What do think are the standard features and componets a modern tube amp should have?

• Thread starter TonalEuphoria
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PelliX

Reaction score
It's a tube amp... wouldn't you want to keep the DI analog, too?

I don't think one necessarily excludes the other, though. REVV seem to do this just fine, for example.

And USB connections add terrible noise to guitar gear.

I'm not sure where this tale originated, but with all due respect, it's nonsense. USB is a digital bus and has no noise floor of even a concept thereof. In order for *audio data* - and note the use of the word data there - to be carried over USB, it has to be converted to a digital bitstream by some form of ADC (analog to digital converter) for to it reach the computer/DAW. There the bitstream (digital data, which has no hiss, no hum, no buzz and not even any *inherent* loss) is stored as a replica. On playback/output, it's once again converted from digital data to "audio signal" by means of a DAC. Of course there are many links in that chain that can ruin it all but the same applies to recording to tape with a mic. Duff cable, ropy preamp, crap mic or buggered tape will be apparent in the final result. The interesting part is that once you're dealing with digital data, there is no inherent loss or degradation of quality when copying it or playing it back, as opposed to analog systems where each step will incur a loss to some degree.

While it's entirely true that many implementations fall short of the mark, the same could be said about many analog systems, too.

vinnemon

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree that cathode biased amps would be so much easier nowadays. The only thing preventing me to buy a modern Fender Deluxe reverb is the fixed bias. I couldn't handle the necessity of taking the amp to a technician every time changing the tubes.

nortiks

Reaction score
Absolutely, though if they ever implemented it the most cost-effective way would be rotary encoders and op-amps. My personal fav, although even more expensive would be motorized pots.
Motorized pots are too slow imo, and op-amps put you in hybrid signal path amp territory which for me defeats the purpose. So digital pot (which uses a rotary encoder as its tactile control and midi for its secondary automation) is the only real way to do it, imo.

PelliX

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree that cathode biased amps would be so much easier nowadays. The only thing preventing me to buy a modern Fender Deluxe reverb is the fixed bias. I couldn't handle the necessity of taking the amp to a technician every time changing the tubes.

Or you simply bias it yourself. It's really not that hard and scary as some make it out to be. Get a pair of bias probes and practically anyone could do it. Just sayin'.

nortiks

Reaction score
That's a matter of design and implementation... :D
They aren't going to achieve single digit millisecond response, which is about as slow as I would want to go, personally. They maybe can get under 100 ms for smaller movements, which if I'm in the middle of a song and need the change, isn't very good. But on the other hand, it would sure be an improvement over reaching back and twisting knobs, lol. Or what actually happens, using an EQ pedal to try to accomplish what is needed. So if someone offered an amp that used motorized pots, I would definitely try it (provided I liked the core tones) for switching speed.

Codebreaker

Reaction score
This! And add some recording/direct out interfaces, auto-bias, and a no cab load.
I would like to see a built in Overdrive maybe a choice of two or three also built in Reverb,Delay and Chorus Effects plus a special Clean Channel voiced for Amp Modelers!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I would like to see a built in Overdrive maybe a choice of two or three also built in Reverb,Delay and Chorus Effects plus a special Clean Channel voiced for Amp Modelers!
And a drink holder! :ugh:

TassieViking

Reaction score
Under Downunder Where The Devils Roam At Night
External bias pot and test points.... Gotta make it standard
Might as well throw in a small meter for setting bias on the back, rotary switch to select the tube to test.
The price of a digital display is so cheap its ridiculous, I could get a meter and switch cheaper then a set of brake light globes for my car. I replaced the parking lights and brake and rear tail light globes and I was up at $50 AU for globes.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Light gauge strings so you don't spill your beer while getting the lashes, spilling beer is a 100 lashes penalty. (but if you are drunk enough to spill beer you most likely won't feel the lashes anyway)
Even if your amp has a cup holder? Like the Blades death murder kill shit box 100 ?

PelliX

Reaction score
They aren't going to achieve single digit millisecond response, which is about as slow as I would want to go, personally. They maybe can get under 100 ms for smaller movements, which if I'm in the middle of a song and need the change, isn't very good. But on the other hand, it would sure be an improvement over reaching back and twisting knobs, lol. Or what actually happens, using an EQ pedal to try to accomplish what is needed. So if someone offered an amp that used motorized pots, I would definitely try it (provided I liked the core tones) for switching speed.

Right, middle of the song... OK, I see your point. Though, it would guarantee a smoother operation than switching in a resistor network - which to me is actually arguably just as important. A quarter second cut-out will stand out live, a half or whole second fade less so, I'd say. Well, it might sound more "intended"... :)

Last edited:

december

Reaction score
I don't think one necessarily excludes the other, though. REVV seem to do this just fine, for example.

I'm not sure where this tale originated, but with all due respect, it's nonsense. USB is a digital bus and has no noise floor of even a concept thereof. In order for *audio data* - and note the use of the word data there - to be carried over USB, it has to be converted to a digital bitstream by some form of ADC (analog to digital converter) for to it reach the computer/DAW. There the bitstream (digital data, which has no hiss, no hum, no buzz and not even any *inherent* loss) is stored as a replica. On playback/output, it's once again converted from digital data to "audio signal" by means of a DAC. Of course there are many links in that chain that can ruin it all but the same applies to recording to tape with a mic. Duff cable, ropy preamp, crap mic or buggered tape will be apparent in the final result. The interesting part is that once you're dealing with digital data, there is no inherent loss or degradation of quality when copying it or playing it back, as opposed to analog systems where each step will incur a loss to some degree.

While it's entirely true that many implementations fall short of the mark, the same could be said about many analog systems, too.
It's not a tale. I have several amps and pedals that have USB and every single one of them adds an obnoxious amount of nasty digital noise to the entire signal chain when connected to a computer. So if they're all connected, it's so much noise, it's completely unusable. A lot of people have this problem, it's very real.
USB isolators work, but not with anything high speed, so audio transfer doesn't work on them, but they do work for pedals that have a computer app for editing presets and for MIDI over USB.
But on Windows, you can only use one audio device at a time, so you can't use an interface AND USB audio from an amp. You'd have to monitor thru the amp to be able to record from the amp over USB. XLR is just more practical and can be used with your regular interface without having to change devices and monitor the mix thru a guitar amp.
I had the Revv G20. The digital components in it added a high-pitched whine to the signal. An $80 Hum Exterminator fixed it, but they already charge way too much for that mediocre amp. The IRs are terrible. Tubby, boxy, too much bass, fizzy digital sounding high end. I could not get a usable recording with any of them.

nortiks

Reaction score
Right, middle of the song... OK, I see your point. Though, it would guarantee a smoother operation that switching in a resistor network - which to me is actually arguably just as important. A quarter second cut-out will stand out live, a half or whole second fade less so, I'd say. Well, it might sound more "intended"... :)
Yes a digital pot implementation would require ramping, just like what happens in virtually all of digital audio. But it isn't an audio drop out since its moving from one "position" to another. For me, its the tone stack where I really want to see this. There are plenty of options for decades for the volume and drive.

PelliX

Reaction score
It's not a tale. I have several amps and pedals that have USB and every single one of them adds an obnoxious amount of nasty digital noise to the entire signal chain when connected to a computer. So if they're all connected, it's so much noise, it's completely unusable. A lot of people have this problem, it's very real.

Sounds to me like there are A) a fair deal of poor implementations out there and B) a lot of poorly filtered computer power supplies/regulators. Both are known to be true, though generally these things can be addressed.

USB isolators work, but not with anything high speed, so audio transfer doesn't work on them, but they do work for pedals that have a computer app for editing presets and for MIDI over USB.

If a USB isolator works, then you are fairly dealing with an issue that is resolvable at the root - which is good news. Audio transfer is also not 'high speed'; a USB implementation doesn't vary its *speed* once established. Latency, bandwidth and so on vary depending on workload.

But on Windows, you can only use one audio device at a time, so you can't use an interface AND USB audio from an amp. You'd have to monitor thru the amp to be able to record from the amp over USB. XLR is just more practical and can be used with your regular interface without having to change devices and monitor the mix thru a guitar amp.

Agree, yet that is a bit of an arbitrary Windows limitation.

I had the Revv G20. The digital components in it added a high-pitched whine to the signal. An $80 Hum Exterminator fixed it, but they already charge way too much for that mediocre amp.

Digital components do not add 'whine' to a signal, that would inherently be an analog phenomenon. What I'm guessing is that a switcher power supply was either failing, fed dirty current or insufficiently buffered to prevent bleed to the signal path. I've had this happen and seen this a lot, unfortunately.

The IRs are terrible. Tubby, boxy, too much bass, fizzy digital sounding high end. I could not get a usable recording with any of them.

Hmm, ok. Never actually used a Revv - but thanks for the heads up! :)

december

Reaction score
Audio transfer is also not 'high speed'; a USB implementation doesn't vary its *speed* once established. Latency, bandwidth and so on vary depending on workload.
Well, audio interfaces never work thru these USB isolators. They limit the data transfer bandwidth and don't let power pass thru, so any USB-powered devices also don't work on the isolators. The ones without a housing have terminals on the circuit board where you can hardwire an external power supply, though, if you absolutely need to use the isolator with a device that needs to be powered over USB.
Yeah, noise is always the result of poor quality components, shoddy wiring/grounding, dirty AC power, and/or EM/RF pollution. Really high end gear used in a building with good power will probably not have these kinds of issues, but most of us aren't able to afford the most expensive computers or to buy a new house if the power is dirty in our current home.
I have like $20,000 of gear, but I can't even get a clean guitar signal with active humbuckers in my apartment. There is so much EM/RF noise coming from the pickups, I've tried everything and nothing helps. I probably have to build a faraday cage big enough to play guitar in, that will take up half my living room.