Trade Plexi for Kemper?

• Thread starter Trapland
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Frodebro

Reaction score
Heard Fractals on stage with a (will not name) National classic rock touring act. Was very disappointed. Some of my favorite guitar tones of the 70's sounded like trying to get sound through a sleeping bag.

If a tube rig sounds bad, people blame the player. If a digital rig sounds bad, people blame the gear. Curious...

Zensee

Reaction score
That sucks but I’ve seen, heard and experienced great tone out of Fractal gear myself enough times to know it’s not the gear. I posted me here on this thread playing through a Fractal, how did you like that tone?

Cause people are paying to see him play loud guitar, and he is playing venues that allow him to do that. Many working guitar players aren’t in that situation. Plus, he endorses just about everything in his chain at this point so he has stuff to sell lol

Metallica, Don Felder, Steve Vai, Dweezil Zappa, Bela Fleck, Guthrie Govan, Neil Schon...remember lots of guys have lots of stuff to pimp so they might have amps on stage...

I don’t understand this attitude at all. Why own it if you aren’t going to use it?

Oh I do use them for recording and when I'm playing at home. I have some vintage amps that are in good condition and I'm trying to keep them that way. But rest assured they ARE used. I use the Kitana for quick jams when friends want to hang out and mess around.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
Maybe i'm just too old to get it ... but i've not heard anything in my years of playing that can hold a candle to a cranked up good sounding Marshall !!! Yes , for ease of touring the fractal and Kemper type units have their place , but all out TONE ... i dunno man ??? There's just something about cooking (in my case ) 11 tubes of pure tonal heaven from a 6100 !!!

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
When the new Kemper comes out values will dump. A plexi is only going in one direction. Sorry to reduce it to finance when we're talking about art.

interesting, I just saw an interview with Mr. Kemper that was a few weeks old and he stated quite clearly that there was no plan for a new Kemper. (Disregarding the same thing in a new shape released as the Sage model)

Trapland

Reaction score
Look at Framptons rig. There is a reason he still uses live amps and cabs, and cables. He doesn't want to compromise his tone. I don't blame him. It would be nice to get that tone in a MP3 format. and if that is what you are used to hearing, it's no wonder you like the tone of the simulators

I’ve seen Frampton a couple times recently including just this September. Honestly his tone these days isn’t what it was on the albums, but I nt blame him. Back in the album days mastering was done with less low frequencies. Today every sound engineer is near deaf and mixes like it’s a rap concert, so hearing anything but bass and kick is pretty much long gone.

There ain’t no subwoofer in real rock music.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
interesting, I just saw an interview with Mr. Kemper that was a few weeks old and he stated quite clearly that there was no plan for a new Kemper. (Disregarding the same thing in a new shape released as the Sage model)
I would think that would be a bit concerning for Kemper fans.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I would think that would be a bit concerning for Kemper fans.
not sure why...

Their promise was that the existing unit would always be forward compatible.

I imagine that always probably has some sort of timeline, when technology jumps by leaps & bounds, but, they think that they made it future proof, for a while anyway...

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
not sure why...

Their promise was that the existing unit would always be forward compatible.

I imagine that always probably has some sort of timeline, when technology jumps by leaps & bounds, but, they think that they made it future proof, for a while anyway...
A company that is doing well, will normally re-invest in new product development, that is, if they intend to stay competitive. Nothing processor based is " future proof ". "Always forward compatible" is doable, if you're not moving forward. Not diss'ing on their current product, just maybe their business plan. Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:

Trapland

Reaction score
I disagree that they need to create new product. What’s next, a Kemper that CAN’T sound like every amp ever made? They promised current owners they WOULDN’T make their Kemper obsolete. It’s one of the reasons I’m interested.

The only thing they really needed to look into was a less expensive version of the same thing but in a cheaper form factor. They just did it with the “Stage” model. I see no reason to like the new design as it’s less flexible, but some guys will give that up to save a couple bucks.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
They just did it with the “Stage” model. I see no reason to like the new design as it’s less flexible, but some guys will give that up to save a couple bucks.
Not sure it’s about cost...I can only speak for myself of course but for me, in 2019, a modeler/profiler needs to be self contained on the floor. It’s a lot of the reason why I switched from Fractal to Helix.

Trapland

Reaction score
Not sure it’s about cost...I can only speak for myself of course but for me, in 2019, a modeler/profiler needs to be self contained on the floor. It’s a lot of the reason why I switched from Fractal to Helix.

That’s why they made it. Many people feel exactly like you. That the 2 piece design was too cumbersome for many players. Making it a simple one piece design is a great idea.

But not for me. I prefer making adjustments without bending down but still footswitching as needed.....more like using an amp with pedals. I’ll take the rack version please.

Latest posts