What song are you currently learning?

• Thread starter SonVolt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JayCM800

Reaction score
There's some truth to that. I remember being a kid and hearing that KISS stood for "Knights in Satan's Service". That was soooooo spooky to a 10 year old. Even my mother thought AC/DC were satanist because of Hell's Bells. Kids these days just think it's silly dad rock. How the times have changed...
If these were the 70's i'd still get the same reaction to my posts! :cool:

Nudge68

Reaction score
I'm working on my own stuff :yesway:

Though I must say rocking out on my old faves to (re)cut some teeth is always fun. Leo Brouwer etudes most recently :)Beautiful easy pieces to maintain your chops :shred:

Blokkadeleider

Reaction score
I'm not calling you asshole, asshole(oops :D)... read it again!

The asshole comment was for crossroads(double oops:D)... it even includes a friendly smiley icon!

In the same sentence i called myself an asshole too, just not a complete one...

The forum banned me because it's too PC, and as we all know PC is stupid!

Only a Stupid PC forum will ban me again....

Stop being a PC Asshole :lol::lol::lol::lol:

On another note, more on topic...
Working on Man on the Silver Mountain for a project with some old friends.
Probably an effect of my NGD lately. :naughty:

Gr,

Gerrit.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Are you calling me an asshole ??

Time to grow up buddy.

I can see clearly now why the forum banned you before.

Lol, I think that was directed at me ... but I also think it was done in a friendly way rather than being serious. Just ribbing each other a bit :lol:

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not calling you asshole, asshole(oops :D)... read it again!

The asshole comment was for crossroads(double oops:D)... it even includes a friendly smiley icon!

In the same sentence i called myself an asshole too, just not a complete one...

The forum banned me because it's too PC, and as we all know PC is stupid!

Only a Stupid PC forum will ban me again....

Fair enough

Lol, I think that was directed at me ... but I also think it was done in a friendly way rather than being serious. Just ribbing each other a bit :lol:

Yes I understand what you're saying, rib away.

I more interested in encouraging people rather than ribbing people because at the end of the day, what's really going to matter the most.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Fair enough

Yes I understand what you're saying, rib away.

I more interested in encouraging people rather than ribbing people because at the end of the day, what's really going to matter the most.

Welcome to the backstage :cool:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not really working on any song specifically at this time, but thanks to Vin's slide thread I've set up one of my guitars in open E with the action a little higher and I'm working on getting a feel for the slide. My goal is to eventually be able to rip off on some Joe Walsh stuff, but for now I'm just working on getting the feel and learning how to keep it under control without all the unwanted noise.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
I don't know...Metal about Satan is not scary anymore!

Metal about Narc gangs and Suicide bombers is where it's at if you want to scare the shit out grown ups?!?!

Brujeria (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought this was still the USA?

:hmm: interesting stuff. I've heard of them but never paid attention. I guess you're right man, if you want to shock people singing about Satan doesn't cut it anymore and it's kinda cheesy. :wave:

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Who is that? She's the most irritating nut case I've ever seen. A good actor, or just nutty. :lol:

Why it's Marbles Harsgrove.

PWYJudges-MelissaMcCarthy-MarblesHargrove.png

1neeto

Reaction score
I'm about halfway through the solo... If there's one thing this has taught me is that I need to practice more. It brings the pain...

...btw - big announcement tomorrow from me.

John Petrucci - Dream Theater - On The Backs Of Angels - A Dramatic Turn Of Events 2011 - Part 3 - YouTube
Great song I'm a big DT fan but I don't dare to try anything from Petrucci. I'm light years away from that skill level.
Petrucci is an awesome guitarist, I would like to learn this song next.
Lots of very cool nuggets in this piece.

Dream Theater - The Count of Tuscany - YouTube
Great song from an otherwise weak album. I can't stand Portnoy's growls though.
There's some truth to that. I remember being a kid and hearing that KISS stood for "Knights in Satan's Service". That was soooooo spooky to a 10 year old. Even my mother thought AC/DC were satanist because of Hell's Bells. Kids these days just think it's silly dad rock. How the times have changed...

LOL I was told the same thing about KISS. Later I learned that they're just about the silliest band out there. Even Gene Simmons said that he was always more interested in making a rock brand not a rock band. And they have been very successful in such thing.

Songs I'm learning? Just some stuff for my band to cover.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trinU3VD1Zo]Chevelle - The Red - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F_fg4QrBvI]Adele - Skyfall Cover (James Bond) by Our Last Night - YouTube[/ame]

And we're arranging a very cool version of this. :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktvTqknDobU]Imagine Dragons - Radioactive - YouTube[/ame]

LKrevival

Reaction score
mY Favorite approach usually when it comes to covers is learn it note for note as close to possible and then start using a back track to the song where I do the main solo close to original and if I can find a back track that is extended in the outro so I make up my own soloing at that point. Kind of a perfect blend to expanding yourself learning what others did but having to get creative also.

I do that with Purple Haze, La Grange and All along the watchtower if I could find a longer back track for that last one. But songs like from Rush I try to stay close to copying as I can.

Dream Theater, Satriani and Yngwie?, never ventured into that territory yet ha ha.

CaptainZero

Reaction score
mainly working on my own rythem & riffs ..also started learning 'save us' by Helloween

I love Helloween! :headbanger:

Working on a bunch of songs (all over the place). In my first band, but been playing over 20 years. I can relate to getting a song started and then getting bored with it.

SO MUCH more fun to play with other people!

CaptainZero

Reaction score
Okay, here is some Helloween. From when I graduated HS

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOAl0enE7kI]Helloween - Halloween (1987) - YouTube[/ame]

Latest posts