Union Jack Phatt Baby - finished.

Geeze

Reaction score
Been thinking on this for a while and have gotten to the planning and measuring stage.

7UXK3q1.jpg

This is a 1x12 OS cab based loosely on the Zilla Fat Baby. The Union Jack I use loosely conforms to the 3:5 ratio - the top is 1.25" longer than the ratio's width. The side 'jacks' will be hung correctly [flag pole side on the top] and since the sides are not as long as the top the angled parts of the St Andrew's [white] and St Patrick's saltires won't match up. Obviously the St George parts will line up - I hope!

QzFlw3g.jpg

I'll use curly maple for the white and blue bits - I used red heart on the two previous jack amp cabs but none is coming into the country currently, so I switched to bloodwood which is supposed to be more UV resistant.

ZSGcXWb.jpg

The cut list as I attempt to maximize wood usage.

eQBZyLq.jpg

Some dye tests - more for the bloodwood which isn't uniformly red. Next two bits are just lacquered over non sanded wood.

yCvDiEW.jpg

d9YgdWg.jpg

Scarlett on the bloodwood, I suspect this is what I'll use as it adds some red to the lighter parts.

FWePcaX.jpg

Cherry. It adds a bit of purple.

dvN013S.jpg

Sapphire blue on the maple.

L5hh37o.jpg

When the wood is sanded down to 220 the grain will pop more.

Russ

Geeze

Reaction score
Between work, trips, another round of the flu and my son hanging with me for a week I'm finally back in the shop and have gotten over the 'first cut' paralysis.

The blood wood has a bit of cup to it that needs to be supported whilst cutting.

5qz6GFK.jpg

owJWbOt.jpg

Then the main stripe is milled to the finish width of 2.660". From this -

SCBiu8M.jpg

To this -

MnixUgY.jpg

Chevron strips cut.

wZ5NsDH.jpg

Then cut to raw length in prep for milling to finish width then glue up.

4Y9RsXo.jpg

Back on track as I plan to drag this to Dallas for the Festival.

Russ

Geeze

Reaction score
Love the scarlet, are you going to stain each piece before gluing or glue/sand and then mask each section before staining ?
I am just going to dye the blue bits. I run a bead of lacquer with a brush on the non dye sections to seal off bleed throughs. The whole thing will get sanded multiple times down to 220 grit before then.

Russ

Geeze

Reaction score
Thursday production ground to a halt with the arrival of 5lb of smoked Boston pork butt.

Q5umbu4.jpg

Shredded.

f0OZYwU.jpg

Too full to think about the next step after a ginormous plate full.

Somehow my CAD measurements didn't quite yield the correct data for the chevrons. Note to self - when your mind mutters those wonderful words 'This looks short...' LISTEN!!!! Close but a half inch of gap on the center red stripe won't cut it. Luckily I have extra wood.

Lengths figured out.

tFzjCPa.jpg

evOU76N.jpg

I've said it multiple times - 'I don't have enough clamps!' - even after I bought four more Saturday.

FYKtg6F.jpg

aRUOhNa.jpg

Once the top's chevrons dry for a few hours it's 31° cutting time.

Russ

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Figured out the blue bits that I dyed for a poser shot. Added another hardpoint / clamp setup for the 31° jig.

VDzYH8c.jpg

hHRNO4V.jpg

They're going to require a bit fitting.

Russ
Looks good Russ! You built a couple of these before, is this on commission for someone?

Geeze

Reaction score
Here is the 31° angle jig that both cuts of the chevron angles - still a head scratcher as to the orientation of the cuts - and the 'blue' wedges that fit between the crosses.

5tozgMP.jpg

Chevrons cut for the two sides - the bottom is going to be scrap bits to mimic the edges of the top - and ready to gluing.

uDkF7uB.jpg

0Bv6BSb.jpg

Off to commence gluing.

Russ

Geeze

Reaction score
Trim up an edge in preparation of squaring all four sides on a 'shooting' board.

1lwh0g8.jpg

Post cut. I ended up trimming this one a freckle more later.

ejMDQNU.jpg

Naturally it's time for Mr FUBAR to visit. One of the sides had three of the 'blue' wedges cut a bit too skinny and needed more wood glued on to support the 15" deep cab. Had to trim off a couple of these angled bits with a hand plane and sanding block.

scqIPcs.jpg

Front edge cut the center is about .020" proud of the sides and I'll plane that down once the finger joints are cut.

9HkT4G7.jpg

Got the top sanded mostly flat. I'll sand the bottoms so the cuts will be square.

Russ