What Other Amp Sounds like a Marshall JCM800...

• Thread starter jerryjg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jerryjg

Reaction score
does any other production, not clone amp, sound like a jcm800, but able to be dilaed in with more modern higerh gain also?

SRD

Reaction score
I'm pretty satisfied with my Peavey Classic 50 2x12.
One of the bands I'm in, I need a Marshall sound but, long short short, I have to have a compact setup, so that what I'm using.
Through a full PA with a little board tweaking, without actually seeing what I'm using, I think it passes for an old Marshall (I only use a little over 1/2 the gain also).

Nudge68

Reaction score
Try Cornford.... any of the 50 watt models. If you find one, I'm sure you'll appreciate the tone. They don't come cheap, but worth every penny.

cheers,

Matt.

bvoris

Reaction score
Marshall Mosfet Lead 100 can come pretty close and they are really cheap on ebay. (altho it is no longer in production and it is not a tube amp)

Thiez

Reaction score
Splawn quickrod.
Maybe a laney GH50L (it's a bit more compressed then a JCM though).
Laney AOR.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Rumor has it that the Peavey VTM is a JCM 800 clone... :hmm:

Yup, and the Butcher. Not the modern one, the one from the 80s.

But the VTM and the Butcher will have a more "American" sound to them since theyre 6L6 loaded.

Theres also Ceriatone, who makes Marshall clones. I also believe the Mesa Stiletto and Atlantic amps are Mesa's take on the Marshall sound.

And if youre on a budget, theres the Peavey Windsor.

Derek S

Reaction score
+1 on Ceriatone. I have the 100 Chupacabra and it does a great traditional 800 tone as well as a badass, pissed off Jose 800 tone (as in way more gain/saturation). It's so close that I was debating which of the 1 watters to pick up, the JCM-1 or the JMP-1 but honestly, the JCM-1 would be redundant for me because the Chupa already nails that vibe so well, and so I've decided on the JMP-1 (if I can find one, lol).

The Quick Rod was another great recomendation...especially first gear.

Last edited:

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I assume when you say JCM 800 you mean. 2203/2204. IMO there are a lot of good answers here. I think Lester is on the right track. Only a Marshall is going to have the Marshall snarle and EQ. I have a bogner shiva that captures what you speak of but has no headroom = too much gain. I would caution against too much gain as this will leave behind the Marshall definition.

I would if using a 2203/2204 apply a .68uf cap to the V2a cathode resistor and use a BBE Green Screamer in front of the amp. The cap will add a little smooth gain, the screamer will add more gain than a SD-1 and not add more Mids which is more of a modern metal tone. And it WILL still sound like a Marshall. Good luck.

Just my $.02

David

SRD

Reaction score
I assume when you say JCM 800 you mean. 2203/2204. IMO there are a lot of good answers here. I think Lester is on the right track. Only a Marshall is going to have the Marshall snarle and EQ. I have a bogner shiva that captures what you speak of but has no headroom = too much gain. I would caution against too much gain as this will leave behind the Marshall definition.

I would if using a 2203/2204 apply a .68uf cap to the V2a cathode resistor and use a BBE Green Screamer in front of the amp. The cap will add a little smooth gain, the screamer will add more gain than a SD-1 and not add more Mids which is more of a modern metal tone. And it WILL still sound like a Marshall. Good luck.

Just my $.02

David

I agree, I use a MXR Micro Amp, adds gain, doesn't color the sound and pushes the tubes which thickens it up a little. best used 50 bucks I ever spent. It adds nicely to whatever amp I'm using at the time.

Darth Federer

Reaction score
+1 on Ceriatone. I have the 100 Chupacabra and it does a great traditional 800 tone as well as a badass, pissed off Jose 800 tone (as in way more gain/saturation). It's so close that I was debating which of the 1 watters to pick up, the JCM-1 or the JMP-1 but honestly, the JCM-1 would be redundant for me because the Chupa already nails that vibe so well, and so I've decided on the JMP-1 (if I can find one, lol).

The Quick Rod was another great recomendation...especially first gear.

You are located in NW Georgia, USA? If so, the Atlanta GC still has one combo left in stock when i was there a couple days ago. If you have to have a head then you might want to call the store and see if they can get you on a special order list if they try to put one together. I know that most retailers will not offer more of these models but the manager at this GC told me they are trying to put together a special order because of demand. I think a store in Tennessee still had one the last time i searched too. Good luck.

hellride

Reaction score
The Peavey Windsor gets pretty close to a JCM800.
Doesn't have a "metal" sound in it though.
I boost my Windsor with a MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive and I get more gain than I need out of that combination.

V-man

Reaction score
You can try the MF350.

It is a "valve state" platform based on two 2 channel amps (four modes). Amp 1 is classic-voiced, which was billed to be dialed to JCM800. Amp is modern-voiced, which includes a 3-position dial to switch mids. Thus, Amp 1 is Clean/Crunch, Amp 2 is OD1/OD2 Each channel is independently EQed and footswitchable. There is also onboard reverb and solo boost. On top of that, they are cheaply priced being misunderstood and discontinued. If you have any dialing skills and can shed the valvestate stigma, it is probably the best kept secret in Marshall History.

X2203xman

Reaction score
I think Lester has it nailed.I had the 900sl-x in a red head version.It was similar to the 800 with more gain,but for me it lost just a bit of organic harmonic tone compared to my 2203x.I used both for awhile,and the sl-x was sold,but I think it might be what you are looking for.I go for less gain ala zztop or ac/dc,and I preffered the 2203x's clean tone over the sl-x.