The photography thread.

• Thread starter Blokkadeleider
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bhatta

Reaction score
Thanks JR. I love the G7X, but I'd like a compact with 4K, longer zoom, and an EFV, that can serve as a pseudo "satellite version" of my R50. I don't see myself touring an amusement park with a camera and 5 interchangeable lenses. The Sony checks those boxes.

The Sony arrives tomorrow. I can return the it for a full refund if I don't open the box. If I open the box, I have 14 days to return it, and there's a $200 restocking fee (@15% - the Sony is a whopping $1,300). I did a breakdown of the negatives to each camera:

RX100 VII:
can't use AF & zoom at same time (not sure if matters).
touch screen is limited (AF touch points only, but not for navigating menus - bummer, but I don't see many complaints).
not good in low light - (bummer, but the G7X isn't great either, and I'll only be using it in daylight).
Pop-up EVF can move if your eye presses on it (may not be a real issue)
no ND filter (don't know if I need it or care).

G7X Mark II:
no 4k video
not enough zoom
no VF

His name is Todd.
View attachment 151507

My retro toy shelf. I tried posting this last year, but I think some ppl couldn't view it for some reason. The Cat In The Hat book is dated 1957.
View attachment 151509

Victorinox SAK "Explorer" model.
View attachment 151510
Are these with your new sony rx100?
How's it?

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Are these with your new sony rx100?
How's it?
No, the Sony didn't cut it so I'm returning it (see below). The first two pics were taken with the G7X Mk2, and I think the pocket knife was taken with the EOS R50 and a kit lens.

My experience with the Sony RX100 VII was quite different than all the raving online reviews; rather unpleasant. Here are my notes on the Sony after shooting outdoors for a couple hours on a sunny day:

• It takes excellent photos, almost as good as my R50, which is a compliment to its lens.
• Movies are very good, but if the R50 is a 10, the Sony is an 8.
• Buttons are too small
• Shutter button is flush with the surface: difficult to feel for when ready to snap shots, I have to stop framing and look for the button constantly. :noway:
• Can't use AF & zoom at same time.
• Zoom is noisy in videos: useless for nature clips. :noway:
• Not good in low light.
• LCD is smaller than G7X, and hard to see subjects unless zoomed. :noway:
• LCD is difficult to see in bright sunlight, even in "Sunny Day" mode. :noway:
• EVF is tiny, impractical, and squinting gets tiring quickly.
• In Movie mode, 4K / 30FPS, the LCD auto-switches brightness to dark setting and cannot be changed (useless outdoors). :noway:
• AF tracking is fiddly, Canon AF tracking on G7X Mk2 is superior.
• Slippery design, small and heavy - always feels like I'm going to drop it.
• Clunky and annoying menu system: have to keep toggling menu settings when shooting. :noway:
• Volume is practically inaudible even on max (15).

Overall I feel like it's more hassle than enjoyment. Because it takes good photos & videos, I might have kept it if it was around $700, but by the time I bought the camera, a 2 yr. warranty and sales tax, the whole shebang came to $1,530. NFW is this camera worth anywhere near that.

I've come to the conclusion that the compact / pocket camera industry must have hit a wall around 2016. They aren't upgrading most models, the ones still on the market are hard to find, and the prices are absolutely Vinsane. In 2020 (2021?) I paid $630 for my G7X MkII. Right now, they're available again on Amazon... for $1,300!! :eek:

------------

So, ya know what I did? I decided to lower my standards. I just wanted a 4K pocket cam with a good zoom to keep in my car so that I'm not dragging my R50 and 8 lenses back and forth from my house to my car all the time, just for impulsive pictures of road ragers and People of Walmart. :rofl:After a ton of research, I decided on the Canon SX740 HS for $470 new on Ebay. While it's not the best cam in the world, it's a lot of fun to use and that's what's important. It takes good pictures and 4K movies, and the zoom is like a "sniper zoom". It lacks a touch screen, but with this you really don't need it. Lemme know if you'd like a quick review on this camera.

Here's a few test shots with the Canon SX740 HS. Not stunning, but very good for a pocket cam that zooms from New York to Florida:

From about 40ft.
1715841975797.png

50ft.
1715838438493.png

10ft.
1715843109414.png

8ft.
1715838635679.png

60ft.
1715838898542.png

5ft.
1715839031757.png

70ft.
1715841361134.png

5ft.
1715839676767.png

3ft.
1715840607261.png

No idea. Guessing 30-40ft.
1715841703836.png

iu

Last edited:

bhatta

Reaction score
Hey Vin, thanks for the detailed review.
About $1600, ouch that hurts.
Nice going with the new Canon.
Impressive photos.

Love the Bokeh on the 5ft!

I am having a helluva time settling for a rucksack for my trips. Expecting one this evening. 🤷

Cheers and enjoy!

bhatta

Reaction score
Alrighty, after a couple of exchanges thru Amazon now I have got this 65L one which can hold more than I can carry.
I am able to put in 3 days stuff plus my camera bag, tripod the whole shebang!

Will post pictures and stuff, maybe I should opena thread. Let's see...

Cheers

BlueX

Reaction score
Nice. What camera?
Thanks!
iPhone SE, because it's easy to bring when cycling or doing other sports. I've got a Lumix DMC-FZ72, but it's bulky and the battery is always empty. Only for planned photos.

I just looked at Canon SX740 HS that you mentioned here. Seems like a good travel companion.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
iPhone SE, because it's easy to bring when cycling or doing other sports. I've got a Lumix DMC-FZ72, but it's bulky and the battery is always empty. Only for planned photos.

I just looked at Canon SX740 HS that you mentioned here. Seems like a good travel companion.
I guess that's why I wanted a versatile pocket cam, or a "glovebox" cam. Brining my R50 and a bunch of lenses out is awesome, but it has to be planned, whereas a digicam allows more freedom to be impulsive. My G7X II takes better photos, but the video is only FHD, and is worse than a cell phone in that regard.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
No, the Sony didn't cut it so I'm returning it (see below). The first two pics were taken with the G7X Mk2, and I think the pocket knife was taken with the EOS R50 and a kit lens.

My experience with the Sony RX100 VII was quite different than all the raving online reviews; rather unpleasant. Here are my notes on the Sony after shooting outdoors for a couple hours on a sunny day:

• It takes excellent photos, almost as good as my R50, which is a compliment to its lens.
• Movies are very good, but if the R50 is a 10, the Sony is an 8.
• Buttons are too small
• Shutter button is flush with the surface: difficult to feel for when ready to snap shots, I have to stop framing and look for the button constantly. :noway:
• Can't use AF & zoom at same time.
• Zoom is noisy in videos: useless for nature clips. :noway:
• Not good in low light.
• LCD is smaller than G7X, and hard to see subjects unless zoomed. :noway:
• LCD is difficult to see in bright sunlight, even in "Sunny Day" mode. :noway:
• EVF is tiny, impractical, and squinting gets tiring quickly.
• In Movie mode, 4K / 30FPS, the LCD auto-switches brightness to dark setting and cannot be changed (useless outdoors). :noway:
• AF tracking is fiddly, Canon AF tracking on G7X Mk2 is superior.
• Slippery design, small and heavy - always feels like I'm going to drop it.
• Clunky and annoying menu system: have to keep toggling menu settings when shooting. :noway:
• Volume is practically inaudible even on max (15).

Overall I feel like it's more hassle than enjoyment. Because it takes good photos & videos, I might have kept it if it was around $700, but by the time I bought the camera, a 2 yr. warranty and sales tax, the whole shebang came to $1,530. NFW is this camera worth anywhere near that.

I've come to the conclusion that the compact / pocket camera industry must have hit a wall around 2016. They aren't upgrading most models, the ones still on the market are hard to find, and the prices are absolutely Vinsane. In 2020 (2021?) I paid $630 for my G7X MkII. Right now, they're available again on Amazon... for $1,300!! :eek:

------------

So, ya know what I did? I decided to lower my standards. I just wanted a 4K pocket cam with a good zoom to keep in my car so that I'm not dragging my R50 and 8 lenses back and forth from my house to my car all the time, just for impulsive pictures of road ragers and People of Walmart. :rofl:After a ton of research, I decided on the Canon SX740 HS for $470 new on Ebay. While it's not the best cam in the world, it's a lot of fun to use and that's what's important. It takes good pictures and 4K movies, and the zoom is like a "sniper zoom". It lacks a touch screen, but with this you really don't need it. Lemme know if you'd like a quick review on this camera.

Here's a few test shots with the Canon SX740 HS. Not stunning, but very good for a pocket cam that zooms from New York to Florida:

From about 40ft.
View attachment 151783

50ft.
View attachment 151764

10ft.
View attachment 151784

8ft.
View attachment 151766

60ft.
View attachment 151768

5ft.
View attachment 151769

70ft.
View attachment 151781

5ft.
View attachment 151776

3ft.
View attachment 151779

No idea. Guessing 30-40ft.
View attachment 151782

iu

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I might have posted this, sometime back.

I was out taking photos of Christmas lights, & I had thought to take an image of bokeh (out of focus highlights). The interesting thing is, the colors seemed to detract from the image, moreso than add to it, so, I turned it into a black & white image.

bw.png

kind of an unorthodox subject for photography. When people think of bokeh, they think of the background of the image, not making it the main subject. This took getting the out of focus blur just right, as, too out of focus, there would be nothing, but a blurry mess of colors, & not enough, it would just be a sharp image of the lights themselves.

then, typically, when you take images of Christmas lights, everybody wants to see the colors, but not here... :)...

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I might have posted this, sometime back.

I was out taking photos of Christmas lights, & I had thought to take an image of bokeh (out of focus highlights). The interesting thing is, the colors seemed to detract from the image, moreso than add to it, so, I turned it into a black & white image.

bw-png.152025
View attachment 152025

kind of an unorthodox subject for photography. When people think of bokeh, they think of the background of the image, not making it the main subject. This took getting the out of focus blur just right, as, too out of focus, there would be nothing, but a blurry mess of colors, & not enough, it would just be a sharp image of the lights themselves.

then, typically, when you take images of Christmas lights, everybody wants to see the colors, but not here... :)...

That's really cool, and clever to break it down to black & white. Do you remember what camera and lens you used? How did you set up the shot - I mean, was it like a Christmas tree, street decor, etc.?

bhatta

Reaction score
Agree with you @Vinsanitizer
Stopping by the roadside taking replacing to a 35mm and then shooting, who's got that much time in a hike.
My Motorola phone does a good enuf job for quick takes

Here's a couple from Coorg

View attachment 152048

View attachment 152049
The compression needed to post here is making the pictures grainy.
1mb file for a photography thread is unreal!

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
That's really cool, and clever to break it down to black & white. Do you remember what camera and lens you used? How did you set up the shot - I mean, was it like a Christmas tree, street decor, etc.?
It was in the field. Some little side street, out in the boonies, had a display of all the houses. They even made their lights, etc. connect ,over the street... I believe it was some bushes, or ivy, that they put a bunch of lights on...

It was probably my EOS 1D Mk III, w/ either the 24-70 f/2.8, or the 70-200 f/2,8, all stuff, I bought around 2007 or earlier...

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
We passed a family of young armadillo's this weekend on our bike ride, stopped to play with them for a minute - curious little things, they came right over like puppies.

(phone pics)

Armadillo-Family.jpg

Armadillo-Baby.jpg

Armadillo.jpg
Nice pics, Derek. I've never seen actual photos of armadillos before. They seem fugly and cute at the same time. :)