The Recording Thread

• Thread starter blues_n_cues
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Herndon Project

In Memorandum
Reaction score
During the recording of Back in Black, Engineer Tony Platt recalled, "With AC/DC, it had always been about the riff - and on Back in Black, there would be plenty of them: “Hells Bells,” “Shoot to Thrill,” “You Shook Me” (eventually the band’s first Top 40 hit) and the unrelenting title track featured the dynamic interplay between Angus’ right-channel SG lead and brother Malcolm’s left-channel Gretsch rhythm. From his control-room vantage point, Platt realized the sound he was after was already coming through the monitors; processing and other add-ons would be purposely left off the rhythm tracks. “We all had a good idea of how we wanted it to sound right from the start,” says Platt, “and so our goal was to get it on tape there, rather than leaving it for the final mix. Being restricted to 24 tracks meant that a lot of the decisions would be made early on, which also added to the feeling of immediacy. But most off all, they just played it like it is! There was hardly any patching required - we’d just cut takes until we had a nice balance of perfection and feel.”

As so often happens, on Back in Black the make-up of the studio itself helped determine the recording dynamics. “The set up and approach was quite different from Highway,” notes Platt, who’d come aboard during the mix phase of the previous album. “Highway had been recorded in a very dead studio, so much so that during mixing I’d fed various parts back through the speakers and into the studio, recording the result for extra ambience. So when it came time to do Back in Black, the idea was to get that ambience on tape right from the start. The room at Compass Point was fairly large but had a low-ish ceiling, which concerned me a little as I didn’t want the room to compress the sound. We spent some time choosing the right position for the drums by hitting a snare in various parts of the room. I discovered a ‘sweet spot’ where the snare suddenly sounded bigger, deeper, fuller and most important, snappier. I subsequently discovered that there was a void above this position that was obviously allowing the sound to rise without choking it!”

For Angus’ solo tracks (which were overdubbed), Platt employed two stacks, one in the main room and another in a live chamber at the far end of the building. “We used Angus’s radios to transmit to these amps,” says Platt. “The radios actually proved to be quite an important part of the sound, as they added some mid bite. I used two Neumann U67s on each cabinet, so I could pan the result where I wanted. And absolutely no compression was used at all.”

Pay attention here:

"Mixing for the album took place at Electric Lady Studios in New York shortly after the sessions were completed. “The size of the sound is really a combination of things,” says Platt. “The tuning is good, the arrangements are spacious, the recording isn’t heavily processed, aside from some subtle addition of delays and light reverb just for extra ambience. I remember we also monitored quietly so we could balance carefully.”

Been an AC/DC tone guy for a long time....

AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

Reaction score
thanks, I think I read some of that previously. sounds like they did use some light delay/verb. I guess if anyone has suggestions on how to FAKE the effect of what they accomplished naturally eith my totally dry recording (reverb/delay types, settings) I'd be appreciative.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Most times, we add all the effects during production. I would suggest adding delay in one speaker and reverb in the other....

I use mine mostly from my rig (very lightly) so,even in the modern DAW world,it's "printed" to the track & I may add more in Post-Production if I feel it needs it.
I've always done it that way & it drove engineers nutz.lol

AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

Reaction score
who's "we"? I'd always read that especially with things like reverb and such you were better off adding them in the mix as you could be more precise and undo it if it didn't fit etc. etc. overdrive/distortions, wah, maybe the modulation effects were okay to burn in during recording. At least that's what I feel like I've always heard/read.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
who's "we"? I'd always read that especially with things like reverb and such you were better off adding them in the mix as you could be more precise and undo it if it didn't fit etc. etc. overdrive/distortions, wah, maybe the modulation effects were okay to burn in during recording. At least that's what I feel like I've always heard/read.
this could be true but... if you were working w/ old tape fx.. we...( faded echo) sometimes "printed" tape was better...

Robert Herndon Project

In Memorandum
Reaction score

Right....

Robert Herndon Project

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Mom's studio was where she rehearsed, recorded radio and commercial jingles, and was a studio for hire. It used to be a 3" reel to real and later, a smaller TEAC A1250S 4 track-2 channel 7" reel.

Now, my oldest son had a dedicated PC set up with Adobe Audition.

These days Mom is doing cowboy poetry....

Robert Herndon Project

In Memorandum
Reaction score
EP=1,3 or 4 ?????? world of difference.............yu talk a lot but no proof or pics..........

LOL! Kind of like the Gibson Les Paul everyone said Mom probably didn't have....until I had her send me some pics....or the Gibson SG I probably didn't buy this week... :)

I haven't been back to record in Mom's studio in a few years - I moved to Los Angeles in 2011. But, anyways, It looks kind of like an old record player. The top lifts up. That's all I can really tell you about it.

A couple of years ago, my Mom had a health scare when her potassium levels dropped and she became very ill. After she started getting better, my oldest son re-vamped the studio and shelved the old Teac tape and some of the other old equipment (some of it surplus stuff from Buck's Chester Avenue Studios) and installed a dedicated PC with Adobe Audition and a breakout box that allows multiple microphones to run into the PC.

My son has also converted some of Mom's 1978-1979 Buck Owens' Sessions from tape onto disc so they could be posted on her website, which includes some of her songs recorded in her studio on the ranch. You can hear some of these recordings here:

https://www.reverbnation.com/nitajohaze

Robert Herndon Project

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Blue-N-Clues:

Compare this orginal version of Mom's song "Crazy Lizzy" recorded in 1979 (Mom was 39 then) with Buckaroo's Terry Kristofferson on lead guitar, Doyle Kurtsinger on bass, and Bobby Gallardo on drums:

https://www.reverbnation.com/nitajohaze/song/8143691-crazy-lizzie

....with the version we re-vamped into a blues number in 2011 in her ranch studio.

This hasn't been final EQ'd yet, so expect some track to track volume anomolies, but Mom did an incredible job on it vocally at 74...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dut9f6r1roip9lv/Crazy Lizzy MP3.mp3?dl=0

Ghostman

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever read the word "Mom" in the last two pages, more than I have my whole life. Is this person YOUR mom? or someone who's famously known as "Mom" because it's kinda weird. :ugh:

Sound Of A Gun

Reaction score
thanks, I think I read some of that previously. sounds like they did use some light delay/verb. I guess if anyone has suggestions on how to FAKE the effect of what they accomplished naturally eith my totally dry recording (reverb/delay types, settings) I'd be appreciative.

I normally set up a "Room Bus" in my DAW with a reverb set 100% wet; then insert sends from all the other buses (guitars, vocals, bass etc.), then use the send levels to control the "depth" of the room. Use a high pass filter on an EQ to take some of the boom out of the bus output and then mix it in low in the overall mix. You can A/B the mix once the room bus is set up using the mute button on the bus. This normally gets pretty good results.

Robert Herndon Project

In Memorandum
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever read the word "Mom" in the last two pages, more than I have my whole life. Is this person YOUR mom? or someone who's famously known as "Mom" because it's kinda weird. :ugh:

Yep, that's my real Mom and after nearly losing her in 2008, I am so happy her and Pop are still with us. She was the one who got me started in music, gave me my first guitar and allowed me to use the studio.

In 2011, I restored and gifted her with that first guitar and pulled her into the session (unexpectedly) and she so enjoyed that experience.

I'm a really happy guy and just love sharing these things.

A few weeks ago, a very frail friend of my parent's came to visit them while mom was recording some cowboy poetry. We learned that he passed away the very next evening, so I'm cherishing every little thing.

Thanks for tolerating me...

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
this one always kicks my a**........
the vocals are basically scratch but the fact that it's KRK 8's @ 35% volume w/ a 10% treble reduxtion and great treatment is vibrating my 15x25 room..........

Latest posts