The tuning thread.

• Thread starter dreyn77
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alt Freak

Reaction score
Ive heard for awhile now that the pitch black is better than the Boss. Any truth to that?

Redstone

Reaction score
I've got a clip on Boston tuner. It gets the job done.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I see the Boss tuner 8/10 times on stage. I'd say more or less it's industry standard.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I like the polytune as well, nice with Rose bridges as you sharpen 1 string you can see when the other strings fall out and how far. Saves alotta time! Then I fine tune by ear with harmonics, can't go wrong there, my ear is very sensitive to slightly out of tune guitars!

Nudge68

Reaction score
Korg Pitchblack. Worked much better than the Boss TU-2 I had forever.

JayCM800

Reaction score
This is how I roll:
st2-proto4a.jpg

Real strobe, mahneega!

Bigmuff

Reaction score
I'm totally freaking tone deaf. I NEED that tuner. The TU-2 stays on my board forevah. But my guitars are pretty stable. I tune once right before the start of the gig, and I'm usually good to go. No big deal. :hbang:

dreyn77

Reaction score
Whatsa, he probly waz using the passive pickups. the TU2 is a bit sensitive to what signal it gets.
the TU3 has more LED's to compensate but once you know what to do the upgrade is not needed.

Marshall_Watts87

Reaction score
once upon a time there was a thing called ear training & perfect pitch.
people were able to recall a note(pitch) by memory.
people also didn't need auto-tune to sing in key.

anyone else see the correlation there?:hmm:

I thought the elvis era reveled in being a little out of key. that was what made people unique.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the elvis era reveled in being a little out of key. that was what made people unique.

Elvis era...:lol:
yeah, it really sucked living before auto-tune,pitch correction,& digital-midi everything else world. we had to have this thing called talent or find a different line of work-as in being a bass player.:applause:

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought a Polytune 2 today and upgraded it to the new firmware v2.5.00-R967.

Been using two Peterson Strobes for the last 3 years: the Strobo-Stomp and the Strobo-Flip. I used the pedal live, and the flipper at the home bench doing intonations, etc. With the pedal, I have had the known and published defect of the device wearing out batteries prematurely, and the official fix for it was clipping a capacitior. At $250 a pop for those tuners, I didn't appreciate that at all. In addition, the pedal took my whole board down once before the first song of a performance in front of a crowd of over 800, which was also being webcast live. I've tolerated the Strobo's for their tuning accuracy, but never liked the interface. Moreover, the iPhone app for those is just a plain-jane tuner which uses the Peterson visual interface, but is nothing like a true strobe tuner in any way.

Moving onto the Polytune 2, I just bought mine today after deciding for months. So far its tuning capability seems incredible. Like the Petersons, its accuracy is .01 cents (pronounced sonts), and is overall a far preferable, less costly unit than the Peterson. In fact, I hate to put the Strobo out of business here, but it's simply outdated now.

The Polytune has three basic modes (I don't know the official names for them): "polytune" - all strings at once, traditional needle metering, and "strobe" - similar to the Boss TU-3 except more accurate. The LED display is ambient-light sensitive and changes brightness according to the surrounding light: brighter outdoors, but doesn't blind you in the dark.

I don't yet know about the PT's ability/performance with alternate tunings. I do hope it allows you to tune a half step down and store that as your power-up setting, which I think the TU-3 does if I recall.

I also can't compare this to the popular black Korg tuner pedal. The PT allows you to get a quick/immediate reference on your overall tuning, and then from there you can either continue using that mode or touchlessly switch to individual string tuning. Like I said, the "strobe" mode is just as accurate as the the Peterson (0.10 cents - guitar tuning doesn't really get more accurate than that), and therefore, you can adjust guitar's intonation with it.

After years of using tuners, I'd choose the Polytune for bench, rehearsal and live use. Second choice for live would be the TU-3. Second choice for the bench would be the Strobo-Flip.

It's also convenient that the Polytune also comes in a downloadable app for phones and iPads. I have found phone tuner apps very useful for acoustic guitars that don't have electronics and electrics when you're not carrying your pedalboard. The iPhone app is very good.

52BIGSBY

Reaction score
Tuning fork in A held over the pickup is audible through the amp, works for me at home. I have just bought a TU3 for when my band explodes on the South of England!
Richard.

Reactions: JAC

JAC

Reaction score
Tuning fork in A held over the pickup is audible through the amp, works for me at home. I have just bought a TU3 for when my band explodes on the South of England!
Richard.

I have two good tuners. One quartz analog and, one cheap digital. I wind up using my tuning fork 99% of the time. I want to get a Peterson Strobe tuner in the future.

chuckelator

Reaction score
I have a TC Polytune, however, I don't use the poly tune function... Seems less accurate to me than doing it string by string, which, the Polytune does VERY well, better than my TU-2 used to.