• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Which amp for home playing

• Thread starter Mika555
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Neptical

Reaction score
I'm sorry to say this but this demo doesn't sound good at all !
It sounds like a fly cought between a wiper blade and a windshield !
Don't know how Bonamassa got paid to do this but that's not a good one ,
maybe the recording wasn't properly done ,...who knows !

100% agree. That Bonamassa vid is actually what kept me from trying out Marshalls years ago. That's the EXACT sizzle that folks get skeeved out by, including me. Once I learned how to use my ears and not my eyes, Marshalls have become #1 for me. Also, I could do without any Treble knob on mine.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
It almost seems to me that the trend since the late 70s has been toward ever brighter sounding amps. And that is precisely why I love my older Marshalls the most. They're NOT ear piercing shrieking monstrosities. They have adequate top end and a warmer overall tone.

I share ONE thing in common with Ritchie Blackmore: "Don't use the presence control on a Marshall." Pretty much that's it. Certainly I can't play like him. I'd be unworthy to play rhythm for him. But his tone is never shrill.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say this but this demo doesn't sound good at all !
It sounds like a fly cought between a wiper blade and a windshield !
Don't know how Bonamassa got paid to do this but that's not a good one ,
maybe the recording wasn't properly done ,...who knows !
I was thinking the exact same thing!

junk notes

Reaction score
For that question, gun-to-the-head decision, would pick the SC because of the models it is based off of, and simply because it has a MV. Small, portable, and a big punch when needed for Marshall tones..

Adieu

Reaction score
I share ONE thing in common with Ritchie Blackmore: "Don't use the presence control on a Marshall." Pretty much that's it. Certainly I can't play like him. I'd be unworthy to play rhythm for him. But his tone is never shrill.

"Don't use" in what sense?

Always 0, always 10, or always noon?

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
since your willing to look at other amps for a bluesy tone..........

marshall doesnt have a answer for these amps.

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
"Home playing" is a bit vague. My house is surrounded by corn and soybean fields. Here, there are no noise ordinances outside of municipalities so I can play as loud as I want whenever I want. The only exception is when the wife asks me to turn down or off. Also, the nearest "neighbors" have the same rights so I try to keep it down between midnight and 8 a.m. so they don't keep me awake when I'm trying to sleep.

giblesp

Reaction score
JVM 205C or DSL 401 I'd say. Open back combs are great for warm, bluesy sounds IMO. Put a TS9 in front of the clean channel of the DSL, and you're good to go.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Vintage modern , 100 watter if you’re after maximum headroom .

Brewski

Reaction score
Hello guys. I've been searching for a tube amp (max 50watts) only for warm bluesy sounds.

Today i'm playing an valvestate 8080.distortion ist the boss od 200.

So i 'm looking for an amp for playing cleans.

I' ve testing the jcm 800 and the sv20.
The clean of the sv20 (channel 2) is very close to what i'm searching for. Very warm sounding....and better than the jcm 800 studio classic.

What about the origin 20 or 50?

I would like to have an amp with a master volume.

I don't need a good crunch amp, cleans are what i've been searching for. But he has to be sterile. I hate the dsl for an example. No sizzly sounding amp please.

I'm looking for other brands too.
Brands like victory amps.

And after founding the amp, wich cab could you advices to me...
I read so much positive about vintage 30 and creambacks or greenbacks.

Thanks a lot and scuse my englisch. ^^

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe iii.

Biggin900s

Reaction score
Joes a wonderful player but his tone on this vid sucks I just dont think alot of people know what a good sound or tone is let alone how to dial a pleasing sound in on any amp you can have the best tools but if you dont know how to operate them your screwed from the jump start

Brewski

Reaction score
No guys, not fender.
It's my fault, i have forgit to tell you.
I olay metal. Pantera, alcice and chains, and some othe hevy stuff in drop C.

For metal i have the od200.
But i have to go through a great bluesy amp for occasionely blusy things. And i love the el34's.
Not a fan of el 84 and some other fender sounds

missed this response - EVH 50w combo with a compressor, delay and it has its own reverb

Mark-E1966

Reaction score
Hi,
Depending on your budget have a look at Blackstar, something on the lines of the HT Club 40. It’ll give you most of the sounds you’d probably want. If you’ve got the money and willing to look worldwide a Marshall JMP 2104 MV50 combo is a killier amp. I’ve owned a couple over the years and again setting it up right is down to the individual, but I’ve played Funk, Country, Heavy Metal, Blues and all sorts through one. Have you considered buying an original Guvnor pedal made in England... not the later models as they just don’t cut it. Save on the amp and go that way. I have an original and it has every Marshall tone under the sun in it!!

Earl L Branham

Reaction score
Hello guys. I've been searching for a tube amp (max 50watts) only for warm bluesy sounds.

Today i'm playing an valvestate 8080.distortion ist the boss od 200.

So i 'm looking for an amp for playing cleans.

I' ve testing the jcm 800 and the sv20.
The clean of the sv20 (channel 2) is very close to what i'm searching for. Very warm sounding....and better than the jcm 800 studio classic.

What about the origin 20 or 50?

I would like to have an amp with a master volume.

I don't need a good crunch amp, cleans are what i've been searching for. But he has to be sterile. I hate the dsl for an example. No sizzly sounding amp please.

I'm looking for other brands too.
Brands like victory amps.

And after founding the amp, wich cab could you advices to me...
I read so much positive about vintage 30 and creambacks or greenbacks.

Thanks a lot and scuse my englisch. ^^

I have a Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb 100 watt 4100 series, and a Marshall TSL60 (JCM2000 60watt) . The TSL60 is what I use mainly because I'm just at home in my home studio environment. Even at low volumes the 3 separate channels (Clean, Lead and Crunch) deliver a lot of sounds that I enjoy! I use Clean mainly with just a little gain to give me that slight "muddy" feel of vintage eras. Love it! So i'd suggest either a TSL60 or TSL601 Combo amp if you can find one! Both I believe would satisfy what you're looking for in a Marshall Tube Amp.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
since your willing to look at other amps for a bluesy tone..........

marshall doesnt have a answer for these amps.

There's really no doubt that Mesa has the broadest amp range in the business. They cover pretty much all the bases, except for two:

They don't make budget/student/starter amps. Last I checked, the lowest list price for any Mesa is around 1300 dollars. But every amp they make is high quality.
They don't currently have an amp that would be a drop-in replacement for a vintage 50 or 100 watt Marshall.

I've owned more Mesas than any other brand but my Marshall collection is starting to challenge it.