What makes DSL lead 1 to lead 2?

• Thread starter johnnyeggz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
Ok
Desoldered the ground on C34.
Clearer,bit of a drop in gain,sounding much more "Marshall" now.

Is snipping C75 the same as the C12 mods in the original DSLs?

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
Snipped one leg of C75....
More girth,really like it.

Don't have the parts to do R14 or C58.
What will these changes do?
Less gain?
More bass?

chadjwil

Reaction score
No, not exactly, but it might give you a similar result. I think cutting that cap out should brighten things up a bit. If you can desolder it without destroying the cap I would try that first.

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
I can't believe Marshall didn't just make em this way.
It's like a different amp, sounds amazing now,thanks again for all ya help.

chadjwil

Reaction score
Tubermensch is a very knowledgeable fellow, but I would disagree with him on this point. R14 will have a pretty good effect on your clean channels gain factor that you might not like. If it were my amp and I was happy with the clean sound and the changes I already made, I wouldn't touch that one.

As far as C58 goes, the original drawings do call for a 2n2 cap there, but this is another "to taste" change in my opinion. Tuber was correct that the drawings are different at that component, but the sonic difference between 2.2 nano-Farads (.0000000022Farads) and 1nF is pretty much Tzizi fly stuff, possibly undetectable by the human ear. Again, not be the least bit disrespectful of Tubermensch, he's right and a very smart guy, but in my opinion changing that cap is only gonna cause you undue heartache.

BTW, very happy to hear that you're on the right path here bro!

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
Tubermensch is a very knowledgeable fellow, but I would disagree with him on this point. R14 will have a pretty good effect on your clean channels gain factor that you might not like. If it were my amp and I was happy with the clean sound and the changes I already made, I wouldn't touch that one.

As far as C58 goes, the original drawings do call for a 2n2 cap there, but this is another "to taste" change in my opinion. Tuber was correct that the drawings are different at that component, but the sonic difference between 2.2 nano-Farads (.0000000022Farads) and 1nF is pretty much Tzizi fly stuff, possibly undetectable by the human ear. Again, not be the least bit disrespectful of Tubermensch, he's right and a very smart guy, but in my opinion changing that cap is only gonna cause you undue heartache.

In that case,
I'll box it up and call it done.

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
Thanks Tubermensch , Chadjwil and Micky.
Woulda took me weeks to figure this out on my own.

chadjwil

Reaction score
I would imagine that Tubermensch or another forum member maight have their own opinions about my last comments that you might want to consider before you call this thing done...and you should listen to them.

I would just like to say good on you Johnnyeggz! You took advice and opinions from us that didn't always agree, and then did a good amount your own research before you took the snips and iron to your rig...and it sounds like you've gotten the desired result. More people interested in tweaking their amps should take that same approach. Well done Sir!

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Initially I was very reluctant to stick my foot in the water here so to speak.
Not knowing others ability or level of expertise makes me very wary of providing information that could be potentially dangerous or possibly ruin someone else's equipment. Kind of like editing the registry of someone's computer...

But I am glad in this case that despite my initial misgivings things can turn out OK. There are others here that say these types of mods need to be completed by experienced, certified technicians to insure safety and guarantee success. Another thing to realize is that tone, or perceived tone is a very subjective thing, and what might sound great to one person might not be desirable to others. Also, guitars, pickups, speakers, tubes and many other components contribute to the overall sound of any particular combination, and that needs to be taken into consideration.

Is this kind of stuff for everyone? No. But if you are willing to take the time, ask questions and take some risks, it just might be.

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
Initially I was very reluctant to stick my foot in the water here so to speak.
Not knowing others ability or level of expertise makes me very wary of providing information that could be potentially dangerous or possibly ruin someone else's equipment. Kind of like editing the registry of someone's computer...

But I am glad in this case that despite my initial misgivings things can turn out OK. There are others here that say these types of mods need to be completed by experienced, certified technicians to insure safety and guarantee success. Another thing to realize is that tone, or perceived tone is a very subjective thing, and what might sound great to one person might not be desirable to others. Also, guitars, pickups, speakers, tubes and many other components contribute to the overall sound of any particular combination, and that needs to be taken into consideration.

Is this kind of stuff for everyone? No. But if you are willing to take the time, ask questions and take some risks, it just might be.

I'm glad ya did.
I can't read schematics,my lazy ass fault.
I should really learn,that said,I know my way around PTP Marshall's like my bathroom.
But these modern PCB amps are crazy.
I got spoiled with layouts and diagrams.

I should really take the time to learn how to read em....but in the mean time,how about turning that clean channel into crunch.............
Hahahahahaha

Tüßermensch

Reaction score
Tubermensch is a very knowledgeable fellow,
Hello again

Yes i can confirm

I would disagree with him on this point. R14 will have a pretty good effect on your clean channels gain factor that you might not like. If it were my amp and I was happy with the clean sound and the changes I already made, I wouldn't touch that one.
Well the man hased asked for the differences and i hased given them. 220k is the first stage anode resistance in the former amplifier, so it hased been included. It doesn't have to be so if the sound without the change is well. The difference in the voltage amplification will not be as much and the clean path has a great load exactly after. it will sound different yes, more feel difference

I do not understand what is a Tzizi fly? there is a difference that is quite audible between the couple in this clircuit plan. 1nf will have a zero frequency 339hz and one pole frequency arriving at 1.4khz. 2n2 will have a zero frequency About 150hz and a pole one about 635hz. This will be more than that of one octave between the both 1n and 2n2. 2n2 one will hased include more middle range gain
All change is to a taste though and why this person hased wanted to alter it in the beginning.

- Heinrich

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
Hello again

Yes i can confirm

Well the man hased asked for the differences and i hased given them. 220k is the first stage anode resistance in the former amplifier, so it hased been included. It doesn't have to be so if the sound without the change is well. The difference in the voltage amplification will not be as much and the clean path has a great load exactly after. it will sound different yes, more feel difference

I do not understand what is a Tzizi fly? there is a difference that is quite audible between the couple in this clircuit plan. 1nf will have a zero frequency 339hz and one pole frequency arriving at 1.4khz. 2n2 will have a zero frequency About 150hz and a pole one about 635hz. This will be more than that of one octave between the both 1n and 2n2. 2n2 one will hased include more middle range gain
All change is to a taste though and why this person hased wanted to alter it in the beginning.

- Heinrich
I'll get the parts and try em out.
Thanks Heinrich.

chadjwil

Reaction score
Well, that's what I get for not doing all my homework! Can't argue with any of that.

BTW, a Tzizi fly is a tiny little fruit fly from Asia that everyone in the US back in the 70's was sure would end up killing us all with diseases and whatnot.

Ken

Reaction score
Let me know if you get this mod figured out. I think the DSL15 would have been total WIN if it had ultra1 and not the ultra2 channel. Doesn't Marshall realize that almost nobody uses the Ultra2 channel on any DSL????

Marshall still thinks people need a foot switch for reverb.

Ken

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
Swapping R14 from 100k to 220k will add gain,correct?

Tüßermensch

Reaction score
Swapping R14 from 100k to 220k will add gain,correct?

Only one small amount. It will also change much other things bias q point of this block So more will become changed. Output z, harmonic generation, all of this things. You maybe should try it so you can know for yourself. Anode resitor is only one of these pieces to a much more bigger puzzle game.

-Heinrich

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
Only one small amount. It will also change much other things bias q point of this block So more will become changed. Output z, harmonic generation, all of this things. You maybe should try it so you can know for yourself. Anode resitor is only one of these pieces to a much more bigger puzzle game.

-Heinrich

I will.
Couldn't find the parts locally,so I'm waiting for them to come in the mail.

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
Spending some time really looking at things,seems like a much bigger job turning the clean to crunch .
Should have the rest of the ultra channel parts later today,I'm psyched to hear how it sounds .

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
Looks like c58 is already 2n2,lucky for me because it would have been a pain in the ass to remove.