Whats All The Fuss About A Jubilee?

• Thread starter JLH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
Is the 2553 a 50 watt? The 100 watters even sound good at low volumes. I imagine the small ones sound even better.

Yep. It's switchable from 25/50 watts. I keep it in 25 watts, run it through a 4×12, and I can still play at bedroom levels. It's pushing the limits of that, as you'll hear it, throughout the house... but it won't wake anyone, unless they're in same room.

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
Yep. It's switchable from 25/50 watts. I keep it in 25 watts, run it through a 4×12, and I can still play at bedroom levels. It's pushing the limits of that, as you'll hear it, throughout the house... but it won't wake anyone, unless they're in same room.

I run mine in 50watt mode. I tried changing it to 100 because I have heard that it doesn't make that much difference in volume. The 100watt mode didn't sound right to me. I am wondering if the amp has to be dialed in differently for both wattage settings.

Reaction score
I run mine in 50watt mode. I tried changing it to 100 because I have heard that it doesn't make that much difference in volume. The 100watt mode didn't sound right to me. I am wondering if the amp has to be dialed in differently for both wattage settings.
I know that last time i had mine serviced the tech told me both low and high modes needed to be biased separately and that the high mode was "hotter".

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
I know that last time i had mine serviced the tech told me both low and high modes needed to be biased separately and that the high mode was "hotter".

I think I may have biased it in the 50w mode and not in the 100w. I will have to take a look and see what it looks like in both modes.

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
Ok, so that's interesting. Has to be biased in each mode? I mean, I guess it makes sense, but what a pain in the ass.

I could pull out my multimeter, and tube adapter. Though, I hate screwing with anything, that's "working." That's just something from the military, I picked up.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Guess I'll leave it alone, until it needs new tubes.

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
Ok, so that's interesting. Has to be biased in each mode? I mean, I guess it makes sense, but what a pain in the ass.

I could pull out my multimeter, and tube adapter. Though, I hate screwing with anything, that's "working." That's just something from the military, I picked up.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Guess I'll leave it alone, until it needs new tubes.

When I bought it the bias was completely wrong. One side was at 60mv and the other 82mv. The recommended range of operation on the amp is 60-80. I would think you would only need to bias it once. Any change you make would affect both modes. The only reason i am thinking about taking a look at it again is because I can't remember what mode it was in when I biased it. I am guessing the recommended way would be to just bias it in 100w mode.

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
When I bought it the bias was completely wrong. One side was at 60mv and the other 82mv. The recommended range of operation on the amp is 60-80. I would think you would only need to bias it once. Any change you make would affect both modes. The only reason i am thinking about taking a look at it again is because I can't remember what mode it was in when I biased it. I am guessing the recommended way would be to just bias it in 100w mode.

I would have to look at the circuit. I'm pretty sure I have the schematic.

I agree, bias would be done in the higher setting. I'm just not sure, if there's a variance, or exactly what circuit changes, are all going on. There's different loads on the circuit, and tubes being an organic type element, are going to react different.

So biasing twice? Maybe fine-tuning, would be appropriate.

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
I would have to look at the circuit. I'm pretty sure I have the schematic.

I agree, bias would be done in the higher setting. I'm just not sure, if there's a variance, or exactly what circuit changes, are all going on. There's different loads on the circuit, and tubes being an organic type element, are going to react different.

So biasing twice? Maybe fine-tuning, would be appropriate.

Fine tuning would probably be pretty accurate. I noticed that it is really hard to adjust the bias on my amp. Just barely moving it causes a large change.

Gourlay83

Reaction score
I have a 1987 2555 Silver Jubilee, and it's now my only amp. Take it to rehearsals, gigs and practice at home. I have other amps (and Marshalls) but I keep coming back to it - best Lead Guitar sound from any amp, really warm & open.

Couple of things I've found with it.

Master Volume has to be on 10, EQ is super responsive so spend some time getting it right and it's really a one channel amp - i have it set to lead channel all the time, and use volume knob on guitar for clean sounds.

It's not high gain like your DSL's etc, but if you add something like a Tube Screamer in the front it just rocks.

Alan

P.S it's also LOUD - like F*ckin LOUD. The OT is massive and weighs a tonne - keeping on stage volumes reasonable can be difficult...

El Gringo

Reaction score
I have a 1987 2555 Silver Jubilee, and it's now my only amp. Take it to rehearsals, gigs and practice at home. I have other amps (and Marshalls) but I keep coming back to it - best Lead Guitar sound from any amp, really warm & open.

Couple of things I've found with it.

Master Volume has to be on 10, EQ is super responsive so spend some time getting it right and it's really a one channel amp - i have it set to lead channel all the time, and use volume knob on guitar for clean sounds.

It's not high gain like your DSL's etc, but if you add something like a Tube Screamer in the front it just rocks.

Alan

P.S it's also LOUD - like F*ckin LOUD. The OT is massive and weighs a tonne - keeping on stage volumes reasonable can be difficult...
Best amp i have ever played

Obi Plexi-nobi

Reaction score
Alex Lifeson, Joe Bonamassa, John Frusciante, Slash (?), Who else?
I bought one of the final revision Jubilee 100-watt heads (4th year- black tolex?), and it sounds great- even with single-coils. Thought I found a steal of a deal on a Triple Super Lead & soon sold it for as cheap as I got it- Not even close to the sound of the Black Jubilee Final Revision. Thank you CraigsList!

kinleyd

Reaction score
Slash and Frusciante, the two blokes because of whom I went with the mini Jubilee. I wimped out on the Silver Jubilee just looking at the size and weight!

Last edited:

Axeologist

Reaction score
Wow... All the great guitarist that use or have used the Jubilee... did you notice that they all (I believe all) use the clean channel and crank it...

I have an original 2555 Silver Jubilee and I have learned that it sounds best this way and is incredibly versatile for a single channel... I have built a custom channel switch / looper that has an eq built in for the second channel and used it as a 2 channel amp with 2 independent eq's and gigged with it for a long time...

It sounds best with speakers that have a prominent high midrange but John Fruciante proves that it can sound great with g12-75's as well (mid scoop as you know)

Awesome amp with tons of ROCK history...

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
I don't know how much truth there is to it... I was once told the Jubilee was designed to be used with the Vintage 30s. Of course, that's what's in my Mesa and Marshall cabs. So it works out for me, if that's the case. I can't say if the guy was blowing smoke, or not. I don't know enough about Marshall history/design. I didn't tell him what cab I had, or what I used. We were just in a discussion about the head, and when he said that, I caught it... because it applied.