• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

What Rock/Rock-Metal Band was the Last one to even Matter?

• Thread starter Sapient
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.google.com/search?q=who...5622961968&source=lnms&biw=1004&bih=734&dpr=2

OK, stewing on me now, sorry big incoherabt rant Inc!
The last ROCK band that mattered was Dead Kennedy's, a PUNK ROCK band ( notice the word rock)
Sang with soul, based in blues, didn't give a toss what people thought ( pull my strings, great example, sang at a music awards ceremony) had bigger balls than all your heavy metal heroes. Get in the ring by gnr? Yeah OK. Your so tuff. Jello Biaffra actually ran for mayor when the band was at its peak to put his money where his mouth was.
How many " rock" bands do that?
East Bay Ray, great guitarist. Used gain, must have been shit, pfft.
Dead Kennedy's did what all your great "rock" bands sang about doing but never did.
Sell out stadiums? With that much spent on PR and advertising you would hope so.
Oh and let's not forget the looks, sorry, you can't be a great rock singer unless the girls swoon and you have 1 great dance move you do as nauseum ( wave Axel and ur shitty sway this was then that)
Actually I tell a lie, Freddy Mercury had the balls. And how'd that go down in the good ol u s of a.
You all worship marketing shadows, nothing more
The end ( till I finish my next beer)

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
This thread has become our favorite rock band thread.

It seems that today's "artists" are the product of a corporate idea and studio engineering magic.

There's very little musicianship but mostly eye candy.

Is The Weekend a musical groundbreaker, or even, a musical force?

Those, "where are they now" New Years Eve "artists" of the industry are imposters.

There hasn't been much since Ed Sullivan presented The Beatles on his weekly show.

There's very little music inspiration to pick up an instrument and be proficient.

Instead there's plenty of singers waving their arms and studio synthesized vocals.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
This thread has become our favorite rock band thread.

It seems that today's "artists" are the product of a corporate idea and studio engineering magic.

There's very little musicianship but mostly eye candy.

Is The Weekend a musical groundbreaker, or even, a musical force?

Those, "where are they now" New Years Eve "artists" of the industry are imposters.

There hasn't been much since Ed Sullivan presented The Beatles on his weekly show.

There's very little music inspiration to pick up an instrument and be proficient.

Instead there's plenty of singers waving their arms and studio synthesized vocals.
The problem isn’t the people naming their favorite rock bands, it’s the guys who are complaining that they can’t find something that they refuse to look for.

Hasn’t been much since Ed Sullivan? Pull your head out of the sand old feller.

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
The problem isn’t the people naming their favorite rock bands, it’s the guys who are complaining that they can’t find something that they refuse to look for.

Yeah, it's been a long trail of "What should be and what is".

I think guys like Terry Bozzio; Lee Skar; Brent Mason; Warren Haynes; Jimmy Herring & Christopher Parkening and many others should be revered by everyone.

They look like ordinary people and not botox stars.

What these guys and many others do is "god like".

I'm an anachronism.

I don't need a camera on me when I speak.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I’ve seen Warren and/or Herring live at least 50 times so they are far from irrelevant—Mule just put out a live album that is great. No Skid Row of course, but still great. I’m sure I’ll catch them both sometime this year if the world starts spinning again.

Parkening was incredible but not sure he’s even picked up a guitar in decades?

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score

I'm looking for these CD's at Walmart:

Joe Walsh Analogman

Deep Purple Now What

I guess I have to use Amazon.

Walmart has a George Strait CD where the picture of George is 40+ years old.

rick16v

Reaction score
I grew up in the late 70s-90s range like many here. When I was young the music of the day (bands like Skid Row, Motley Crue, even Van Halen to a lesser extent) just did not measure up to the bands that came before. Hendrix, Zeppelin, Stones etc all seemed like much better bands to me - like way, way better. The 50s era even seemed more appealing to me. I actually thought things improved after hair metal started dying off. Not to say the hair bands didn't have talent and I could appreciate it somewhat but it was too formulaic and too commercial for my taste. Sebastian Bach was like the Brittany Spears of his day- bubblegum.
They even kinda look alike- ;)
sebastian-bach-2.jpg

The dude could sing. Actually, so can Britney :applause:

Sapient

 
Reaction score

Another part of the problem is EVERYONE wants to call their damn music rock.

I remember clear and well that Alternative and Grunge were anti-rock ..more than beyond glam too. They did not want to be called rock at the time and purposely weren't. They even skipped doing guitar solos, a lot of them, to show their anti-rock support.

I made the call THEN, that when their little terms "Alternative" and "Grunge" essentially died, they would then come running to cling to being associated with "Rock". Mainly to preserve some sort of longer term relevance. Rock my butt-oxen. They were Alternative and Grunge and in my book they ain't slippin' out of it.

I’ve seen Warren and/or Herring live at least 50 times so they are far from irrelevant—Mule just put out a live album that is great. No Skid Row of course, but still great. I’m sure I’ll catch them both sometime this year if the world starts spinning again.

Parkening was incredible but not sure he’s even picked up a guitar in decades?

You, "Skid Row", everything ...you guys have completely missed the essence of the topic and are on your own ride off it. "Skid Row" sucking or not sucking essentially has nothing to do with it. Essentially they have nothing to do with the main point of the topic at all.

Man ...I'd hate to rely on message through some of you here ...I'd ask for a sandwich, and you'd bring me back a helicopter. Jeez.

Carry on. You've invented your own thread.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

rick16v

Reaction score

I remember clear and well that Alternative and Grunge were anti-rock ..more than beyond glam too. They did not want to be called rock at the time and purposely weren't. They even skipped doing guitar solos, a lot of them, to show their anti-rock support.

I made the call THEN, that when their little terms "Alternative" and "Grunge" essentially died, they would then come running to cling to being associated with "Rock". Mainly to preserve some sort of longer term relevance. Rock my butt-oxen. They were Alternative and Grunge and in my book they ain't slippin' out of it.

I think they all just died or grew up.

Affiliating with a 3 decades old scene (not a music style, alternative and grunge were loads of different genres from pop to rock to punk to metal incorrectly grouped by the media) is a bit sad when you're in your 40s and 50s.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
The dude could sing. Actually, so can Britney :applause:

Yeah, like I said, some of the hair bands had talent (and I could enjoy some of it a bit) but the overall trend I found pretty banal and boring at the time. Certainly I didn't think (and still don't) Skid Row is anywhere near as good as Zepp or Hendrix et al.
But it's all a matter of tastes and opinion.
In my totally subjective opinion I would not consider the song you linked to be hard rock. More so a power ballad or something. Not really rock per se. But that's the arbitrariness of genres. I guess it's hard rock because the guitars are crunchy?

Lo-Tek

Reaction score

A lot of truth to that. People complain about the state of music but they really just want the same formula over and over again. That's fine but they should at least admit the problem is largely (or partially) with them not with the state of music. You just can't expect a particular trend in popular music to last forever. Tastes change with time.

rick16v

Reaction score
Yeah, like I said, some of the hair bands had talent (and I could enjoy some of it a bit) but the overall trend I found pretty banal and boring at the time. Certainly I didn't think (and still don't) Skid Row is anywhere near as good as Zepp or Hendrix et al.
But it's all a matter of tastes and opinion.
In my totally subjective opinion I would not consider the song you linked to be hard rock. More so a power ballad or something. Not really rock per se. But that's the arbitrariness of genres. I guess it's hard rock because the guitars are crunchy?

Not really sure on the genre. They were not hair metal, they were heavier and less bluesy than GnR. I think they're probably metal?

That's a power ballad I think. I was more commenting on his vocals. He was a good singer for sure, deffo more than just hair and make up.

tallcoolone

Reaction score

I think a lot of this is just in your head man. Rock isn’t mainstream because JayZ isn’t a fan. Mainstream isn’t as important nowadays luckily so we still get access to good bands—lots of examples here on this thread.

You, "Skid Row", everything ...you guys have completely missed the essence of the topic and are on your own ride off it. "Skid Row" sucking or not sucking essentially has nothing to do with it. Essentially they have nothing to do with the main point of the topic at all.

Man ...I'd hate to rely on message through some of you here ...I'd ask for a sandwich, and you'd bring me back a helicopter. Jeez.

Carry on. You've invented your own thread.

I haven’t missed anything, reading every word you are typing. It is fascinating really—it’s like you stopped paying attention to anything music related in 1995. The good news for you is that if you are really as passionate about music as you seem to be there is a truckload of cool stuff out there for you to discover.

I am going to be the same way in 10yrs with television BTW—I stopped all Hollywood entertainment years ago and don’t see myself diving back in for a long while. I’ll catch up later. Maybe lol

Last edited:

Sapient

 
Reaction score
I think a lot of this is just in your head man. Rock isn’t mainstream because JayZ isn’t a fan. Mainstream isn’t as important nowadays luckily so we still get access to good bands—lots of examples here on this thread.

I haven’t missed anything, reading every word you are typing. It is fascinating really—it’s like you stopped paying attention to anything music related in 1995. The good news for you is that if you are really as passionate about music as you seem to be there is a truckload of cool stuff out there for you to discover.

I am going to be the same way in 10yrs with television BTW—I stopped all Hollywood entertainment years ago and don’t see myself diving back in for a long while. I’ll catch up later. Maybe lol

It's all good. When I create this thread I never would have imagined it turning out the way it has. It is certified that we at these types of forums DO in fact live in a bubble. Lol.

:idea:

Sapient

 
Reaction score
Let's get back on topic. The OP was who is your favourite band and do you like Skid Row.

My 2 faves are the mighty Zep and the mighty Stones. Always have been, always will be.

We all liked 18 in Life unless one was "hay hay" at the time. Like anyone else here, I don't spend my days thinking about Skid Row. In fact, I haven't listened to car audio while driving in over 20 years now. The vibe any modern music brings to me is not one of the planet Earth that we all once lived on.

Last edited:

Latest posts