What's this?? Deep Purple

• Thread starter Matchless
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
I'm glad there are some Deep Purple fans here, Hat's off to you Gents!

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
machine head is one of the best albums EVER!

i think this is my personal fav.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6x8GGXrCFQ]YouTube - DEEP PURPLE - LAZY - LIVE 1972 MACHINE HEAD TOUR[/ame]

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Machine Head really was a good album
but my favorites were In Rock and Fireball

coldsteal2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to see an Incredible Deep Purple check this out
full on movie quality

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4rAZJ4HG4Q&feature=related]YouTube - No No No - Deep Purple (01/09/1971)[/ame]

benjammin420

Reaction score
:dude:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yGVCYmkaCY&feature=related]YouTube - Deep Purple - Into the Fire HD ( 1971 TVshow ,Berlin )[/ame]

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
Blackmore was a freak. He always had this look on his face like "I'm going to be over here kicking ass, and you guys had better not fuck up". Cracks me up. He takes himself SOOOOO serious. I have a vid somewhere of him playing and he wouldn't come out on stage, so the band started without him. He finally comes out, all puckered up and troll faced, starts playing and firing dirty looks at everyone on stage,....and eventually picks up a glass of water and throws it at somebody.....practically has a meltdown on stage....then just starts rippin' like nothing ever happened.

I'll try to find it and post it.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
Here it is. He doesn't come out till time for the 1 st solo. It almost looks like Jon Lord is glad hes not there,...he seems to be really into it...like"Fuck him, I got this."

Song actually starts at about 3:45

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUr3M8W4OdA]YouTube - Highway Star - Deep Purple Come Hell Or High Water(1993)[/ame]

bloosman1

Reaction score
You guys wanna know what Ritchie used as a "distortion pedal" (bloosman1 looks back and forth sneakily).... Are you ready? He used a freekin' reel to reel tape deck (no tape) as a pre-amp... he hid it behind his amps.

---J---

benjammin420

Reaction score
You guys wanna know what Ritchie used as a "distortion pedal" (bloosman1 looks back and forth sneakily).... Are you ready? He used a freekin' reel to reel tape deck (no tape) as a pre-amp... he hid it behind his amps.

---J---

yup, you can see it pretty clearly in some old videos
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFH36je9Hro]YouTube - Rainbow Man On The Silver Mountain[/ame]

AKADave

Reaction score
My brother-in-law is a Ritchie Blackmoore fanatic and a phenom guitar player too. He told me that Ritchie also cut his speakers to get more fuzz out of them.

MajorNut1967

Reaction score

---J---

That was after 1972 that he used the Deck, previously he used the treble booster part of the Hornby Skews Zonk Machine. It was modded to have an output POT to give him some control and it was a Silicon transistor version.

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Blackmore was a freak. He always had this look on his face like "I'm going to be over here kicking ass, and you guys had better not fuck up". Cracks me up. He takes himself SOOOOO serious. I have a vid somewhere of him playing and he wouldn't come out on stage, so the band started without him. He finally comes out, all puckered up and troll faced, starts playing and firing dirty looks at everyone on stage,....and eventually picks up a glass of water and throws it at somebody.....practically has a meltdown on stage....then just starts rippin' like nothing ever happened.

I'll try to find it and post it.

Easy there big fella LOL!
Now Ritchie is moody and hard to get along with. And he is notorious for bad practical jokes. But Ritchie has influenced many modern guitar players and has been one of the most innovative players there is. You show me someone that can sit down with him on either Electric or acoustic and match him in playing with feeling and intensity and the ability to keep you glued to listening to him.

Let me ask you this, "If you were as great of a guitar player and Icon in the Rock world, how might you act?"

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
Easy there big fella LOL!
Now Ritchie is moody and hard to get along with. And he is notorious for bad practical jokes. But Ritchie has influenced many modern guitar players and has been one of the most innovative players there is. You show me someone that can sit down with him on either Electric or acoustic and match him in playing with feeling and intensity and the ability to keep you glued to listening to him.

Let me ask you this, "If you were as great of a guitar player and Icon in the Rock world, how might you act?"

Oh, believe me, I'm easy....lol Seriously, don't get me wrong..I have been a DP/Blackmore fan since I was a little kid. That music blew my mind when it came out and still does to this day. DP is one of my all time fav bands and I have covered MANY of their tunes in many bands over the years. Right now my band covers Hwy Star, Man on S Mountain, and Perfect Strangers....there is no doubt that RB is one of the biggest influences out there.

All I'm sayin' is the dude is a freak. To answer your question,...if I were the Icon he is I still wouldn't run around acting like a little spoiled brat....just not my nature,....actually the more I've achieved the more humble I've become. Moreover, I bet If he were a nobody, he'd still be the same way...Ian Gillian says Richie was a dick they day he met him among tons of other people.

.......but who cares,...he's still the man. I just think his temper tantrums are are kinda funny.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll say it. I am a Blackmore fan. My favorite album is Book of Taliesyn. Not a day goes by that I don't borrow from Ritchies work on that album. But had he spent half the time perfecting his ability to play flawlessly as did say Malmsteen, he too would be better respected for his arrogance. For Blackmore to play a sloppy solo like in the video posted by Les then throw the cup of water at a stage hand minimized his status as a guitar hero in my eyes and the eyes of many others that have viewed that incident and numbers of others incidents just like it. Great tone, great writing. Just can't pull it off sometimes. Seems that he suffers from Jimmy Page Syndrome at times. If this offends anyone I am sorry, but he should not play like a retard then act like it is someone else's fault.

LOL, it seems that his left hand doesn't know what his right hand is doing at times.

David

David C. Hopkins on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
I'll say it. I am a Blackmore fan. My favorite album is Book of Taliesyn. Not a day goes by that I don't borrow from Ritchies work on that album. But had he spent half the time perfecting his ability to play flawlessly as did say Malmsteen, he too would be better respected for his arrogance. For Blackmore to play a sloppy solo like in the video posted by Les then throw the cup of water at a stage hand minimized his status as a guitar hero in my eyes and the eyes of many others that have viewed that incident and numbers of others incidents just like it. Great tone, great writing. Just can't pull it off sometimes. Seems that he suffers from Jimmy Page Syndrome at times. If this offends anyone I am sorry, but he should not play like a retard then act like it is someone else's fault.

LOL, it seems that his left hand doesn't know what his right hand is doing at times.

David

David C. Hopkins on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

wow, well said,...couldn't agree more. This actually reminds me of a vid i saw one time,...it was one of those weird 60's videos where the band is playing live in front of some groovy, far out, psychodellic backgroung....anyway its highway star and the solo is horrific....ill see if i can find it.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
Man, I love You Tube.

I dont know if maybe Ian was on acid or just making up the words as he went, or both.

I also dont know if maybe Richie was on acid or just trying to witch a demon out of his strat,...or both.

Who knows, he may have been having a meltdown from just seeing Hendrix for the first time earlier that week?

Doesn't matter though, cuz the final result was a masterpiece.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRt3PIDER94&feature=fvw[/ame]

spacerocker

Reaction score
I always thought Blackmore was such a messy guitarist - more "showmanship" bollocks than virtuoso talent. Hendrix too to some extent, but he could carry it off, and was the original...

The Modern virtuosos like Via and Satriani really put these guys to shame!

guitarweasel

Reaction score
I always thought Blackmore was such a messy guitarist - more "showmanship" bollocks than virtuoso talent. Hendrix too to some extent, but he could carry it off, and was the original...

The Modern virtuosos like Via and Satriani really put these guys to shame!

But remember, it was people like Blackmore and Hendrix that opened the door and inspired people like Vai and Satch.

Latest posts