• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Tube Screamer in the pedal loop?

• Thread starter Tonneback
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

colchar

Reaction score
Perhaps I have and I'm not interersted in that and was more interested in a response to my question

So you'd rather try something that isn't the right tool for the job rather than just buy the best tool for the job? Yeah, that's logical. Carry on Skippy.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
So you'd rather try something that isn't the right tool for the job rather than just buy the best tool for the job? Yeah, that's logical. Carry on Skippy.
Skippy lol. How you making out with your ultimate gear quest, I've been happy at the moment with my 5E3 with a ppimv installed, no attenuator needed. :yesway:

Tonneback

Reaction score
That is just your opinion. Not a law of nature. And calling me Skippy isn't nice.

Last edited:

_ripper_

Reaction score
A wild thought. What about putting a compressor in the loop to lower the volume? I do own a Boss CS-3
The same thing applies as I wrote to you above about the TS. If you want to lower the volume pre-power amp, just use your master volume. No need to dick around with pedals or anything else. If you want to have the power tubes cooking and part of the tone, then use an attenuator. Nothing you put in the loop is going to have the effect of lowering the volume post power amp.

Tonneback

Reaction score
The same thing applies as I wrote to you above about the TS. If you want to lower the volume pre-power amp, just use your master volume. No need to dick around with pedals or anything else. If you want to have the power tubes cooking and part of the tone, then use an attenuator. Nothing you put in the loop is going to have the effect of lowering the volume post power amp.
Ok I get it

Steve Smith

Reaction score
Read here about someone using a Tube Screamer mini in the pedal loop in stead of an attenuator. I've ordered a JHS little black amp box but it will be some time before I get it. Attenuator is to expensive at the moment and not in stock anywhere. So I was thinking about using a Tube Screamer in the loep until the JHS volume arrives. Is that a good or bad idea?

The Tube Screamer is the perfect pedal to use with a vintage Marshall. They just work together so well... clean raunch and power and sustain. Old Ibanez distortion pedal is pretty good too...

Steve Smith

Reaction score
A wild thought. What about putting a compressor in the loop to lower the volume? I do own a Boss CS-3
Just my humble opinion but I've never been a fan of compression in any sort of live situation. They have their professional uses in a recording environment.

I am sorry I am an old fart and believe that we should not mess around with the sound too much for live stuff.. keep it simple is my motto... but then again my hero is Alex Lifeson who used an insane amount of tech back in the day to create his massive sound live... so I suppose I am a complete hypocrite.

But then again, I did not have roadies to set up my wall of Hiwatt stacks and techs to help me if anything went wrong with the row of pedals and the tape based echo plex.
Only had a 76 JMP with a battered 4x12, a tube screamer, chorus and a dunlop.. but hey dont feel sorry 🥰🤣🤣

Cheers guys, just having a laf xxx