• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Vintage 1960 A/b Dimensions

• Thread starter 0 2339
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

0 2339

Reaction score
hey all, first time poster here...

as the title says, i'm sourcing info on vintage (late 60s, early 70s) 1960a/b dimensions. for some strange reason there is not a lot of info to be found on the web - or i'm just too stupid to find it.

found a nice layout on the 18watt forum (cannot link it as this is my first post...)

...but found contradicting info on other pages/forums and the official marshall site of the actual reissues, so i'm quite sure dimensions varied throughout the years.

my plan is to start building my own cabinet later this year (need tools ; ) and would like to be as acurate as possible, so i'd apreciate any input from your side!

Also any other info besides measurements is greatly apreciated... what i have so far

- grade b or bb birch ply wood
- 15mm thickness (sides, top & bottom)

what i'm trying to answer...

- 7ply? 11ply?
- baffle thickness?
- backpanel thickness?

list goes on and on...

Anyway, thanks in advance!
Cheers!

Adieu

Reaction score
For DIY stuff, all around internal bracing seems to do wonders.

Imho stay away from vintage replication, the originals were just boxes made out of whatever.

Also maybe start with 2x12... more manageable, more versatile.

0 2339

Reaction score
thanks mate, but got everything from 1x8 to 2x12 covered... played a friend's halfstack couple days ago and it just reminded me how much they knock. something i don't feel with my 212

Imho stay away from vintage replication, the originals were just boxes made out of whatever.

...and leo put necks on planks... didn't stop the 60s & 70s from happening music wise ; )

cheers

Adieu

Reaction score
Does your stuff have high efficiency (~100dB) speakers?

Also Leo didn't "put necks on planks", he industrialized, went modular, and belatedly took the guitar industry into the 20th century

0 2339

Reaction score
nope, they don't and i don't plan to do so... all i want is an acurate box out of whatever with 4 g12m's ; )

cheers

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
BEBA3BC5-4285-4794-8741-C9718E9C19F8.jpeg In terms of slants, the early ones vary slightly, ie a ‘66 slant baffle won’t necessarily fit a ‘68 cab. From what I can gather when it comes to the cab dimensions(ie wxhxd)normal 1960A/Bs are the same from 1968 onwards, in other words if you got a modern Marshall ply cab, added a basketweave grill, stuck in some pulsonic celestions, added a proper baffle post, metal handles and a ply back you would have a pretty close approximation of a late sixties cab sound wise. I’ve done this a few times and it’d be cheaper to just buy a vintage cab.

Having said that it is a lot of fun and you get to see how a cab is put together, not to mention you can spread the cost out while your doing it!

If you want any exact dimensions just ask.

Here’s a snap of a custom made cab that I have mocked up as a ‘68, the person I got it off that made it got the routing radius wrong on all the edges, that aside it’s pretty close

0 2339

Reaction score
thanks a lot, that's what i'm after - exact dimensions would be great, also radius and every other tiny aspect is greatly apreciated : ) with "cheaper to just buy a vintage cab" you mean the marshall reissue cabs? anyway, i'll need most of the necessary tools for other works as well, and like you said, diy is a lot of fun!

thanks again & cheers

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
thanks a lot, that's what i'm after - exact dimensions would be great, also radius and every other tiny aspect is greatly apreciated : ) with "cheaper to just buy a vintage cab" you mean the marshall reissue cabs? anyway, i'll need most of the necessary tools for other works as well, and like you said, diy is a lot of fun!

thanks again & cheers

Their are a few diagrams floating around the net with the correct dimensions, the radius on the front lip is 3/4.

15mm(5/8”) ply for the sides bottom and back panel, most baffles are 15mm (although I have seen 12mm), the front strips on the baffle, corner cut out and logo mount are all 12mm

A lot of the cost is in the speakers, a decent quad of celestion greenbacks pre 1974 will set you back between £400 and £1000 depending on their condition, year and T number, where as a vintage basketweave cab can be had for between £500/£1200 depending on the condition, location and year etc etc

I’d say that the most important aspect of the sound is the pulsonic cone celestions, so a vintage spec cab with modern speakers, won’t sound as close as a modern Marshall ply cab with vintage speakers(if that makes sense)

I hope that helps

0 2339

Reaction score
thanks guys, that helps a lot.

@bygone tones: i already saw george's homepage, but didn't think about contacting him - good idea!
btw. already saved your site... yummie ; )

@pulsonicsound: thanks again brother, that helps a lot!! definitely agree with you on speakers, and yes, your example makes perfect sense... let's see what the budget allows
maybe you can think of me if you stumble upon one of those diagrams in the future : p

thanks again
cheers

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
hey all, first time poster here...

as the title says, i'm sourcing info on vintage (late 60s, early 70s) 1960a/b dimensions. for some strange reason there is not a lot of info to be found on the web - or i'm just too stupid to find it.

found a nice layout on the 18watt forum (cannot link it as this is my first post...)

...but found contradicting info on other pages/forums and the official marshall site of the actual reissues, so i'm quite sure dimensions varied throughout the years.

my plan is to start building my own cabinet later this year (need tools ; ) and would like to be as acurate as possible, so i'd apreciate any input from your side!

Also any other info besides measurements is greatly apreciated... what i have so far

- grade b or bb birch ply wood
- 15mm thickness (sides, top & bottom)

what i'm trying to answer...

- 7ply? 11ply?
- baffle thickness?
- backpanel thickness?

list goes on and on...

Anyway, thanks in advance!
Cheers!
:cheers: :welcome: To the best forum ever on Marshall amps cabs, and everything in between! Cheers Mitch