• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

V30 and G12T-75 Speaker Mix

• Thread starter paul-e-mann
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought this too when I got my first MV (a JMP 2203). Then I realized the spikey treble is from running at too low a volume with the pre amp gain cranked. This goes away dramatically as you play the amp louder. If you want to tame the treble at low volume / high gain, cut way back on the presence (mine's at 3) and treble 3-5. Or if you can attenuate at all, just crank the master vol up some and problem fixed (I usually turn the presence back up around 6 or 7 here and Treble to about 5-6.

You can also try a Telefunken in V1 which I loved to fatten up and make a trebly sound growl more.
Yep, they have the vintage power section....you crank the power section on these and they WARM up and if you do that to a Framus it's the opposite, it get's tighter and meaner. The Dragon's like a JCM800 (with added gain) in reverse. the thing's dark and chewy at low vol but tightest amp i've used cranked up.

Salsg

Reaction score
When using v30s and 75s, my favorite mix is 4 v30s and 0 75s.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
@keef1367

I just think that my amp is too trebly for that speaker. I tried G12T-75 with a vintage voiced hand-made amp by my friend and I liked it a lot. So the amp is also a very important part of the sound the speakers produce.

The reason I got shut of my 4211 was it would not cut it with the band. The DSL is the perfect amp for a lead guitarist with a band. Just set your tone to cut through everything then put the deep switch in and it gives you the thump. You instantly go from hearing everything to feeling it as well.

The other thing is if you have your treble and presence set at zero and the amp is still too toppy then your amp must be malfunctioning.

Leonc69

Reaction score
I am running this setup in one of my stacks. I have 75s on top 4x12 and v30 on bottom 4x12. Sounds great. I'm not a thrash metal player more of an Malmsteen, Schenker clone. This combo doesn't sound vintage but has great power and clarity with my 86 2203. I use it for leads that I want to cut through the mix. You can definitely feel each notes attack.

richedie

Reaction score
The V30/G12T-75 is a great speaker mix that will work with a lot of different amps. The V30/G12-65 is another good mix.

I have been looking at going 4 Greenbacks for a Splawn 412, but I keep thinking I might be better off with one of the above. Amps are Splawn, PWE and Bogner.

Hardrock73

Reaction score
well the deal is 75's can be spikey new. once they're broken in they're not toppy at all and are quite smooth. they do sound great together but because 75's are high power handling and use a TON of dope it can take years to break them in and get rid of the harsh top and stiffness that so many people "know" them for so if you want to try them i suggest getting some well worn speakers from the late 90's or early 2000's.

mine sound great but i've had new ones and spent 2 years trying to soften them to no avail so i sold them and bought some old ones lol.

Well you just hit the nail on the head for me.
I just got my 1936 today, speakers were very stiff sounding compared to my quad with scumbacks.
I was going to swap them out with a new pair of vintage 30s I have.
I think I might try the old 75s I have first.
That's tomorrow's job.