• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Whats the one amplifier ( or any piece of gear really) you want to kick yourself for giving up?

• Thread starter Clockworkmike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's see....

Mesa Rocket .44 combo (a very fine recording amp for blues and classic rock)

Orange Rockerverb RV50 Mk I (The Mk I had 6V6 power tubes, outstanding for recording solo work)

Beyerdynamic M160 ribbon mic (I now have a pair and you can't have them)

Kurzweil Mangler rack mount FX (I've replaced this as well, I'll never sell this one)

Blue Blueberry condenser mics, pair (wtf was I thinking, they're the best drum overhead mics I've used, not to mention KILLER for background vocals. I finally replaced them with a pair of old original Blueberries from the first run)

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I always had very good reasons to sell amps (well...mostly.) Mostly I'd make the same decisions again.

The exceptions are: My pair of silverface early 70s Fender Deluxes. My Mesa Mark IIA serial number 3114 or 3116. (Love to buy it back!) My Gibson Explorer (1984 Artist Original, ultra rare.) My Gibson ES-335TD. (1979.)

AMPPILOT

Reaction score
moneywise i screwed up in the long run ....1975 1/2 stack Master vol 50watt .i paid maybe 500.00 , I traded it for a nice like new big 70's Snap On roll cabinet and box probably worth a grand back then or way more . Still have the roll cab tool box . using it since the 80's I actually didn't like the sound of master volume amps , but it might be worth alot today to a collector than my snap on boxes . But I needed the snap on cabinets way worse at the time, and they earned me money ...LOl...They were worth double the amp in 1983.

giam23

Reaction score
I was recently discussing with a friend about horrible mistakes that people make in getting rid of certain gear, namely amplifiers but anything really. And i thought, " Hey there's a good general public question!" And so, I ask you fine folks: what's the one piece of gear you absolutely want to kick yourself in the ballbag over letting it go from your hands?

For me its really easy: I never got rid of a single guitar Ive ever owned but there were two amplifiers that I HATE myself for getting rid of and thats a JCM900 4500 Dual Reverb and an early Peavey 5150 head.

The Dual Reverb was a stupid mistake on my part over a bitter dispute with the guitar store I bought it from, many years ago. I bought the head and a 1960A Cab but the cabinet had to be ordered, while the head was off the floor. They "loaned" me this awful, 4x10 cabinet until mine came in and after a month of no good news, i sent the head back and got a refund. Ended up buying a JCM900 2500 SLX and a 1960A cab literally down the road at another store, but as time goes on, i really regret getting rid of it.

The 5150 was a case of me bailing out my uncle who was in need of cash and I planned on just kinda holding onto it until he paid me back. However, it turned out he was secretively battling a bad addiction and it became clear I wasn't going to be getting any money back. So I held onto it for a while and eventually, a buddy was really wanting an amp so i sold it to him at a pretty bad loss because I felt bad for him I guess. Unfortunately however, he ended up claiming someone broke into his house and robbed him, including the amp and some guitars he had. However, the "thieves" never took any money or guns he had: he finally admitted he pawned everything and made up a bullshit story because he was blowing money on some gold digger and literally didnt have enough money to eat. Should have just kept it and quit feeling sorry all the time, being a sucker

Marshall SL5, got it for an insane deal off some rich doctor who was using it as a PA, paid $400usd, sold it for $750usd, that was the perfect home amp, perfect marshall/ slash tone, v30, perfect volume but could be cranked a bit, now I really want another one but dont want to put $750 into a 5 watt 1x12

also miss a bc rich gunslinger retro with a JB and floyd rose special that i bought for $250usd and sold for $450usd, that wasnt that bad

Drinkingdeath01

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marshall SL5, got it for an insane deal off some rich doctor who was using it as a PA, paid $400usd, sold it for $750usd, that was the perfect home amp, perfect marshall/ slash tone, v30, perfect volume but could be cranked a bit, now I really want another one but dont want to put $750 into a 5 watt 1x12

also miss a bc rich gunslinger retro with a JB and floyd rose special that i bought for $250usd and sold for $450usd, that wasnt that bad
I too sold my beloved BC Rich gunslinger. Black with an EMG 89 and a rosewood fretboard. Sold it on ebay and the guy who won it lived about 20 miles away. Met at GC parking lot and turned out he's a collector. I lost his number years ago and I've been trying to track him down ever since.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
There’s been a few:
Ampeg V4, that thing was amazing!
Gibson SG62 reissue, got it around 1990 or so
BC Rich USA gunslinger with airbrushed wolf, I hear it’s in Germany now
Kramer Nightswan. Metal flake red, ebony board......

dro

Reaction score
My very first amp of my own. A Fender Bandmaster Reverb maybe a 1971 or 72. When I started gigging in a band in 78 I left it with my friend. Or who I thought was my friend. It ended up being traded away for dope. Would've been a nice addition in my studio. Se La Vie

Clockworkmike

Reaction score
These are all great stories of cool and unique gear. Hate that everyone lost something they loved at some point in time, but isnt that how something you loved often ends up going? I guess its not in vain if the gear finds a good home, but like many of these stories, including one of my own: they often wind up in the WORST hands imaginable

Marshall Boogie

Reaction score
JCM900 4100 DR....loved the amp....didn't love the hearing damage it caused(the tone would leave my ears ringing for days after playing it). Also had a damaged Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp....bought it as a damaged in shipping item off Reverb and fixed it, sold it off for a profit, but regret selling it.....should have kept it as it was actually more versatile than the Mark V I bought with the money(although I love the power section on the Mark V...with the power modes and different classes that power tubes play in....that is an underrated power section).

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
1)Marshall 2210 100w head
2)69' Marshall 1960 B cab with pre rola 25s and 30s
3)2004 USA Fender stratocaster with g&g case
4)Partscaster consisting of all Fender parts.......74 USA neck,custom shop pickups,greenguard and mij heavy reliced( by me)Olympic white body....resonated like no other strat I've played yet.
5)1979 25th anniversary strat
6)Marshall JCM 900 SL-X 2500
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Latest posts