VH tribute w/Satch?

• Thread starter Lefty68
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they should do it. For us to never hear Alex play again would be sad because he's such a great drummer and performer, and to hear Joe do his take on Ed would be awesome. I also think Newstead's perspective - if it was accurately reported - is a bit weird, because no one's asking anyone to "top" anything, but only 'tribute', right? So for bass, personally, I'd rather see Alex make amends with Michael Anthony for the gig (how can that not be possible?). As far as Dave goes... he's retired now, but never say never. Dave's voice isn't great obviously, but I can't see anything "Van Halen" ever happening without him.

Interested in what you's all think.

Last edited:

Derek S

Reaction score
I think Satch & AVH should just start a new band, new songs, new singer...
Ditto. I love me some VH. Love me some Satch. Just can't hear the two together...but I can picture fresh material from them. I'm sure he could do it just fine but as others said, plenty of other players I think would be a better fit. Hell, I remember that VH tribute album from the 90's where a bunch of artist's covered their fav VH tunes and there was some great stuff on it - I really enjoyed (and was kinda blown away) by the Reb Beach/Joe Lynn Turner pairing on "Dance the Night Away".

junk notes

Reaction score
The Van Halen computer
Satrian/Anthony - okay
DLR/Vai - okay
Satriani/AVH - ?
= band ego chemistry to write new material?

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I'd love to know who y'all think is better for the job. I'm sure there is just as capable, but who is better - with name recognition?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I'd love to know who y'all think is better for the job. I'm sure there is just as capable, but who is better - with name recognition?
it really is a tough thing, just look at the guy that plays for Sammy... He doesn't get a lot of respect, nor name recognition. He seems a good enough player, but...

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
it really is a tough thing, just look at the guy that plays for Sammy... He doesn't get a lot of respect, nor name recognition. He seems a good enough player, but...
Vic is a good player - he's just horrible at covering EVH's parts.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
see, I couldn't even had told you his name... :shrug:

still, Satch, playing EVH fulltime? nah...

Vai used to play VH stuff in DLR band, he can play it, but, still not EVH...

None of these guys play the brown sound.
I don't think there really is one single person that could pull it off, that said I still think Satch is as good a choice as anyone.

He's Alex's choice and that's good enough for me.

I know whatever happens, it will be interesting.