cheaper than the SV20H. So results were what you'd expect. Controls set at 5 o'clock. The Class 5 cranked, sounded a good bit thinner on the bottom end. Kind of like just playing the bright channel on the SC20H. But it was just as loud as the SC20H at 5 watts. To get a tone that I liked, I adjusted the tone controls a bit. But compared to the SC20H, it was a bit fizzy and thin. This is in no way a knock against the Class 5. At it's price point, its well worth the money. But in a quickie basement amp shootout, the SC20H handily dominated.

In the near future, I'm gonna compare the Single Rec against the SC20H. I realize these are 2 different animals, and the results are probably going to be closer but different, with the Mesa having 2 channels, and each channel having 3 gain settings and master volume.

Anywho, since my wife has grown tired of my Marshall fanboi rambling, I thought I'd run it up the flagpole here.

Nothing beats new amp day ... except for maybe new guitar day, or birthday sexy time.

Last edited:

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
Anybody have a recommendation for a boost pedal for the SV20H?
Lots of possible choices, depending on what you want to achieve...

Edit: to elaborate a bit, lots of pedals sound great in front of the SV, but choosing the one that woks for you depends on quite a few factors: 1) which tones are you going for, 2) how much added saturation and compression are you after, 3) what is the rest of your gear (guitar, cab/speakers), and probably a few more...
Which is why I'm not a fan of blanket recommandations/statements. I have a drawer with 20+ boost/drive/distortion/EQ pedals (a majority of which I built myself), and I could find a use case for pretty much each and every one of those, depending on what I want to achieve, which is the whole point of having them in the first place.
So yeah, try a few, think about what you're after, it'll all help in steering you in the right direction.

Last edited:

Sacalait

Reaction score
I've owned my SV20 since May of 2019. I've tried a bunch of combinations of pedals including Suhr Riot, Fulltone OCD, Tumnus Deluxe, RAT, Ibanez Tube Screamer, EP Boost, EH Glove. They've come and gone off of my pedalboard but the one that's stayed most is the Tumnus Deluxe. It's been one of the others, off and on, either in front or in back of the Tumnus. Of course it's a taste thing. I'm pretty much old-school and don't want to change the tone of the SV20 much.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
WellBurnTheSky is right. Have an idea of what you're going for. It's easy to get caught up in so many boost pedals out there. What i do to just keep things simple is go for the pedals a player would've used back when you only had a few to chose from boosting a 1959. My SV20H, I've settled on 3 ways in how i use it. The normal channel sometimes for better volume control and if i want some grit i like my Whirlwind Gold Box which is a vintage spec MXR Distortion +. To me it acts a lot like the treble channel just in a pedal. Brings the bite back and i can adjust this all the way down to very comfortable volumes. If i want what i think sounds like a boosted Plexi i get back way more into the treble channel, amp is up more and hit that with my SD-1W. Has an 80s vibe to me. Amp cranked where i like it, i dont use a boost pedal.

Also, a Treble Booster sounds great into the normal channel but the amp will have to be cranked.

krb813

Reaction score
Should I even bother with a boost when I use the SV20H at home part time with my RockCrusher attenuator?

revrand

Reaction score
Ok quick update on my Marshall studio Vintage combo. Yesterday I put the combo in the closet and covered it with pillows and cranked it.
everything at 10 except the treble and presence. I did the recommended advise from the Celestion website and beat the crap out of that speaker
for 1 hour straight I mean pounded it like a heavy bag with hard hitting percussive fast rhythm playing and power chords. Just beat the crap out of my strat.
I wanted to break in the speaker it just sounded a bit bright to my liking. I heard it's a cross between a V30 and a greenback. I can't stand the V30.
I never liked it but do like the greenback. I been doing a bunch of research and can honestly say Marshall knew what they was doing going with this
particular speaker it sounds huge and nothing like a 10 inch speaker. Another thing I did was change out those pre amp tubes I put a tung-sol 12ax7
in V1 and V2 and a Tube doctor 12ax7 in the PI position. It really warmed the amp up and now the amp sounds fat and still has that crispy top end.
Nothing harsh at all just the way I want it to sound. I may even change out the power tubes to some tung-sols or maybe someone else has a better recommendation.
Anyway I was on the fence about the head or the combo and I am glad I got the combo. Before I would leave a cab at the church I would be playing at and now with covid
that has all changed. We are not even back in church yet. It sucks it's been over a year now. But it is what it is... Happy New year everybody