What makes DSL lead 1 to lead 2?

• Thread starter johnnyeggz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
First chance I have had to listen to the video in detail.
I really like the sirens in the beginning. Brooklyn perhaps?

It seems like you have really tamed the gain adjustment, I didn't notice a lot of change between settings, you went pretty quick between them but I like it. Anything to remove the fizz is an improvement.

Can you imagine how that will sound thru a closed-back 4X12?
Anyway, nice demo. Let us know how the choke install goes!

millezotla

Reaction score
johnnyeggz,
can you make us a video or pictures of your mod ? Inside of the ampli. I find it very interesting. Thank you

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
First chance I have had to listen to the video in detail.
I really like the sirens in the beginning. Brooklyn perhaps?

It seems like you have really tamed the gain adjustment, I didn't notice a lot of change between settings, you went pretty quick between them but I like it. Anything to remove the fizz is an improvement.

Can you imagine how that will sound thru a closed-back 4X12?
Anyway, nice demo. Let us know how the choke install goes!

There's a good difference between 0 and 11o'clock, from there it just gets thicker and then mushier.
I'm gonna raise v1b cathode resistor to 2.7k and see if that tames it a bit more.

cybermgk

Reaction score
There's a good difference between 0 and 11o'clock, from there it just gets thicker and then mushier.
I'm gonna raise v1b cathode resistor to 2.7k and see if that tames it a bit more.

Pardon my ignorance and lack of a schematic. But which resistor is the v1b cathode resistor?

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
R40 to 2.7k got it right where I want it.
Still more gain than ya could ever use,but later in the sweep of the knob.

cybermgk

Reaction score
R40 to 2.7k got it right where I want it.
Still more gain than ya could ever use,but later in the sweep of the knob.

What was the value before? 700-800 ohm range? Or was there no resistor?

How did it affect the uber compression at higher gain settings?

Asking, cause I'm wondering if I want to go back in myself. I have the R82 and 2 cap mods in, and also a 12AY7 in V1 and 5751 in the PI. I like where it is ALMOST completely. 0 to Noon is just perfect for most classic rock, even modern rock. Noon to 1:30, maybe even 2 oclock gets into heavy, but still useable gain. After 2 o'clock the uber compression starts in. At 3 o'clock its highly compressed, and then just continues more to full at 5 o o'clock.

Above, is at home volumes.

Through the Attenuator, with the MV rolled up, it's fairly similar. Useable gain, imho ends only a hair earlier.

And, the Clean/Green CH still gives nice JTM tones and blues crunch by itself, and gets into, imho, modded Plexi territory with a boost pedal.

Ergo my question on the effect of the v1B resistor going up to 2.7k, while running 12AX7s.

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
It's still compresses at 2:30 3:00,i think it s just the nature of the beast.
But with 2.7k,ya do get cleaner crunch tones at 9:00.the original value is 1.8 kgo higher if ya want.

cybermgk

Reaction score
Here where min is without the V1B change, and a 12AY7 in V1 (and 5751 in PI).

It's a quick clip I just ripped off on the red Ch. Pardon my crap playing (I try, but I is what I is, and it was rushed. Only been playing GUITAR for almost 2 years now. Former Keyboardist and vocalist years ago, pre 15 year marriage and divorce 2 years ago, going Guitar this time).

Its with the Master Vol at home/bedroom/apt friendly volumes (8:45ish to 9 o'clock). EQ all at noonish, presence at 10. The little 'riff' is done with gain at: lowest setting, 9 o'clock, 11, 1 o'clock, 3 and full. Gibson Faded Studio w Burstbucker Pros, on Bridge. SM57 on Avatar CAB with G12H30 70th Annis

Red Ch Low MV by CyberTim on SoundCloud - Hear the world

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewx4U5Hiv5I]MARSHALL DSL 15H MODDED 2 - YouTube[/ame]

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
For the record:
Putting a 10k resistor in series with C34 is not the same as snipping it out.

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
I didn't think it would be. I'm assuming you tried it both ways? If so, what impact did each have?

Snipped less bass
10k in series more bass.

I put the 10k in and raised both v1 cathodes to 2.7k