• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

What Rock/Rock-Metal Band was the Last one to even Matter?

• Thread starter Sapient
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
They do well for the times for sure. Of course, they are essentially a young Zeppelin, and honestly I don't think they'd even expect too much credit for who they are. I mean who are they?? They do Zeppelin in every way so well that us old dudes eat it up. Forget The Song Remains the Same ...go see Gretta!

I think they are a great throwback act that sounds excellent because they do it so well.

No ...didn't. ??

I'm really not a big fan, and what was then, was then. I just think they were the last relevant hard rock/metal band to be successful and relevant to the genre, indiscriminately.

I do remember Snake was an awesome lyricist. He wrote all the words to their songs.
basically a Barretta with a snake paint job based off one of his favorites.
Kramer is making some cool stuff since Gibson bought them.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Yup, real rock is out there, I think the problem is more us and not the music.
In your teens/early adulthood music speaks to you in a way that is very hard to capture once you age, for me and Rock ( not alternative, lots of alt stuff I like still out there) I'd say King Gizzard and the lizard wizard is pretty ballsy without being death metal stuff.
Yep agreed! I think the majority of people tend to like most the stuff they grew up on because it shaped us.
I really like Halestorm, Pretty Reckless, some good new hard rock bands.
I think we become sentimental. My heart belongs to April Wine and Priest, Triumph amd Scorps and 70s hard rock to 80s hair metal. Early 70s stuff is meh to me for the most part as is 90s on.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
They do Zeppelin in every way so well that us old dudes eat it up. Forget The Song Remains the Same ...go see Gretta!

Old dudes are irrelevant--they don't subscribe to multiple services, they aren't on social media and they sure as hell don't go to shows. In today's society that means you don't matter. Greta is big because relevant people enjoy them.

It's OK not being into them, but they are doing more for rock and guitar music than you or I are.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
^^^ what he said. I’m all for anything that encourages people to play actual instruments.

Remember when you started playing? Ohhh the heros ...the heros the heros. I started in '84 and it was magic. Nowadays, kids can only use it to sidekick a YouTube channel that demos amps. I give my '80s for ...nothing! Lol.

:)

Sapient

 
Reaction score
Yep agreed! I think the majority of people tend to like most the stuff they grew up on because it shaped us.
I really like Halestorm, Pretty Reckless, some good new hard rock bands.
I think we become sentimental. My heart belongs to April Wine and Priest, Triumph amd Scorps and 70s hard rock to 80s hair metal. Early 70s stuff is meh to me for the most part as is 90s on.

I kinda sit where you do. I like every band you mentioned as they ruled the '80s. Early '70s brings minor vomit sensation to me as well, but I wouldn't go that far. Some was Ok.

I really dug the rock/hard-rock/metal back then: AC/DC, Triumph, Cars, ZZ Top, Dio, Maiden, Priest, April Wine (yes!), early Motley, Ratt's earlier stuff, earlier Whitesnake, Billy Squire, Sabbath, Ozzy, Hagar, etc. Back to Kiss, Cooper, early Queen, REO, Foghat, etc.

I felt 1990 was a steep drop of a cliff, and with regard to music I've never landed. Lol.

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
Funny, I grew up in the 80s too (born in 1975) and on Headbanger's Ball, so GnR/Pump-era Aerosmith, Trash-era Alice Cooper and Razor's Edge-era AC/DC, but I also love the early 70s stuff, and even went back and listened to the guys that inspired my heroes (so all the blues greats, the three Kings, Muddy Waters, Curtis Mayfield, that kind of stuff).
Then I played in a (mostly Stax) soul band for a few years, and became a Steve Cropper fan. Studied jazz and listened to a lot of Jeff Beck and Tuck Andress.
I first listened to Gary Moore in his blues era, but ended up liking his 80s rock era even more.
I hated grunge back in the day, but revisiting it, I really like Alice In Chains. Can't get me to listen to Nirvana and Pearl Jam though (and don't really like Soundgarden either).
There's lots of good music out there in each era, you just have to approach it with an open mind.

Remember when you started playing? Ohhh the heros ...the heros the heros. I started in '84 and it was magic. Nowadays, kids can only use it to sidekick a YouTube channel that demos amps. I give my '80s for ...nothing! Lol.

:)
On the flip side, the kids have it much easier that we did: remember rewinding the cassette or VHS to catch that lick you didn't understand ? saving all month to purchase that songbook or REH VHS, or waiting for GW or GFTPM so you could finally learn that kickass song, only to find out that the tab wasn't accurate or complete ?
Now they can start Youtube and find all that info, or even the original artist explaining in great details how he played that particular part that eluded you.
Not even mentioning how beginner guitars are miles better that what we started with.
Way less frustrating that hat we had to deal with, and many gave up early when they couldn't play a bar chord, and only the most dedicated stuck with it.
(and yeah I know, there's positives to all of these, but overall it's much easier for the kids today than it was for us)

Last edited:

Sapient

 
Reaction score
@WellBurnTheSky

Yea ...some would say too easy. They've got YouTube to learn anything they want, and we had Joe Fava, Tisket a Tasket, and yes, hitting rewind and play (lightly) at the same time over and over to try to get a lick. It was hell for us especially because if you couldn't be of the best you were 0 at that time. Competitive times before the loser got the trophy and the winner got reprimanded.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
On the flip side, the kids have it much easier that we did: remember rewinding the cassette or VHS to catch that lick you didn't understand ? saving all month to purchase that songbook or REH VHS, or waiting for GW or GFTPM so you could finally learn that kickass song, only to find out that the tab wasn't accurate or complete ?
Now they can start Youtube and find all that info, or even the original artist explaining in great details how he played that particular part that eluded you.
Not even mentioning how beginner guitars are miles better that what we started with.
Way less frustrating that hat we had to deal with, and many gave up early when they couldn't play a bar chord, and only the most dedicated stuck with it.
(and yeah I know, there's positives to all of these, but overall it's much easier for the kids today than it was for us)

OMG yes...1000% Flip side is, it's that much easier for us now!

tallcoolone

Reaction score
@WellBurnTheSky

Yea ...some would say too easy. They've got YouTube to learn anything they want, and we had Joe Fava, Tisket a Tasket, and yes, hitting rewind and play (lightly) at the same time over and over to try to get a lick. It was hell for us especially because if you couldn't be of the best you were 0 at that time. Competitive times before the loser got the trophy and the winner got reprimanded.
Listen to Rival Sons, will ya? I'd love to hear your honest feedback

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
I agree with the OP's general sentiment, but not his timeline. I'd say by the late 90's hard rock/metal ceased being a mix of both popular and culturally relevant. The only thing that Skid Row marked the end of was that cases of Aqua Net in the dressing room were no longer required.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Funny, I grew up in the 80s too (born in 1975) and on Headbanger's Ball, so GnR/Pump-era Aerosmith, Trash-era Alice Cooper and Razor's Edge-era AC/DC, but I also love the early 70s stuff, and even went back and listened to the guys that inspired my heroes (so all the blues greats, the three Kings, Muddy Waters, Curtis Mayfield, that kind of stuff).
Then I played in a (mostly Stax) soul band for a few years, and became a Steve Cropper fan. Studied jazz and listened to a lot of Jeff Beck and Tuck Andress.
I first listened to Gary Moore in his blues era, but ended up liking his 80s rock era even more.
I hated grunge back in the day, but revisiting it, I really like Alice In Chains. Can't get me to listen to Nirvana and Pearl Jam though (and don't really like Soundgarden either).
There's lots of good music out there in each era, you just have to approach it with an open mind.

Yeah I mean I like Aerosmith etc and also like old blies or bluesy stuff. Not my main area tho. Loved Gary Moores hard stuff long before his blues came out. That stuff is golden!
I think given what most have posted that what they really like best is often based upon their formative years.

Adieu

Reaction score
Big-time? Probably ended with Dio

Smaller or lesser known or local acts that had the music, the spirit, the presence, the professionalism, and everything, but lacked the global impact? Plenty still around

Places like Japan and parts of Europe still got it

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
Well, if you consider some of the higher-grossing tours of the last few years (pre-pandemic obviously) were Guns n' Roses, Muse (no one talks about them, but they're about as relevant, popular and successful as it gets...recent too), U2, Iron Maiden, and from what I gather TSO is one of the highest-grossing tours in the US years after years...I guess as a commercial genre, rock is about anything but dead.
Last I checked, none of these acts are doing clubs. And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mötley Crüe sell out Wembley Stadium for 2 or 3 nights back in 2018 ?
Also, isn't Bohemian Rhapsody one of the most streamed songs of the decade ? That's a whole new generation being introduced to rock as a whole.
All considered, I'd actually guess that rock as a genre hasn't been that relevant and visible in 20 years. And I wouldn't be too surprised if, a few years from now, we see another wave of young rock bands that achieve some commercial success.
I mean, the jazz heads would kill to have such visibility (if they weren't so snobbish and happy to stay in their dark clubs, that is).

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
To me, the last great rock and roll band to appear on the scene was Guns & Roses. Beyond that, it's been mostly a wasteland, with none of the "new school" rock bands even coming close to what we had in the 80s.

I'd say that Steel Panther would qualify as a "new" band that would carry the torch, except that they're a comedically oriented band, actually they're both serious about their music and also a parody of it at the same time.

If you look at their discography, I believe that Accept has kept things going better than any other metal band to come out of the 80s. Every few years they've kept cranking out more material and it's always good and true to form.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
Well, if you consider some of the higher-grossing tours of the last few years (pre-pandemic obviously) were Guns n' Roses, Muse (no one talks about them, but they're about as relevant, popular and successful as it gets...recent too), U2, Iron Maiden, and from what I gather TSO is one of the highest-grossing tours in the US years after years...I guess as a commercial genre, rock is about anything but dead.
Last I checked, none of these acts are doing clubs. And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mötley Crüe sell out Wembley Stadium for 2 or 3 nights back in 2018 ?
Also, isn't Bohemian Rhapsody one of the most streamed songs of the decade ? That's a whole new generation being introduced to rock as a whole.
All considered, I'd actually guess that rock as a genre hasn't been that relevant and visible in 20 years. And I wouldn't be too surprised if, a few years from now, we see another wave of young rock bands that achieve some commercial success.
I mean, the jazz heads would kill to have such visibility (if they weren't so snobbish and happy to stay in their dark clubs, that is).

Yep ..the OGs still got their fans for sure. My point is no one was to follow ...and no one will, ever. Just the very un-rock wannabes of overly PC generations of dudes playing dress-up, unoriginal blues progressions, putting models in their videos that have no idea who the band is (nor do or will they ever care), and being completely irrelevant to the overall generation that they live in. They're like a lame tiger with his teeth knocked out and claws torn off.

Half the problem here is that most people that missed the rock boat have no idea what it is because they were not there. They think that rock is the getup they see in these lame "after school special" types dressing up like a "blues man" as they pick through the trash on soundcloud and bandcamp to get their dose of phony rock. It's quite sad.

Rock was a music style, more so ..a lifestyle, a phenomenon, a movement of sorts. It was lived and breathed. You wanted to rock your life away and would have rather died in a ditch if you couldn't.

Yeah, Elvis and Skid Row...only the classics, right?

Nope. Just the swag and the blues roots. ;)

To me, the last great rock and roll band to appear on the scene was Guns & Roses. Beyond that, it's been mostly a wasteland, with none of the "new school" rock bands even coming close to what we had in the 80s.

I'd say that Steel Panther would qualify as a "new" band that would carry the torch, except that they're a comedically oriented band, actually they're both serious about their music and also a parody of it at the same time.

If you look at their discography, I believe that Accept has kept things going better than any other metal band to come out of the 80s. Every few years they've kept cranking out more material and it's always good and true to form.

Good call. G&R was certainly the last HUGE rock band. Really huge. I think you're completely "on" with your perspective too.

Last edited:

Latest posts