• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

What Guitar Do You Regret Not Buying?

• Thread starter axe4me
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
For me there's 2.

About 2-3 years ago, I almost bought a Gibson ES 335 P 90 Dot in Graphic Metallic.

Should have.

Oh, I regret it to this day.

I was offered a Travis Bean TB1000S for $200.00 in the late 80's.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I said, "I have too many guitars" :>0

Well, that was a mistake.

donwagar

Reaction score
About 1967, the guitar shop had a 1957 sunburst Strat hanging on the wall. If I recall correctly, it was $250 (which was a fair amount of money back then for a young guy). It didn't come with a case so I passed on it.

Still haunts me.

Deftone

Reaction score
Passed on this really clean, all original '79 Strat a few years back for $1200. About a year before prices went insane.

*EDIT* looking at the old thread, this turned out to be a '78.

img_4787-jpg.361115

Just looking at it again makes me hurt inside.

Last edited:

jamvu

Reaction score
My buddy and I went shopping for a strat....I think it was a 67 or 68 strat. Anyway, it was located in a barn in east bum fuck NH.

We get there and this kid comes put with a beat up case and opens it up. It needed a paint job bad...the black paint was bubbly and the neck was played but had serious MOJO. The thing played like butter but I couldn't get past the paint job. Too early in my guitar buying career for me to appreciate what it was. Think it was like 900 bucks at the time....this was like 1998.

Yeah, I could have scraped the paint and had a sweet natural finish and a sweet axe but nope.😔

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
My buddy and I went shopping for a strat....I think it was a 67 or 68 strat. Anyway, it was located in a barn in east bum fuck NH.

We get there and this kid comes put with a beat up case and opens it up. It needed a paint job bad...the black paint was bubbly and the neck was played but had serious MOJO. The thing played like butter but I couldn't get past the paint job. Too early in my guitar buying career for me to appreciate what it was. Think it was like 900 bucks at the time....this was like 1998.

Yeah, I could have scraped the paint and had a sweet natural finish and a sweet axe but nope.😔
Now people are taking belt sanders to and throwing rocks at brand new guitars to get that look.

livebiz

Reaction score
It was a G&L Legacy Special at GC a few years ago for <500 and not a Tribute. It had a pawnshop hold on it and I was heading out of town and didn't feel like messing with it. It was a very light and resonate guitar. I've tried several since but none of them have matched the mojo that one had.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
WAY too many to count / remember , but some standout ones include a single cut TV Les Paul Special (a real one) It was in a pawnshop in OK that I used to frequent .The bridge had been moved .It was $2500 right around the turn of the century .I just never had the cash at the time ,or I woulda made a deal

A white Univox Hi Flier w/ Humbuckers and wraparound tailpiece . Ive been obsessed with those since high school (late 70s)
This was in a different pawnshop in OK . It was $99 .Unfortunately , it was just a week or two after 9-11 .When stuff like that happens , I feel this sense of caution when it comes to frivolous spending .........IT WAS 100 BUCKS ! :wtf::shrug::rofl:
My guitar dealer friend just got one for his store and lists it at $1250............

A Univox Ripper in a pawnshop in Memphis .I think I just didn't like the shop operators too much

A Harmony acoustic that belonged to Paul Burlison

Ouite a few Ibanez Gibson copies over the years

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
OK.

When I bought my first real good guitar...........it was a '69 Gibson ES 335, I was offered an early '60's Gibson ES 335 for $200.00.

Why would I buy a used 335 when I can have a new one?

This was 1969 and I was 16.

Here's the '69..............

1969gibsones335tdc.jpg

It's a peach.

Still have it.

Tiboy

Reaction score
I don’t know if it rises to the level of regret, but I do wish I had picked up one of the limited run PRS 594 SC Soapbar guitars when they were available.

ajtonly1

Reaction score
none, almost all the stories i read above is about someone regretting it "because they are monetarily valuable now" If they were great guitars we would have bought them, forget the value and remember why you passed.

Just cause they are old doesn't mean they were or are great...........
in this modern cash grab people are forgetting this. Prices are going insane just because they are old.

but that's my opinion

Last edited: