What is "Vintage"?

• Thread starter Goes211
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Goes211

Reaction score
The word "vintage" gets tossed around an awful lot these days when it comes to discussion of music gear. How do you guys define "vintage"?

Myself, I always thought it meant that something in the materials or process no longer exists and thus makes that item more desirable because "you can't get that anymore." Hard for me to look at a late 80s MIJ Strat (and I like these a lot) as vintage. Maybe the Fender brand MIJ strats no longer exist, and certainly many of them were very nice, but the quality, process and materials used to manufacture these guitars still exist - maybe just not with the Fender "Made in Japan" label.

And I'm not picking on MIJ strats. That's just an example. I'd love to hear someone else's opinion on what vintage means to you.

Grunch

Reaction score
Vintage: adj. Characterized by excellence, maturity, and enduring appeal; classic.

Interesting question. I think age, unavailability, and desirability have to all factor together. For example, a 1965 Pontiac Tempest is certainly old, certainly unavailable, but it's not particularly desirable. But a 1965 Pontiac GTO (which is a Tempest) is one of the most highly collectible cars ever. Certainly a "vintage" musclecar while the base Tempest is just an old car.

Or maybe it's a style of manufacturing that's no longer available yet still desirable. An original hand-wired Plexi is more sought after than a circuit board re-issue..

Ydna

In Memorandum
Reaction score
I think a lot of it is nostalgia. People get nostalgic about old cars especially. Which has driven prices up like crazy.

When it comes to musical items, it's nostalgia, and if someone famous used something similar.

Redstone

Reaction score
I'd consider my 1963 Gretsch to be vintage. It is in pretty good shape and plays unbelievably. It's perfect for me.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a big difference between vintage and classic. Regarding musical instruments, particularly guitars, there is nothing made after 1969 that is considered truly vintage. Everything later than 1969 becomes a classic after it has reached 20 years of age. For example, a Norlin-era 1974 Gibson Les Paul in Wine Red with a sandwich-style body may be considered a classic, and may also be collectable. But it's not a vintage guitar.

Moreover, in my experience an instrument can't be considered collectable unless there's something unique about it compared to other models of its time AND that model is no longer available today AND it's desirable. For example, a plain top Gibson Les Paul in Heritage Cherry Sunburst made in 1982 isn't vintage, nor is it highly collectable, it's merely an older guitar, perhaps even worth its original retail price or more due to its age and desirability. But a But a 1979 Fender 25th Silver Anniversary Stratocaster is highly collectable because it's unique. Older guitars may retain value for two reasons: 1) the wood has aged, and 2) cost savings compared to new models of the same kind, assuming it's still in production. Likewise, a 1982 Fender Strat is simply an older guitar.

Actual sale value is ultimately determined by demand, availability and overall condition.

Vintage = Pre-1969, no longer in production, unique, very rare and highly desirable. (Think 1957 Chevy, '50s Gibson or Fender, 40s Martin.)
Classic = 20 years of age or older. May be collectable, but currently not considered vintage. (Think early Star Wars memorabilia.)
Collectible = 20 years of age or older, must be unique to other models of its time, must be desirable. (Think 1979 Fender 25th Silver Anniversary Stratocaster.)

You can't just take a 1982 plain top Les Paul and post it on eBay as vintage for 3 or $4K. Unless it's unique, it probably isn't worth much more than maybe $1,200. A lot of people have been fooled by the term "vintage".

Last edited:

LEOVAN83

Reaction score
Same applies to movies I believe, when a movie is a "classic", like Scarface or The Exorcist...it's been 30 years or more right?

msgdman

Reaction score
Example, my 1975 Brown Ford Torino, not vintage.

A paint job later...vintage:

100_1078.jpg

RazorDave

Reaction score
A desirable piece, 1980's and below...but it also depends on what items, for example, and 1980s tour shirt is gold.. a 1980's Lamp, probably not..

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
Example, my 1975 Brown Ford Torino, not vintage.

A paint job later...vintage:

100_1078.jpg

a freind of mine had one of these tanks when we were teenagers. primer grey, no hotrodding, but the thing was a beast.

i think they made cars from battleship steel back then :thumb:

sccloser

Reaction score
I always thought that vintage meant over 25 years old. I know that in cars, over 25 makes it a classic. I dunno.

poeman33

Reaction score
If they made it when I was a kid. I consider it vintage.
Some might call that antique though :)

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I keep wondering:

What will I be worth when I reach 50 years of age? Can you put a Vintage value on human livestock? If so, is there a Blue Book for this?

LEOVAN83

Reaction score
Curious question...

What happens then if you buy a Gibson Les Paul Standard or Custom or whatever this year, 2013....

Will it be considered "vintage" and have more value in 2043?

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious question...

What happens then if you buy a Gibson Les Paul Standard or Custom or whatever this year, 2013....

Will it be considered "vintage" and have more value in 2043?

No, it will be collectable and have more value.

^AXE^

Reaction score
I don't think many if any modern era Gibson's or any other mass produced guitars will have any significant increase in value.

Just due to the sheer numbers. It's not like 58-59-60s models where there were limited quantities made.

They will just be old collectibles.

And not rare.

Latest posts