• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Tips on how to cut thru on a solo

• Thread starter Force235
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Force235

Reaction score
So I recorded the whole show, Boss micro BR, recording came out good, believe it or not, the bass player was also too loud, I thought he was in one of our last practices, but we didn't talk about it. Since the other guitarist was setup next to the bass player, I think he was the catalyst, causing the other guitarist to turn up, causing me to turn up, all too loud...

JimiRules

Reaction score
Do you have somebody that runs your sound? If so he should be taking care of the issue if people in the band are just louder than they need to be.

Guitar-Sam

Reaction score
Do you have somebody that runs your sound? If so he should be taking care of the issue if people in the band are just louder than they need to be.

That was my point earlier.Every room is different which changes the stage mix.Every song has different dynamics and musicians that play those dynamics differently Imo a foh guy is required anytime a live band plays,not including coffea house duos etc... But full bands. You as a group play as low as your loudest instrument allows(drums) and you put a guy you all trust in the drivers seat stop worrying about how it sounds onstage and worry about how the band as a whole sounds to the people watching it. And I don't buy the side stage mixing either,yea it sounded good in an empty room playing one song but your play multiple songs in an ever changing acoustic space(people walking in and out) anyways my 2 cents

The_Rocker

Reaction score
I have had this problem in the last 3 bands I have been in.

If in a twin guitar outfit where you are both using 'high calibre' gear i.e. both les pauls and marshalls then I don't think theres a better way than simply increasing volume for leads.

The last band was a twin lead outfit and each of us used a boss EQ7 with a massive mid hump, combined with the pre amp volume of the amp backed off a bit so the level control of the EQ actually had an effect.

In another band I used to have an EQ in the loop with the level down a bit which was engaged all the time for riffing, then released for leads.

Later on in the last band I used a JCM900 2100 with dual master volumes footswitchable. The other guitarist got his VM modded to have 2 masters.

The next time I put a group together, since I am using a 1959 plexi, I won't have much choice in the way of boost.... So I will either boost the mids with an EQ or get the other guitarist to roll back on his guitar vol and play a bit softer during lead breaks.

Other option is have someone with the front of house engineer to knock your level up during leads.

spacerocker

Reaction score
I don't think it is realistic to expect the rest of the band to play quietly during your lead break so that you can be heard - nor do I think that it is necessarily desirable! If you put a lot of energy into your lead break, it is (or should be!) an exciting event, and you may find that other members of the band "rev it up" a bit in response!

Normally, during a verse, the singer will be (or should be!) a tad louder than the rest of the band, to be heard. When a guitar solo is due, the singer will drop out, and the guitarist will take the place (volume wise) of the singer! - hence a good volume boost for lead breaks is essential. it is easy and effective to achieve using a multi-channel amp (or one with two masters) - much less so with a single channel amp!

JimiRules

Reaction score
When I used multi channel amps I always put a GE7 in my loop and raised the volume fader a tad.

I use a single channel amp now, but I'm the only guitarist in the band so I don't really have any problems with my leads cutting through, but it seems that when I step on my boosts when going into a solo my volume rises some on my single channel amp where it didn't on my multi channel amp.

spacerocker

Reaction score
When I used multi channel amps I always put a GE7 in my loop and raised the volume fader a tad.

Yes, I used one of those too....but I never found it helped much, if I already had a good rock overdriven rhythm sound. About the best I managed was by boosting mid frequencies and cuttnig bass, and that helped the lead cut through a litte..but at the cost of sounding thin, and nasal...

I use a single channel amp now, but I'm the only guitarist in the band so I don't really have any problems with my leads cutting through, but it seems that when I step on my boosts when going into a solo my volume rises some on my single channel amp where it didn't on my multi channel amp.

How is that even possible? where did you set your channel volumes? I could set my "lead" channel to be 10 times louder than my rhythm on my JVM! (obviously I wouldn't - just saying that it is possible!)

JimiRules

Reaction score
Yes, I used one of those too....but I never found it helped much, if I already had a good rock overdriven rhythm sound. About the best I managed was by boosting mid frequencies and cuttnig bass, and that helped the lead cut through a litte..but at the cost of sounding thin, and nasal...

Mine always boosted my volume pretty well. I'd step on it in conjunction with my gain boost and my tone and everything was fine.

How is that even possible? where did you set your channel volumes? I could set my "lead" channel to be 10 times louder than my rhythm on my JVM! (obviously I wouldn't - just saying that it is possible!)

When I say multi channel amp I'm talking about an amp with a dedicated clean channel and dedicated dirty channel. Not an amp with multiple dirty channels. The amp I used before my YJM was a Carvin Legacy I. I use a Keeley BD-2, and a Boss SD-1 set as clean boosts and I step on those when going into a lead. On my Legacy it would just increase the gain, but the volume would remain the same. On my YJM when I step on them they not only raise the gain, but the volume jumps up a bit as well.

spacerocker

Reaction score
Mine always boosted my volume pretty well. I'd step on it in conjunction with my gain boost and my tone and everything was fine.

I guess it depends on how much head-room you have left in the pre-amp. If you have those valves clipping pretty hard (as I did) - adding more amplitude to the signal (with a boost) adds very little in terms of volume. If you are in borderline break-up territory, there is probably more scope for a slight volume increase

When I say multi channel amp I'm talking about an amp with a dedicated clean channel and dedicated dirty channel. Not an amp with multiple dirty channels. The amp I used before my YJM was a Carvin Legacy I. I use a Keeley BD-2, and a Boss SD-1 set as clean boosts and I step on those when going into a lead. On my Legacy it would just increase the gain, but the volume would remain the same. On my YJM when I step on them they not only raise the gain, but the volume jumps up a bit as well.

Thanks for clarifying that! - I think of multi-channel amps as having two or more "dirty" channels - but you are right, some have a clean channel and an Overdrive channel - and that's it!

JimiRules

Reaction score
I guess it depends on how much head-room you have left in the pre-amp. If you have those valves clipping pretty hard (as I did) - adding more amplitude to the signal (with a boost) adds very little in terms of volume. If you are in borderline break-up territory, there is probably more scope for a slight volume increase

That's probably it then. I didn't use a ton of gain on my Legacy, which is the amp that I used the GE-7 in the loop.

Thanks for clarifying that! - I think of multi-channel amps as having two or more "dirty" channels - but you are right, some have a clean channel and an Overdrive channel - and that's it!
Lol, yeah, I'm kind of the opposite. I always think clean/dirty with multi channel amps. I've never owned an amp with multiple dirty channels until I got my TSL.

spacerocker

Reaction score
That's probably it then. I didn't use a ton of gain on my Legacy, which is the amp that I used the GE-7 in the loop.

My mistake!- I didn't pick up on the fact you used it IN THE LOOP! - I must read other people's posts properly! LOL! - yes, that would work! - I'm so used to people saying a graphic in front of an amp works well as a boost, that I didn't read the words properly!

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
And as you pointed out, in the loop works great unless amp is close to pegged. Need the headroom. If it's up that high, don't know if you need a boost!!

JimiRules

Reaction score
My mistake!- I didn't pick up on the fact you used it IN THE LOOP! - I must read other people's posts properly! LOL! - yes, that would work! - I'm so used to people saying a graphic in front of an amp works well as a boost, that I didn't read the words properly!

Haha, yeah, I've been guilty of doing the same.

Salsg

Reaction score
I don't think it is realistic to expect the rest of the band to play quietly during your lead break so that you can be heard - nor do I think that it is necessarily desirable! If you put a lot of energy into your lead break, it is (or should be!) an exciting event, and you may find that other members of the band "rev it up" a bit in response!

Normally, during a verse, the singer will be (or should be!) a tad louder than the rest of the band, to be heard. When a guitar solo is due, the singer will drop out, and the guitarist will take the place (volume wise) of the singer! - hence a good volume boost for lead breaks is essential.

I agree with this. Band dynamics is important too, of course. Some songs the band hanging back is enough for the solo to cut through better, but if the song calls for high energy raunch, I wouldn't want the band to "hang back" for the solo. A solo boost is needed for this application. You may not always need it, but you will need it.

StratoMarshall

Reaction score
How to cut thru on a solo:
Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Guitar-Player-Doof-Warrior.jpg
Amazing! A perfectly symmetrical setup......

Rider1260

Reaction score
IMHO
Most guitar players EQ far to dark ( or have to much bass ) because when they practice alone this sounds huge and full.;)
If you want better projection CLEAR notes will punch thru better add a bit of mids and highs to your sound let the Drums and Bass ( keys ) fill out the bottom.
What sounds a bit biting alone will fill out nicely in a band setting this is even more important as you add higher amounts of gain, more often than not adding Volume increases bass response which leads to a loss in clarity and then your lost in the mud.
Long cable runs and poor quality effects also rob you of high end which will punch you further back in the mix
I could suggest several of my pedals ( or others ) that would 100% help get you where you need to go but very likely rolling out just a touch of bass and adding some treble would go a LONG way.

Latest posts