• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The YJM-100

• Thread starter DSL100 Dude
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Mavronis

Reaction score
FYI, I was just on the Marshall Amp site and it said that it is indeed a limited edition amp.

Yeah the main page about it does say it's a limited edition project. The strange part is under the product categories and YJM100 details page it is described as a signature series.

Marshall Limited Edition Amps:
AFD100
JTM45/100

Marshall Signature Series Amps:
YJM100
MG15FXMSDM
1960DM
1987XPW
1992LEM
1959RR
2203KK
Super 100JH

So I'm not sure what to believe. Was that a typo? Maybe someone from Marshall can weigh in.

tonefreak

Reaction score
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what can i sell... what can i sell...

I WANT THAT FRIGGEN AMP NOW!

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
In the news section:

"Despite our best efforts to keep the lid on this exciting, limited edition project, word has gotten out about it so, rumours are flying and a lot of people are anxiously clamoring to learn more. So, even though production for the YJM100 doesn’t start until the end of March, we’ve decided to let you in on this super-sounding Signature secret and reveal what lurks beneath the hood of the YJM100 all-valve head as it’s a wonderful marriage of classic Marshall ascetics and tone with modern features."

Steve Mavronis

Reaction score
^^^ Yes that's the only text that says that. Everywhere else Marshall calls it Signature Series. So we are to take that it's a LE Signature Series then and why isn't it listed under the LE section along with the AFD100?

yjmfeatures1.jpg

yjmfeatures6.jpg

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
I too would like to get some REAL info on the production numbers for these things. For that matter the other amps in the Signature line as well. :hmm:

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
I too would like to get some REAL info on the production numbers for these things. For that matter the other amps in the Signature line as well. :hmm:

The rumor is 1500 pieces and the price tag is going to be higher than the AFD. Most likely because it has more features and cost more to make.

Steve Mavronis

Reaction score
Maybe they just build so many for the first initial product run and see how the demand plays out to decide if and when they should build more.

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
The rumor is 1500 pieces and the price tag is going to be higher than the AFD. Most likely because it has more features and cost more to make.

Well rumors are about as good as the can of chyt they came with. Before the annoucement there was a rumor that the Class 5 was getting a master volume... Yeah, we see how that turned out. :thumb:

Maybe they just build so many for the first initial product run and see how the demand plays out to decide if and when they should build more.

This makes sense from a business stand point but I am unsure on how it works from a manufacturing stand point. It would seem to me that since it is their main UK factory, they would want to do a one and done as for setting up the machines and what not. Again, just a guess. There very well may be one line dedicated to just the limited stuff while other lines crank out C5's, JVM's etc... :hmm:

Papus

Reaction score

Any manufacturer needs to control certain parameters in order maintain and accurately predict volume and profitability and to maximise return on investment.
That means one of two approaches:

1) Make a once-off limited run with known costs per unit and known profit margin per unit given a certain maximum production run, so the bean counters can say to the board "the AFD100 is going to cost $X to bring to market but the sale of 2300 units will return $Y profit, guaranteed"

2) Accurately calculate or predict the cost per unit and return per unit for an arbitrary production run, and when that run is exceeded it becomes virtually pure profit minus cost of materials and labour, i.e. all of the R&D is paid off along with the cost of the initial marketing drive, eg. the paperclip is by now pure profit minus materials and labour since the R&D and marketing were paid off decades ago. Then the bean counters can say to the board "the YJM 100 needs to sell 1500 units to cover development, after that we need to sell X units per year to maintain profit margins, when it falls below X it will be discontinued".

End of Marketing 101

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Well guys, I did some back and forth with Santiago, and he says that we should email Marshall on thier contact page regarding doing a petition about the run size of this amp.

We want more...we want more....

IG88

Reaction score
This is my guess. The 4th preamp tube is for that rear section "boost". That is when it will be "full Yngwie".

4 12AX7's and 4 EL34's = new Marshall gain ala DSL and JVM.

Unfortunately, that other 12ax7 is probably for the fx loop and reverb, just like the JVMs. The boost is solid state, exactly like the Yngwie pedal. The AFD has the tube boost we're looking for.

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
Unfortunately, that other 12ax7 is probably for the fx loop and reverb, just like the JVMs. The boost is solid state, exactly like the Yngwie pedal. The AFD has the tube boost we're looking for.

Yup, that has been discussed on one of the videos. I posted that as my guess before that was released. Go figure...

Papus

Reaction score
The AFD preamp tubes are cascaded, the YJM is parallel - that's the major difference in the two circuits and the greatest single factor in determining their tone and gain levels.
Like any cascaded amp, the AFD is going to suffer in the clean department, conversely it's got buckets of all-tube preamp gain on tap.
The YJM, like any non-cascaded amp, relies heavily on driving the power section into distortion - that's why the old-school Plexi tone is so different to modern preamp distortion.
It's easily possible to obtain serious levels of power amp distortion from a Plexi, especially as the YJM's power scaling allows you to blow the shit out of the power tubes without blowing your own head off with excessive volume.
The tried-and-true method is to put a boost pedal in front of a Plexi to drive the preamp nice and hard, and dime the amp to grind those power tubes.
The YJM has got the old-school method hard-wired into its DNA, and the AFD has got the 80's and beyond hardwired in, all that remains is to chose which method of distortion and which tone suits you best.

Steve Mavronis

Reaction score
I'm confused about the analog circuit boost issue vs tube boost. The built-in boost is true bypass and you don't have to use it. But is it any different than using an external preamp overdrive pedal on a plain 1959 plexi amp? I assume Yngwie's overdrive is connected to the amp at the same spot any external overdrive would be?

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
I really want to see the insides of this amp and compare it to a standard 1959. I'm curious what the bright cap will be if they are also going to have the optional boost. Seems like a gain monster.