• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

What do you sit on to play your guitars? If you don’t stand of course

• Thread starter mrjones2004x
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_LA

Reaction score
I Try to Never play sitting down.
Why? It's easier to play and I would never perform sitting down so why get used to it?
Here is one Satriani antidote, he wrote a song while sitting but when it came to performing it, he realized that he couldn't play it standing. That song is not part of his live show . . . . .

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
I just use a plain, straight back chair; it was originally from a dining table set.
Playing electric I mostly play standing.
My chair is squeaky so if recording acoustic I may sit on a Mesa combo- it's on casters and is a little high but not too bad.

The chair in OP looks too reclined for my taste..not to mention too rich for me.

RLW59

Reaction score
sept-15-1978-smp-doobie-brotherstriciareqbandsjeff-baxtercredit-image-DN7ARP.jpg
Jeff Baxter sat through several Doobie Brothers tours. At the time, he said it wasn't just because he plays better and always sits in studio sessions, but as a philosophical point that you don't need to move around to rock'n'roll. (At least one of the tours was when they were still a guitar rock band, before Michael MacDonald joined.)

03fb15d8e8c63eb5e016086ad8e02836.jpg
Robert Fripp has spent his entire career on his ass.

349658975_b9eb38164c_b.jpg
John Lee sat while his employees stood.

Lots of pics of Hendrix, Clapton, the Stones and the Beatles sitting while recording.

Nothing wrong with sitting.

But you do play differently when standing. If you always sit when you practice and then go to audition or jam standing up, you'll feel all sorts of awkward.

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
So I was just browsing random stuff on eBay and came across a Barcelona chair. I’ve never heard of one but that looks like a great guitar relaxing chair for noodling away. Wide, no arms, simple but elegant design.

Just got me wondering what people sit on when they’re not standing to practice. I sit on a Gibson stool. Think it’s the 24 inch variation. Had it about ten years and it’s great. I’ve got a small 2 seater sofa in my jamming space that’s actually only ever been sat in a few times in ten years. I’ve slept in it more when others have had Covid as it’s a sofa bed also. I might ditch this sofa and get a Barcelona styled chair. Can’t afford a real one and my cat might scratch it so a few hundred quid type one fine. Similar to this.

What’s your guys choices?

The day I'm too old or feeble to play standing will be the day I sell it all.

Temporary setbacks like a broken leg not withstanding of course.

10kDA

Reaction score
Most of the time I play standing. I generally play acoustic sitting. For sitting, chair, couch, anything without arms that get in the way. I may have to get one of these and a matching one for the singer for duo gigs.
StoolStand.jpg

Club & coffee house owners sometimes don't like it when you use seats meant for paying customers. I play acoustic the way a classical guitarist does, with the guitar resting on my left leg though I'm right-handed. I suppose I'll have to try a few of those stool things to find one with the crossbar at the best height for my left foot.

10kDA

Reaction score
Drum stool. Okay, “throne”, haha.
When drummers refer to their "thrones" I take the time to say something like "Yeah, that's what we called the toilet at my house."

giblesp

Reaction score
I have back problems, from martial arts and probably playing as a teenager without warming up, guitar as low as possible, head banging etc.
I do yoga which greatly helps. I use my yoga chair for playing, which helps my back and keeps my neck shoulders in alignment.

I also simply sit on the bed for practice before sleep.

PelliX

Reaction score
full

Good investment, would highly recommend. There's an optional back rest by the looks of it, but I've never cared to go looking for it. Very stable, very comfortable.

hsb

Reaction score
I use a gaming chair with moveable arm rests

JSJ900

Reaction score
Edge of the couch or a Gibraltar drum throne for me.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Sometimes i play airguitar while sitting on the construction site throne. Gotta move some air in there or you die.💩

All the female guitarists out there can sit on my lap while they play, i don't mind it.😜