• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

What would you like to see from Marshall?

• Thread starter davidclayson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
A new lead amp designer.

well they got rid of the best classic amp designer & now everything is aimed @ the "new" techno market......WTF are we supposed to do??? :scratch:

they still have Santiago & a good crew but ti's ownership & marketing that's driving everything.

chances are- if you let Facebook & Twitter opinions/comments drive your business decisions YOU WILL FAIL.

johan.b

Reaction score
What about self powered 50 watt 1x12 for those who use rack preamps. .would be great not to haul around power amps. Give them line in and slave out, so you just bring as many as you need and chain them together

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
I'd like to see a "safety" circuit that keeps the amp in standby if there is no speaker load attached to the amp (I'd like to see this mostly in heads but maybe on some combos as well.

I saw this idea employed by Steve Fryette in his Power Station Integrated Reactance Amplifier unit. I don't know if this same idea is used in other amps, but this unit was the first time I had seen/read about it. Anyways, I thought it was a brilliant idea that can protect the amplifier from serious damage. Not sure how easy it would be to do this, but its a cool idea nonetheless if it were on all future Marshall heads.

It's never happened to me, but I've had some close calls. Playing without a load attached usually equals bad results most of the time.:nono:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see a "safety" circuit that keeps the amp in standby if there is no speaker load attached to the amp (I'd like to see this mostly in heads but maybe on some combos as well.

I saw this idea employed by Steve Fryette in his Power Station Integrated Reactance Amplifier unit. I don't know if this same idea is used in other amps, but this unit was the first time I had seen/read about it. Anyways, I thought it was a brilliant idea that can protect the amplifier from serious damage. Not sure how easy it would be to do this, but its a cool idea nonetheless if it were on all future Marshall heads.

It's never happened to me, but I've had some close calls. Playing without a load attached usually equals bad results most of the time.:nono:
Marshall, in the JVM & DSL 1 watt amps, has an L pad attenuator, so, if nothing is plugged into the amp, the pad is providing an ample load. You can use either amp as a pre-amp because of that...

On the other hand (probably the same w/ the Fryette), if the cable is plugged into the amp, but no load on the speaker end, the safeguard is null & could give a false sense of security...

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Marshall, in the JVM & DSL 1 watt amps, has an L pad attenuator, so, if nothing is plugged into the amp, the pad is providing an ample load. You can use either amp as a pre-amp because of that...

On the other hand (probably the same w/ the Fryette), if the cable is plugged into the amp, but no load on the speaker end, the safeguard is null & could give a false sense of security...
I was reading both the JVM 1 watt and DSL 1 watt handbooks; they mention nothing of what you are describing, yet they all say to use a speaker load or else you may damage the amp. I played these one watt heads (not the combos, though) and they all sounded great, but I never got into them enough, so that detail might have slipped passed me.

If in fact those two amps used this kind technology, it would be nice to see it employed in future amp heads.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I was reading both the JVM 1 watt and DSL 1 watt handbooks; they mention nothing of what you are describing, yet they all say to use a speaker load or else you may damage the amp. I played these one watt heads (not the combos, though) and they all sounded great, but I never got into them enough, so that detail might have slipped passed me.

If in fact those two amps used this kind technology, it would be nice to see it employed in future amp heads.
The designer told me this himself. I saw a post he made in this forum:

The DSL1 and JVM1 use an L-attenuator that serves both as load and output voltage attenuator so those will deliver an output voltage that is much more independent of the input impedance of whatever you connect them to, being the voltage more or less constant an approx 1.8V peak. This is the reason why the DSL1 and JVM1 use a combined single output speaker and don't need to be switched into 0.1W to operate safely without load.

I have grilled him in person on this & he has assured me that there will be no harm running either the JVM1 or DSL1 w/o a load. He's told others this same thing, as I've seen on other forums. You just have to make sure that nothing is plugged into the speaker out jack, as the attenuator is engaged when nothing is plugged into the jack...

Ghostman

Reaction score
something completely new. New design, new circuit, new everything.

We have enough reissues, and updates to antiquated designs.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
The designer told me this himself. I saw a post he made in this forum:

I have grilled him in person on this & he has assured me that there will be no harm running either the JVM1 or DSL1 w/o a load. He's told others this same thing, as I've seen on other forums. You just have to make sure that nothing is plugged into the speaker out jack, as the attenuator is engaged when nothing is plugged into the jack...

Wait a minute. I had to reread this part a few times:

"You just have to make sure that nothing is plugged into the speaker jack, as the attenuator is engaged when nothing is plugged into the jack."

It seems like you are describing the operation of another feature without a load. For example, are you talking about operating the JVM1/DSL1 without a load while using the emulated Line Out? Are you talking about operating the JVM1/DSL1 without a load while using the low 0.1 watt feature? I don't follow the notion that a player can operate the JVM1/DSL1 without a load so long as nothing is plugged into the speaker output jack. I can't see the relation to what I first posted about a "safety" standby feature and what you are describing in the JVM1 and DSL1. Maybe it's the built-in "attenuator" that is not making sense to me. As mentioned previously, I didn't closely follow the talk about the one watt amps in the past so this is somewhat new to me.

Swede

Reaction score
A DSL35c, switchable to 17 watt....I dont think theres enough of those DSL's out there, What about those people that think 15 watt is too little and 20 too much?????

Now they would have 17....DUH!

BADABOOM....KACHIIIING!!!

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute. I had to reread this part a few times:

"You just have to make sure that nothing is plugged into the speaker jack, as the attenuator is engaged when nothing is plugged into the jack."

It seems like you are describing the operation of another feature without a load. For example, are you talking about operating the JVM1/DSL1 without a load while using the emulated Line Out? Are you talking about operating the JVM1/DSL1 without a load while using the low 0.1 watt feature? I don't follow the notion that a player can operate the JVM1/DSL1 without a load so long as nothing is plugged into the speaker output jack. I can't see the relation to what I first posted about a "safety" standby feature and what you are describing in the JVM1 and DSL1. Maybe it's the built-in "attenuator" that is not making sense to me. As mentioned previously, I didn't closely follow the talk about the one watt amps in the past so this is somewhat new to me.
obviously you would be using it somehow, but it doesn't matter, it's a built-in safeguard...

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
obviously you would be using it somehow, but it doesn't matter, it's a built-in safeguard...
Not trying to hassle you, DOD, but that still doesn't sound solid. I'll try digging up some of the old thread and see what turns up. Thanks.

johan.b

Reaction score

In 0.1 watt mode, you can use the speaker out as line out to feed either a speaker directly or a line input to drive a big power amp and that way get the full amp sound, including the "power tube distortion" be it 12au7 and not EL34, at any level. Be it for rehearsals or filing arenas with sound. This is what people seem to miss about the 50 jubilee amps. They are great for use as preamps in a bigger rig.
j
edit..damn...i was trying to quote the post with the quote from M.o.M.....hmm..so you can't "double quote"?...oh well. .:hmm:

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
In 0.1 watt mode, you can use the speaker out as line out to feed either a speaker directly or a line input to drive a big power amp and that way get the full amp sound, including the "power tube distortion" be it 12au7 and not EL34, at any level. Be it for rehearsals or filing arenas with sound. This is what people seem to miss about the 50 jubilee amps. They are great for use as preamps in a bigger rig.
j
edit..damn...i was trying to quote the post with the quote from M.o.M.....hmm..so you can't "double quote"?...oh well. .:hmm:
I don't know who "M.o.M." is, but I think you are trying to reference one of my previous posts; if I'm wrong in my assumption, I apologize.

The idea I was initially posted was a hypothetical safety circuit that would essentially "lock" the amp in standby if no speaker load was attached. DoD posted that Marshall has already done this: JVM1 and DSL1 can be used individually without a speaker load attached and yet not suffer any damage to the amp. What I was (and am still researching) is how this would actually work if someone were to accidentally try playing either the JVM1 or DSL1 without a speaker load attached and not damage the amp. I tried reading up on the handbooks/owner's manuals, but I saw nothing that implied this kind of protection.

I know about the 0.1 watt mode, and the emulated line out functions, but that's not what I was discussing with DoD; it's the notion that the JVM1 and DSL1 can operate without a speaker load and still no damage would be suffered by the amp.

I liked what DoD mentioned about a false sense of security with my initial post, but I'd still like the idea of some kind of safety circuit that "locks" the amp in standby if no speaker load is detected in any manner (i.e. protection regardless of whether there is nothing plugged into the amp's speaker output, or whether a speaker lead is attached to the amp but not to a speaker cab; this would take some kind of advanced signal detection, but it's something I'd like to see in future Marshall amps, if even possible.