unpopular opinions (musical or otherwise)

Eric'45

Reaction score
Yngwie Malmsteen is sad at your post, but Trey from Morbid Angel is glad to see this... LoL
Somehow I just can't stand the Strat shape... I mean, it's comfortable, but I don't like the looks. When it has to be a Fender, I prefer a Tele.
A Mockingbird with the original Electronics- passive PUs with coil Split- even comes close to the tonal versatility of a Strat.

Ah- that was even a second unpopular statement: Telecasters are better than Stratocasters.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
Somehow I just can't stand the Strat shape... I mean, it's comfortable, but I don't like the looks. When it has to be a Fender, I prefer a Tele.
A Mockingbird with the original Electronics- passive PUs with coil Split- even comes close to the tonal versatility of a Strat.

Ah- that was even a second unpopular statement: Telecasters are better than Stratocasters.

I don't necessarily have a problem with strats, but because I prefer heavier gauge strings, and because I'm not a tremolo guy, I'd definitely go for a tele over a strat, hands down.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Telecasters feel like a toy and a bit of a freak scene each time I look at those weird pickups and odd-shaped horn.

I do not like the body and find them uncomfortable, but most of all is the strings on them. They have a springy feel I do not enjoy like the strings want to run away when you hit them. I do not like the pickup sounds or shapes, and that 3 way, with the toggle popping off, it feels and looks cheap.

It might not seem like an equivalent at all, but instead, I opt for a Gretsch, and I much prefer that hollow bulk over the Telecaster any day, and I also prefer the sound of a Gretsch to a Telecaster as Gretsch is a tone unto itself and IMO more matching to the sounds of the classic 50s where you tend to find telecasters.

but......

I like it when others play telecasters! John 5, Keef, or James Burton. It can feature as one of the best guitars ever because of the names behind using it. The playing is incredible in many instances that I might as well call it impossible for someone like me to play or do.

Yet a telecaster in my hands is just like handing me the Mr. Potatoe Head of guitars.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
I don't necessarily have a problem with strats, but because I prefer heavier gauge strings, and because I'm not a tremolo guy, I'd definitely go for a tele over a strat, hands down.

How heavy do you want to go? They say in the 1950s default set was 12s on a Strat. Supposedly SRV used 13s.
You would probably need to add a spring then just deck the vibrato. But I prefer T-style too.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
How heavy do you want to go? They say in the 1950s default set was 12s on a Strat. Supposedly SRV used 13s.
You would probably need to add a spring then just deck the vibrato. But I prefer T-style too.
wow... yeah, that's plenty heavy. I definitely don't go heavier than maybe a .050 to .011 set.... but I just feel better putting heavier strings on a guitar that has a stable tailpiece, or bridge (no tremolo system). I also feel like you have to be a very specific type of player to be a strat guy. and I don't necessarily feel like I'm that type of guitarist.

Last edited:

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
wow... yeah, that's plenty heavy. I definitely don't go heavier than maybe a .050 to .011 set.... but I just feel better putting heavier strings on a guitar that has a stable tailpiece, or bridge (no tremolo system). I also feel like you have to be a very specific type of player to be a strat guy. and I don't necessarily feel like I'm that type of guitarist.

I hear you. My Strat does not see much use typically.
I did once use an 11 set on it with no problem. With the tremolo sitting flat on the body tuning was fine and the stability felt normal to me.
Some people say even with the bridge decked the sound is affected by the springs- meh, I'm not sure my ears are that good. lol

Shred Monster

Reaction score
I enjoy posting these on my social media accounts so that my friends and I can have in depth discussions about various topics that are either controversial or just doesn't go along with the general consensus...

an example... I know everyone loves Johnny Cash, as do I. his live at Folsom Prison and live at San Quentin albums are timeless and iconic... his late 60's era is truly a display of legendary baddass-ery... that being said, in my opinion, the cover songs that he recorded near the end of his life (Nine Inch Nail's Hurt, and Soundgarden's Rusty Cage, for example) I think are absolutely TERRIBLE. see? there you go, a massively unpopular opinion. one that is currently generating a lot of heat and backlash on my Facebook account... LoL

but nevertheless, lets keep it going... what are your unpopular opinions?
SRV shouldve been the one not getting in the chopper.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Metallica’s best album is Ride the Lightning, followed by Justice, then Master of Puppets.

Gar Samuelson was the best Megadeth drummer.

Phil Collins was just as good as Bill Bruford, he just played to the song more often and didn’t mess around as much.

The Flying V is the best electric guitar shape.

The acoustic guitar is a feeble instrument.

For most styles of music other than rock, rhythm guitar is harder than lead guitar.

I probably have some more, just can’t think of them right now.

kilroy

Reaction score
The blues suck and is an exhausted genre. It's the same boring chord progressions and the same licks over and over, and all those old-timey blues guys were great for when they were, but are amateurs by today's standards, so stop calling them great guitarists. They're not. They're just the first.

There, I said it. I shall now don my flame-retardant Batman pajamas and lock my bedroom door.

Norfolk Martin

Reaction score
No one needs more than four strings on a bass or six on a guitar.

Vintage guitars are heavily overpriced compared to their value as musical instruments.

When the great classic rock records were being made, no one gave gear one-tenth the importance that people now place on it , and they made better records.

Relic-ing is stupid. Its an instrument, not a bloody fashion show.