• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

What Rock/Rock-Metal Band was the Last one to even Matter?

• Thread starter Sapient
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Baker

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another part of the problem is EVERYONE wants to call their damn music rock.

I remember clear and well that Alternative and Grunge were anti-rock ..more than beyond glam too. They did not want to be called rock at the time and purposely weren't. They even skipped doing guitar solos, a lot of them, to show their anti-rock support.

I made the call THEN, that when their little terms "Alternative" and "Grunge" essentially died, they would then come running to cling to being associated with "Rock". Mainly to preserve some sort of longer term relevance. Rock my butt-oxen. They were Alternative and Grunge and in my book they ain't slippin' out of it.

You, "Skid Row", everything ...you guys have completely missed the essence of the topic and are on your own ride off it. "Skid Row" sucking or not sucking essentially has nothing to do with it. Essentially they have nothing to do with the main point of the topic at all.

Man ...I'd hate to rely on message through some of you here ...I'd ask for a sandwich, and you'd bring me back a helicopter. Jeez.

Carry on. You've invented your own thread.

:rolleyes:
In an effort to give all of the acts that I have never heard of in this thread the benefit of my doubt I've listened to every one of them. None of them have inspired me in any way. Not one made me want to crank up the volume let alone go pick up my guitar. One thing this thread has done is make me want to relearn 18 and life! Thanks @Sapient !

Ray Baker

Reaction score
My 2 faves are the mighty Zep and the mighty Stones. Always have been, always will be.

We all liked 18 in Life unless one was "hay hay" at the time. Like anyone else here, I don't spend my days thinking about Skid Row. In fact, I haven't listened to car audio while driving in over 20 years now. The vibe any modern music brings to me is not one of the planet Earth that we all once lived on.
I agree, Rammstein is the only modern band that I crank up to full volume....And Halestorm.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
I agree, Rammstein is the only modern band that I crank up to full volume....And Halestorm.
Rammstein isn’t exactly modern. They’ve been around almost 30 years, they’re kinda like ACDC in that they keep playing another version of the same stuff.
Don’t get me wrong I love them and would love to play in a tribute band of their stuff. But I wouldnt call them “modern”

Ray Baker

Reaction score
Rammstein isn’t exactly modern. They’ve been around almost 30 years, they’re kinda like ACDC in that they keep playing another version of the same stuff.
Don’t get me wrong I love them and would love to play in a tribute band of their stuff. But I wouldnt call them “modern”
That is a good point, I only started listening to them about twelves years ago, makes them modern to me :) then,

GIBSON67

Reaction score
I've been trying to find some new music lately and DAMN BOYS the Rival Sons are now top of my new listening list! Amazing singer!

8 yrs ago this video was my introduction to Rival Sons. What they put out has every element many rock fans appreciate; good lyrics & great vocals, heavy Bonham-like drumming, creative & nasty guitar riffs and a sold bass. Great band carrying the torch.

..and they toured with Sabbath on their final tour. Asked to do their tribute at grammys here..

Rival Sons aren't as heavy as Skid Row, et al. In that vein of music I don't know any new/young bands, but I don't look for it either. I do like Last in Line.....those geezers can bring it :)

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I like this band a lot. Best new for me. I kind of waved their flag and no one cared. Glad you brought them back in @Bloodrock !
I have posted their vids and shit in Joes thread .
I guess we need to keep pushing them on people to get them to listen, and there is another SoCal band that I have posted as well..
Cheers

Latest posts