The photography thread.

• Thread starter Blokkadeleider
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't know that there was a launch tonight...

All the sudden, I saw a big white luminescent glow outside my window, & thought WTF? I saw the crazy trail & the space ship in front... so, I went to grab my camera & grabbed a shot. Then, after grabbing a shot, I went back in to get my longer lens (it was fitted w/ a macro), so I grabbed the 70-200 & a 3x TC & grabbed the next shot. I took a few, but, they all pretty much look the same. Then the ship flew off in the sky...

Do note, that, the time from the 1st image, & the 2nd is only about 5 minutes difference. It gets dark quick...

100/2.8 macro
View attachment 148424

70-200/2.8 w/ 3x TC for a whoppin' 600mm
View attachment 148425
Incredible shots, bro. That's like magazine/ documentary-level stuff.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
On Randy Rhoads Day, I went over to his gravesite... Early AM, I had a dentist appt., so, I thought I'd take my camera & stop by real quick, & snap a couple shots. Ended up, Randy's brother & sister showed up, so I hung out w/ them all day.

If I would have known, I would have brought my flash, but, I didn't, so, these are snapshots.

When I got home, my computer program was acting up, so, I ran an auto program. Not too thrilled w/ the results, seems too saturated, but, oh well. The originals look good, just had to reformat & resize for the web.

when I got there, this was the scene. 2 flower arrays, in the shape of crosses. The sepulture appeared as though it was decorated for Easter.

m1.jpg

on the left, this array was sent by the Osbournes, Ozzy & Sharon:
on the right, from the RR Fan Club Japan:
F2.jpg f1.jpg

F3.jpg

m2.jpg

Kathy & Kelle Rhoads
Rhoads.jpg

Some guy, drove from Seattle, & he brought a Sandovol V:
Another guy brought an unpublished framed photo:
RR Sandoval.jpg img.jpg
This couple brought an entourage, from Vegas, & were driven in a limo:

couple.jpg

they brought a few vases of flowers...
GF.jpg

all of the vases had polka-dot ribbons. One, on the left, also had an R w/ 42 on it, commemorating the 42nd anniversary of RR's death...

to be continued...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
One, on the left, also had an R w/ 42 on it, commemorating the 42nd anniversary of RR's death...

Kathy & Kelle w/ the decoration:
sisbro.jpg

Kathy posing for a portrait w/ it:
Kathy.jpg

Her license plate:
RR SIS.jpg
The "Rhoadies", as they called themselves. Most of the people who were there, at the time...
rhoadies.jpg

Kathy & Kelle w/ their spouses... Kelle was having problems w/ his knee, so he was uncomfortable standing, for any prolonged time, as you can see him muscling through the last shot.
fam.jpg

This girl came w/ a bouquet of flowers, representing Bob Daisley:
talk.jpg

They had quite the stories. We were hanging out for a bit. She says that she's working on a project or 2 w/ Bob, so, look out for that...

The end...

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Man, looking at all those photos makes me feel so old. :D I remember the day when I got the Tribute [record] album. That was my first legit listen to the Ozzy/Randy hype I'd been hearing about but never paid much attention to. I was completely blown away. I think it was probably the last live album from the era of live albums, where you'd listen to the record over and over and look at the pictures the whole time. Those were such great days to be a rock & roller.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
tell me about it...

hard to believe it's been 42 years!

I remember in 1981, when Blizzard of Ozz came out, it was pretty rad. Then they came through town & I saw them. They played w/ Motorhead. I remember it was great, but... I really didn't realize the gravity of the situation. I was a mere 14 years old & had just started going to concerts regularly...

I remember hearing about the plane wreck, & couldn't believe it. Probably the most hitting death, since Bonzo, only 2 years before...

You Can't Kill Rock 'n Roll, but you can change it's trajectory forever...

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
This spring, when the weather shapes up here in upper NY, my wife's going to build a butterfly and hummingbird garden thing. I'm really looking forward to capturing some nice photos of both of those. Last summer, we were sitting out on our 3-screened deck just talking, and a hummingbird flew in and looked at us like we were aliens. He was there for a good 20 seconds, then gone. Man, I wish I had my camera. This will give me a good opportunity to learn more a about shutter speed, where last year I worked mostly with apertures. I'd like to see if I can coordinate both: blurry backgrounds + sharp fast-moving subjects.

Last edited:

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
Found a few cool old photographs on Facebook of one of my grandfathers top fuel sand drag jeeps he created/built "Fuelish American" with the original Bigfoot that started it all. He was friends with Bob Chandler back in the day. My grandfather Bill Saylor is the one behind the jeep in the blue shirt and red pants.

Granpas Jeep with Bigfoot owner.jpg
Grandpas Jeep with Bigfoot 2.jpgGrandpas Jeep with Bigfoot 3.jpgGrandpas Jeep with Bigfoot 4.jpg

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
hummingbird flew in and looked at us like we were aliens. He was there for a good 20 seconds, the gone. Man, I wish I had my camera. This will give me a good opportunity to learn more a about shutter speed, where last year I worked mostly with apertures. I'd like to see if I can coordinate both: blurry backgrounds + sharp fast-moving subjects.
Actually, what you are after is fortunately easier on a bright day. By opening the aperture up you blur the background, especially with a longer lens.
That in turn creates a higher shutter speed to freeze action. Should work well.
I have never taken a good motion shot of a humming bird, never had the opportunity overly. I did get one of a still bird once at the cabin.
I was close enough to even use fill flash!

v8EUwmy.jpg

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Actually, what you are after is fortunately easier on a bright day. By opening the aperture up you blur the background, especially with a longer lens.
That in turn creates a higher shutter speed to freeze action. Should work well.
I have never taken a good motion shot of a humming bird, never had the opportunity overly. I did get one of a still bird once at the cabin.
I was close enough to even use fill flash!

v8EUwmy.jpg
I just use a phone but I have set the phone by our feeder in video mode then I just take stills out of the video. lol, cheating.
I estimate it's about two weeks 'til they are back around here.

Latest posts