• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Typical action movie clichés

• Thread starter Marshall Arts
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marshall Arts

Reaction score
I'm an avid film enthusiast and I always like to enjoy a good movie.
However, there are certain elements I notice that are so typical. Especially action movies. I can mention some of them.

- A bartender is interviewed by the cops about a crime he witnessed. He is always standing there wiping the same glass with a cloth for minutes while they're talking. Business must be slow.

- A firearm has almost an unlimited ammo capacity. But is empty just as the protagonist is about to finish off the main villain.

- ... or they end up in a mexican stand-off. "Let's just sort this out like men and throw our guns down!". And they both fistfight instead on top of the skyscraper.

- The villain can shoot at the hero with a machine gun and not a single bullet hits our protagonist.

- The superhero can take a world of abuse without much pain. He endures being shot at, run over by a car, falling off a moving train, falling from great heights, getting beat up with baseball bats etc. But after he has killed all the villains and saved the woman (at night), she tends to his wounds while they're sitting on the back bumper of an ambulance. And he moans in pain while she's doing it. Oh, so NOW it hurts? And sometimes this scene happens in daylight. So they have been sitting there for hours?

- Multiple villains are ganging up on our hero to beat him up. Patiently waiting their turn to get their ass kicked.

- A burned out, suspended, divorced and alcoholic detective obtains a storage medium of crucial computer evidence to bring down a crime syndicate. The only problem is that it is "CIA encrypted" (or some other fancy term). No worries. His 12 year old geeky daughter had computer encryption as a school project and manages to decrypt it on her pink laptop at home in seconds. They're going down now! Her dad can't even set the clock on his car.

- Notice that he has to hand in his gun and badge to be able to solve the case on his own in his Chevrolet Caprice/Ford Crown Vic.

- When answering a phone call, hang up the phone immediately after hearing some important info. Don't ask if the caller has more information or say good bye like a normal person. "I found the guys who kidnapped your wife and where they keep her..." *click*.

These are the ones from the top of my head.

Do you have any clichés you tend to notice in films and TV series? Chime in :lol:.

Edit: Cleaned up sloppy writing.

Last edited:

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's one

The bad guys go around shooting everybody in the head but when they get to the hero they just knock him out and leave him on the floor.

Oh yeah, one more..... Every female who's ever been kidnapped in a movie or TV show must have the same name....."The Girl". As in "bring the ransom money or The Girl dies."

Last edited:

Marshall Arts

Reaction score
Before leaving the good guy for dead in a cell before the bomb blows, the bad guy has to reveal his whole masterplan and make sure to leave lots of handy tools behind

MarshallDog

Reaction score
- The girl being protected is always HOT!
- The female that is working with the hero is always HOT and he bangs her at some point!
- Oh and we cant forget this one, the hero is almost beat to death BUT he then springs to life and finishes off 1-3 others at the same time!

Seven

Reaction score
I'm an avid film enthusiast and I always like to enjoy a good movie.
However, there are certain elements I notice that is so typical. Especially action movies. I can mention some of them.

- A bartender is interviewed by the cops about a crime he witnessed. He is always standing there wiping the same glass with a cloth for minutes while they're talking. Business must be slow.
- A firearm has almost an unlimited ammo capacity. But is empty just as the protagonist is about to finish off the main villain.
- ... or they end up in a mexican stand-off. "Let's just sort this out like men and throw our guns down!". And they both fistfight instead on top of the skyscraper.
- The villain can shoot at the hero with a machine gun and not a single bullet hits our protagonist.
- The superhero can take a world of abuse without much pain. He endures being shot at, run over by a car, falling off a moving train, falling from great heights, getting beat up with baseball bats etc. But after he has killed all the villains and saved the woman (at night), she tends to his wounds while they're sitting on the back bumper of an ambulance. And he moans in pain while she's doing it. Oh, so NOW it hurts? And sometimes this scene happens in daylight. So they have been sitting there for hours?
- Multiple villains are ganging up on our hero to beat him up. Patiently waiting their turn to get their ass kicked.
- A burned out, suspended, divorced and alcoholic detective obtains a storage medium of crucial computer evidence to bring down a crime syndicate. The only problem is that it is "CIA encrypted" (or some other fancy term). No worries. His 12 year old geeky daughter had computer encryption as a school project and manages to decrypt it on her pink laptop at home in seconds. They're going down now! Her dad can't even set the clock on his car.
- Notice that he has to hand in his gun and badge to be able to solve the case on his own in his Chevrolet Caprice/Ford Crown Vic.
- When answering a phone call, hang up the phone immediately after hearing some important info. Don't ask if the caller has more information or say good bye like a normal person. "I found the guys who kidnapped your wife and where they keep her..." *click*.

These are the ones from the top of my head.

Do you have any clichés you tend to notice in films and TV series? Chime in :lol:

If action movies depicted reality, they would be very, very long and boring, followed by 5 minutes of violent chaos, where nothing goes as planned, ever.

I try to avoid controversial and political topics on this forum, but I can assure everyone that firearms are loud AF, especially in an enclosed space and they do run out of ammo, really, really fast. I mean like oh shit fast and they get hot AF and burn your hands, etc. It's not like the movies.

Oh yeah, and the Hollywood Silencer is mostly a myth with the type of hardware they are using. In the real world, everyone in the room would be deaf after the 3rd take.

I'm just a guitar player......really...:agreed:

I do promote hearing protection for any loud activity and should have started using it long before I actually did. Just sayin.....just saying....:rolleyes:

I love a good action movie, but I also have to suspend disbelief to enjoy it. Thanks for the post !

GregM

Reaction score
With a question for your cars, I thought at least 50 % of the population in America drove mustangs ( not that I blame them).
And everyone still seems to drive manuals with the obligatory 50 gear changes per straight, yet noone changes gears when turning a corner. Pretty tricky cars to drive those USA muscle cars

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
A Frank Zappa song called "Cheapness" has a preamble about 1950's B monster movies where s girl is running and of course hurts her ankle and ends up on the ground. A guy will shoot all his bullets at the monster and then will throw the gun at it. Who throws a gun?

And why is it in movies a guy will order a drink and then end up leaving without touching the drink? No drink slamming?

GregM

Reaction score
Or food in a restaurant. The characters can discuss some business without even taking a single bite of their hamburgers.
That explains, with the exception of pulp fiction, why noone ever poo's.
Imagine a season of 24 where Keifer has the runs!
And as half of them have drinking problems they're self control of bodily functions is really quite amazing

Im247frogs

Reaction score
Why is it that all Terminators KILL THE SHIT out of secondary characters, or anyone who happens to be in their way, but always decide to THROW their primary target across the room a bunch of times, almost as if to give them time to come up with a plan to destroy them? Have you ever noticed that?

Also I just watched Tenet. Not typical and pretty interesting to watch.

Marshall Arts

Reaction score
A car in great shape will suddenly have ignition problems when the driver needs it the most in an intense life or death escape. And will start just at the last moment!

A car chase scene will always knock over fruit carts and they will drive in the middle of two guys carrying a long piece of glass.

Yeah! Or run over the mandatory stroller full of hermetic tins. No infant in the stroller of course, confirmed by a rear view mirror shot.

Last edited: