The photography thread.

• Thread starter Blokkadeleider
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw a video on YT, where a guy was out taking video footage on the street. While he was shooting video, he would hit the shutter button to take snapshots of various things while the video kept recording.

Anyone know what this is called and how to do it? He was using the same camera that I have (Canon G7X Mark II).

bhatta

Reaction score
Hi Vin,
The Canon G7X Mark II also has a story mode hybrid auto feature that records video and still images simultaneously and combines them into a small trailer.

You can also look at this video:

Feels like I am turning in to an AI, all I did was a Google search 🤣🤣🤣

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Vin,
The Canon G7X Mark II also has a story mode hybrid auto feature that records video and still images simultaneously and combines them into a small trailer.

You can also look at this video:

Feels like I am turning in to an AI, all I did was a Google search 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks bhatta. That's a feature where the camera automatically takes snapshots itself at preset intervals. What I'm talking about is manually taking random snapshots using the shutter button while continuously filming; you're filming and grabbing snapshots at the same time. I have a cheap Sony HDRCX405 HD camcorder that does it. I don't think the G7X MkII has that capability.

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Thanks bhatta. That's a feature where the camera automatically takes snapshots itself at preset intervals. What I'm talking about is manually taking random snapshots using the shutter button while continuously filming; you're filming and grabbing snapshots at the same time. I have a cheap Sony HDRCX405 HD camcorder that does it. I don't think the G7X MkII has that capability.
If it doesn't have that feature then no you can't do it?
My SLRs all have that feature. So do 2 of the compacts. It may be called stills while video recording or such.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
If it doesn't have that feature then no you can't do it?
My SLRs all have that feature. So do 2 of the compacts. It may be called stills while video recording or such.
The Canon G7X Mark II doesn't have the capability. I used your search criteria, and found the answer below. Strange that my $230 Sony camcorder can do it, but my compact can't. Now I need to see if my EOS R50 can do it.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone here own the Sony RX100 Mark VII?

If so, I'd like to know what you think. I just ordered one, and I'm hoping it's better than my G7X MkII, which is already a nice compact.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Anyone here own the Sony RX100 Mark VII?

If so, I'd like to know what you think. I just ordered one, and I'm hoping it's better than my G7X MkII, which is already a nice compact.
Your Canon is actually a very nice little compact. Very fast lens on it, something to consider. Better in what way?
It has a fairly substantially slower lens than the Canon. The R50 should do that video still thing.
My vote is the Canon for low light capability, lens wise.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Your Canon is actually a very nice little compact. Very fast lens on it, something to consider. Better in what way?
It has a fairly substantially slower lens than the Canon. The R50 should do that video still thing.
My vote is the Canon for low light capability, lens wise.

Thanks JR. I love the G7X, but I'd like a compact with 4K, longer zoom, and an EFV, that can serve as a pseudo "satellite version" of my R50. I don't see myself touring an amusement park with a camera and 5 interchangeable lenses. The Sony checks those boxes.

The Sony arrives tomorrow. I can return the it for a full refund if I don't open the box. If I open the box, I have 14 days to return it, and there's a $200 restocking fee (@15% - the Sony is a whopping $1,300). I did a breakdown of the negatives to each camera:

RX100 VII:
can't use AF & zoom at same time (not sure if matters).
touch screen is limited (AF touch points only, but not for navigating menus - bummer, but I don't see many complaints).
not good in low light - (bummer, but the G7X isn't great either, and I'll only be using it in daylight).
Pop-up EVF can move if your eye presses on it (may not be a real issue)
no ND filter (don't know if I need it or care).

G7X Mark II:
no 4k video
not enough zoom
no VF

Last edited:

bhatta

Reaction score
Great Vin. Check out the Sony RX100

I am a very basic photographer, who's still learning with a handed down Nikon D7000. I got myself 3 lenses a kit 18-55, a 35/1.8 prime and a 70-300 zoom.
I got the Nikon since my brother, the photographer in the family, upgraded back in 19. Now he's using a Z9!!!

Gotta couple of trips planned this month to the coffee estates and Himalayas after that. I want to scale up my photographing skills then.
Will share some pics from earlier when I am at my laptop.

Cheers

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Great Vin. Check out the Sony RX100

I am a very basic photographer, who's still learning with a handed down Nikon D7000. I got myself 3 lenses a kit 18-55, a 35/1.8 prime and a 70-300 zoom.
I got the Nikon since my brother, the photographer in the family, upgraded back in 19. Now he's using a Z9!!!

Gotta couple of trips planned this month to the coffee estates and Himalayas after that. I want to scale up my photographing skills then.
Will share some pics from earlier when I am at my laptop.

Cheers
if you don't have one already, get yourself a tri-pod... That'll help w/ a lot of scenic photos, getting them nice & sharp, especially if you want to get a lot of DOF. Along w/ framing, a good handholding technique, learning to brace yourself, &/or the camera, is a good thing too, for, when you can't use the tri-pod...

bhatta

Reaction score
if you don't have one already, get yourself a tri-pod... That'll help w/ a lot of scenic photos, getting them nice & sharp, especially if you want to get a lot of DOF. Along w/ framing, a good handholding technique, learning to brace yourself, &/or the camera, is a good thing too, for, when you can't use the tri-pod...

Hey DoD, thanks for the motivation.
yup, i got me a standard tripod already.
I want to capture some moon and if I can the Andromeda from the Himalayas.

Neways my hands shake like crazy, any shutterspeed below 100 and I am a disaster :)
Years of smoking all kinds of stuff doesn't help , LOL!

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Thanks JR. I love the G7X, but I'd like a compact with 4K, longer zoom, and an EFV, that can serve as a pseudo "satellite version" of my R50. I don't see myself touring an amusement park with a camera and 5 interchangeable lenses. The Sony checks those boxes.

The Sony arrives tomorrow. I can return the it for a full refund if I don't open the box. If I open the box, I have 14 days to return it, and there's a $200 restocking fee (@15% - the Sony is a whopping $1,300). I did a breakdown of the negatives to each camera:

RX100 VII:
can't use af & zoom at same time (not sure if matters).
touch screen is limited (af points only, not for navigating menus - bummer, but I don't see many complaints).
not good in low light - (bummer, but the G7X isn't great either, and I'll only be using it in daylight).
Pop-up VF can move if your eye presses on it (may not be a real issue)
no ND filter (don't know if I need it or care).

G7X Mark II:
no 4k video
not enough zoom
no VF
The G7 isn't 4k?? How old is it?
Man that IS kinda lame...
Sony looks good too, I have a Sony mirrorless plus a compact extreme zoom one. Both fantastic

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
The G7 isn't 4k?? How old is it?
Man that IS kinda lame...
Sony looks good too, I have a Sony mirrorless plus a compact extreme zoom one. Both fantastic
Nope. It was released in 2016. I think I bought mine in the summer of 2021. The next year they came out with the G7X Mark III with 4K, but it flopped because they screwed up the AF and it wasn't as good as the MkII. They tried to fix it with a firmware update, but by then (over a year later) it had gotten a bad rap and the update was merely an improvement rather than a complete fix. I haven't seen them available anywhere lately.

The Mark II is still an excellent camera for photos, but videos are merely "ok", and my 4K (R50) blows it away for both photos and video.

So, I guess later today I'll be checking out a new Sony RX100 VII.

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
My first hummer. Man, they are tiny ! I almost could not see him w/o the camera zoom. Once zoomed in, I used the LCD's touch-shutter function: just touch the birdie, and the camera instantly focuses, tracks the subject, and snaps the photo all in milliseconds.

It would have been better if I wasn't shooting through a dirty kitchen window, but hey - it was 7am and I was in my jammies, hand-holding a 400mm lens zoomed all the way in. :D

1715716930299.png

Last edited:

Latest posts