What makes DSL lead 1 to lead 2?

• Thread starter johnnyeggz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
Changing R14 from 100k to 220k :
It's done something I can't quite put my finger on,but in a good way.
It's deeper?
More solid?
Whatever ,it's good.

So now this mod needs a name so all others can find it and implement it.
From this day forth it shall forever be know as:
The DSL15 Mighty Mick Chad German Mod.

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
Put in a set of JJ 6v6s in.
Stiffened it up a bit more.
This lil amp has a wopping 435 plate voltage.

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
I think I'm liking R14 at 100k better.
It had an old school vibe to the distortion ,maybe I'll try 120 or 150k.
Whatcha think?

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
Yeah I hear ya.
I'm gonna live with it awhile.
But I'm thinkn it'll be changed eventually.

Tüßermensch

Reaction score
Spending some time really looking at things,seems like a much bigger job turning the clean to crunch .
Should have the rest of the ultra channel parts later today,I'm psyched to hear how it sounds .

Hello again,

It is not so much one grand task, but I might grab rules that I am not to assist you further in a grand way until you can read circuit plans. It becomes to me one fair trade

-Heinrich

Tüßermensch

Reaction score
I think I'm liking R14 at 100k better.
It had an old school vibe to the distortion ,maybe I'll try 120 or 150k.
Whatcha think?

In the end it is to be your amplifier and only your playing experience. Do what is the better for your fingers and ears

-Heinrich

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
Hello again,

It is not so much one grand task, but I might grab rules that I am not to assist you further in a grand way until you can read circuit plans. It becomes to me one fair trade

-Heinrich
Hahahahahaha

Fair trade indeed.

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
So while I'm waitn on parts to finish up the ultra channel,I've been trying to study the clean channel to see what it takes to make it like the crunch mode.
I think I've got it narrowed down to where on the 15 and 50 schematic to compare ,but with all the switches a relays on the 50 it makes it confusing.
With that said it looks like it would be as much "taking away" as it would be "adding" different components.

chadjwil

Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but if you mod your clean channel into a crunch mode then you will never have a clean channel ever again, which I would bet money that one day you will want. BUT, a nice little tube screamer or a hundred other OD or boost pedals will give you the exact sound you're looking for and you'll still have a clean channel when your girl says play me that John Mayer song I like so much and I'll do that special little thing that you're always trying to talk me into. Sound reasonable?

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly what Chad sez.
Why mod the clean to a crunch when you already have a crunch channel?

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
That amp apparently doesn't have crunch, only clean and lead2 if I understand correctly.

Right.

As for Clean.
I don't need clean .
This amp has a specific purpose,its my lil grab and go head for these small to medium NYC rooms.
Quick set up and breakdown ,in a perfect world it would be JCM 800 green channel and kick in the red for leads.

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
Well I went back to the stock 100k @r14 .
Anything else was too much to my ears.

Let me also say ,this PCB is tender,she don't like much soldering on those pads,hadda run a wire for one side.
I think I'm going to live with her like this for awhile,then maybe raise the cathode resistor on V1b to see if it'll tame her a bit more.

Last edited:

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9mOtvA7VtE]Marshall DSL 15 H Modded to sound good. - YouTube[/ame]

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.
Im probably gonna shave a bit more gain by uping v1b cathode resistor.Also, do ya think a choke would help keep it tight at higher gain /volume settings?

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help.
Im probably gonna shave a bit more gain by uping v1b cathode resistor.Also, do ya think a choke would help keep it tight at higher gain /volume settings?

A choke might help. Since it is SS rectified, there might not be as much sag anyway, but it might make a difference...
I am interested in this mod, what choke would you use and exactly where would you insert it into the circuit? As well as where would you mount it?

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
I'm thinking the 3h from Classic Tone,I'd mount it near the PT someplace.
I know it takes the place of one of the big ceramic resistors,I just gotta compare it to other schematic to see exactly which one.
But first I wanna see what raising V1b cathode resistor does.