Trying to find the right Marshall Amp for my son

• Thread starter Musicdad62
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Musicdad62

Reaction score
It is graduation and birthday time for my 18yr old son. He has been playing for 10 years and can really kill it. He loves the classic Marshall tone and we will be buying him an AMP in the next month. We have been out looking at Marshals for the past month but truely I feel overwhelmed by all the Marshall models and a bit out of my league. I am hoping some of the members on this board may be able to shed some light on a few solid choices . He has a pedal board that he will use with the Marshall. It consists of a TIM, TubeScreamer and Eventide delay. I am expecting to buy a used Amp. I have about 1000-1500 dollars budgeted for this. It can be a Combo or Head w/cab. The amp will be used for practice and small gigs. Most importantly he needs to be able to get good quality tones at moderate volume and not ridiculous volume. It also needs to be easy to operate and get a good tone. Any suggestion of specific models (year, model, config) would be so much appreaciated. I like doing my homework on making decisions and hope I can get him something he will be proud of for many years.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Well you need to know that a combo and an amp head/cab give a different projection of the sound. Two different animals. However, based on what you say, "moderate volume" and "small gigs," then a 50 watt amp will be more than good. Also, you state he has a pedal board, then that tells me he will be running into a clean channel.

You did not mention the type of music your son plays. What type of guitar does he use? Right now, based on what you have said, a DSL50 with a good 212 cab would probably make him happy. This would be well within your budget. Probably run you around $800 for the amp and cab.

Now if you give more info on what style your son plays, maybe the other members can make some comment.

usednabused

Reaction score
he's 18...get him a halfstack! (900 and a slant cab off Clist should fit that budget all day)

combo should only be heard at lunch time.

get him something he loves, and it will lift the playing and he will have it forever...

Username2

Reaction score
A budget of $1000 to $1500 is unnecessary to get classic Marshall tone on the used market. Since you say he will gig with it but mostly use it for practice I would say a combo would be best. Perhaps you can sneak that out of him, some would rather have the half stack to grow into and the cool factor.

However if it a combo I am going to suggest the new Marshall SL5

The new SL5 has very good tone first off. It has very good cleans and raising the gain will get you into vintage Marshall tones on that channel. Channel two should negate the use of his tube screamer as it has a lot of gain on tap.

The amp projects 5 watts which will be enough for small gigs. It also can be switched to 1 watt for great tone at bedroom friendly levels. If he is going off to college this amp would be a great choice. $699 new.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWlkzqDb4nI]Marshall SL-5 Demo Pt.1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoDh8CdVMK0]Marshall SL-5 GnR Demo Pt.2 - YouTube[/ame]

Landshark

Reaction score
Has your son made any mention as to what he wants? It may be a little bit of a give-away, but maybe ask him what he thinks of a few of the models. When I was 18 I wanted a half stack. I would think he'd probably feel the same way.

Richardjordan

Reaction score
Hi,

TRANSPORTATION!

Quite a big factor really, I started with a 2x12 and it was great for practice and small gigs. I moved onto a TSL60 + 4x12 cab, it was AMAZING at practice and ANY gig :D

The head and cab is hard work to keep lugging around if you practice away from home with the band.

Maybe consider the head and 2x12? I am currently using the JVM 210c 2x12 combo for practice and I add a 2x12 extension cab for the gigs, I must admit, my life is a lot easier for it and still get a great sound.

Another consideration is his pedal board. Does he want to use his OD pedals or the amps overdrive? Your buying a Marshall, why would you not use its own overdrive tones?! The problem can be with all the tap dancing and latency (dip in sound when changing channels) when using the effects loop and changing from say OD+delay to clean + chorus, this can be a very impressive tap dance.

The point here is that if he wants to use all the amps channels and effects pedals then he/you need to get advice on the types of amps that give good results when using the 4 cable method (the TSL caused me problems with the above mentioned channel change). If he just wants to use the clean channel then the world is your oyster.

I use a JVM + boss GT8 - these both use midi to talk to each other and the effects are very simple to use this way. It took me two years to finally find the set up that is "perfect for me". :applause:

I hope this is helpful, but i'm sure you will be asking more questions now!

richieG

Reaction score
Well is he wants classic sounds as you mentioned, I would imagine a JCM 800 2203 or 2204 with a 2x12 wold be ideal.

Don't be put off how loud these are. He could go into the low input with the amp set clean and use his pedals for grit. These things sound great with pedals.

And he can get into loud land in the high input. But keep in mind these have a master volume and they sound good at lower volume.

I would imagine you could get there for the money you mentioned in the USA.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
ask him what HE wants.
buying someone gear unannounced is usually bad juju.

transportation- hauling a 1/2 stack usually makes you realize just how dedicated you want to be & at 18 he's still got plenty of back left to haul it.:p

on the other hand I'd rather haul a 1/2 stack than something like a 5150 combo w/ no casters.

zenfly

Reaction score
Another option for the speaker is the 1965 a or b 4x10.. They sound great and you don't have to bust a nut to move it.. The Mosfet SS 3210 heads that go with them are good too..There is the 3203 Artist tube head that fits also... You have enough in your budget to buy the 1965 and the 3203 head , the 3210 mosfet head for a spare head and enough left to get another guitar...

The 4x10 fit in most back seats so he won't need a truck or a van..

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
it really depends on the style of music he plays..

Classic metal tone ??
Classic rock tone ??

Classic Marshall tone is quite broad.

spacerocker

Reaction score
Well is he wants classic sounds as you mentioned, I would imagine a JCM 800 2203 or 2204 with a 2x12 wold be ideal.

Don't be put off how loud these are. He could go into the low input with the amp set clean and use his pedals for grit. These things sound great with pedals.

What would be the point of that? Then he would only be hearing the pedals!....

The JVM would be a better idea! Much more flexible, and can be modded to sound very similar to a 2203.

Maybe the 50W version of the JVM410 (JVM205?) or JVM205C?

Fiftywattmafia

Reaction score
May I add to the recommendation list a JCM 2000 DSL 50 used and a 2x12 cabinet? Loud enough, or quiet enough, more portable than a half stack and maybe more portable than a 2x12 combo....some of those are super lunky and awkward to carry.

You are a cool Dad. If someone ever bought me a Marshall, I'd die from shock.

hbach

Reaction score
You are a cool dad! I know you want to surprise your son, but amps are like shoes, they have to fit. So it would be best if you go amp shopping with him.
You can either spoil the surprise but have the amp for his birthday. Or have the surprise and give him a certificate to go "Amp shopping with dad".

Good luck with it.

Musicdad62

Reaction score
Well you need to know that a combo and an amp head/cab give a different projection of the sound. Two different animals. However, based on what you say, "moderate volume" and "small gigs," then a 50 watt amp will be more than good. Also, you state he has a pedal board, then that tells me he will be running into a clean channel.

You did not mention the type of music your son plays. What type of guitar does he use? Right now, based on what you have said, a DSL50 with a good 212 cab would probably make him happy. This would be well within your budget. Probably run you around $800 for the amp and cab.

Now if you give more info on what style your son plays, maybe the other members can make some comment.

Thanks for the info Marty. He is really in to the classic Rock & Blues ( Hendrix, AC/DC, SRV, Van Halen, G&R and many more). You are right, he will be playing through the both the clean and dirty channels. I think the plan is to use the pedal board to add on to the tone of the Marshall. Does this info change your suggestion?

Musicdad62

Reaction score
The information all of you have given is terrific. A couple more points I should add is that he is totally involved in the decision. I just would not buy him something without his buy-in. I do think he wants a half stack but the reality on hauling it around is being considered. A combo is certainly an option. I think the main goal is to by something good, easy to use and will meet his needs for a long time. He wants to do this professionally so I want to help him the best I can. He has practiced 2-3 hours a day since he was 9 without me saying a word, so I think he is committed. :) The passion is there. Someone asked what guitar he has. He has a Fender American Strat with a humbucker and two single coils. He also has a Epiphone Les Paul and a Charvel. My philosophy on buying gear is to just try and get him gear that is high quality and is not a toy. Figuring out what is good gear can be quite the challenge. It sure seems like I have come to the right place.

Latest posts