• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Which amp for home playing

• Thread starter Mika555
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
i think exactly the same. i ever love, and that's the reason i play marshall, marshall's cleans; but the overdrive could be not the same.

very interesting

No DSL is not an option and the jvm sounds good..but paying up to 1200€ for only using clean is not an option. but thanks.

Would you say that the Origin is closer to the SV20 or the SC20 in terms of clean sounds?
I am going to say that it is closer to the SV20.
Cheers

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
When you add gain in a clipping circuit, you add higher harmonic content and that has to be carefully filtered to keep the amp from becoming an instrument of aural destruction. And that in my opinion is where the higher gain Marshalls have a problem. They don't have those harmonics well filtered which is what makes them sound harsh and buzzy to me.

At least that's what my ears are saying.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
The Origin 50H starts to break up at about 3 on the dial, but in full power that is quite loud, and if the boost is not being used you can go to just before 5.
And as Pedecamp says your pedal board will bring you all your different tones you need.
Cheers to your decision.
Mitch

Mika555

Reaction score
The Origin 20C has a 10" loudspeaker....
If I buy a origin 20H I will buy a speaker cab with 12".
Wich one would you couple with an origin 20H?

Same question with the sv20H

Sean Christie

Reaction score

Marshall makes an Origin 2x12 and 4x12 as well as a Studio Vintage 1x12 & 2x12 extension cab to match each. Both the amps and matching cabs are sort of in two different ballparks price wise (and some would argue maybe tone wise). The Studio Vintage is UK made and will likely stand the test of time, and will have superior tone but with the heftier price tag. The Origin is also a nice amp, that’s vintage voiced. Both should do what you’re looking for.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
[QUOTE="ThingFish, post: 203765 ...but I *am* curious how Andy Summers got his early clean tone with E Mistress when I can clearly see the Marshall head live. Some holy grail vintage model?
A lot of people only use Marshall heads / stacks out front, some are not even real. Lot's of clean tones come from amps backstage, Fender, Carvin, Ampeg, Mesa etc., even from some pretty hard rock outfits. Never listen with your eyes. Now-a-days you see a lot of fake amp stacks, some are just a wood frame with cloth draped over to look like speaker cabs.[/QUOTE]
Very true , in Metallica’s camp Roland Chorus 120.

lonewolfsx

Reaction score

I definitely second the idea of going with a 12" cab and head setup over a 10" speaker. I've never gotten along with 10" speakers and the way I see it, 99% of our favorite famous Marshall recordings used 12" speakers so why use anything different.

For warm bluesy sounds like you mentioned, and speaking of current production speakers, it's easy - get a Celestion G12-65. It's the thickest, warmest sounding speaker they make in my opinion and it's killer with any classic sounding Marshall amp and helps tame some of the brightness without stifling it. Perfect from low volume playing all the way up to loud and mic'd. I have no idea if there are any cabs that have that speaker stock but if you know how to turn a screwdriver, just buy an empty 1x12 cab shell and the speaker separately and stick it in there. There are also places that will build you a 1x12 with the speaker of your choice and that's an option too.

If you can't find / don't like that speaker, my next choice would be a G12H with the 55hz cone.

Third choice I guess a G12M-65 Creamback but that speaker is hit and miss in my experience, much like a V30, they both love certain amps and sound like ear piercing garbage with others.

lonewolfsx

Reaction score
What could I expect between vintage 30 and G12-65?

Huge difference between those two. I have both here behind me.

The V30 has deeper bass so probably better for downtuning if you do that, but it also has a bit of a spike in the high mids and it can be piercing depending on the amp/room etc., but really it's just a great all rounder because it does so much. That's why it gets used in so many combo amps and such, it covers a lot of ground from deep bass heavy metal to bright cleans.

The G12-65 isn't as deep in the bass, but the treble is cut a bit so it's a very thick sounding speaker and can be used to accentuate the "growl" in overdriven chords for example. It's not as sparkly as a G12M (greenback, creamback, etc) or as bright as an H magnet speaker (G12H30, G12H75, etc). I really love it for standard tuning or E flat and just laying down super thick lead tones which is why I thought you might like it for bluesy tones. You can turn up the treble on your amp to compensate for the speaker being weighted more towards the lows and get some really cool tones out of it.

trax1139

Reaction score
070EC563-604B-4805-835B-E1022ABE5B24.jpeg JTM45 is what you describe.
1 or preferably 2 4x12 1960 cabs. No pedals...turn it up and use guitar’s volume.

RCM 800

Reaction score
I have an orange 1x12 with a vintage 30 and a homemade cab with a vintage 30 thats open backed. I like the way they sound with my origin 20h's. If I only take one to a show I take the open back.

Mika555

Reaction score
I have an orange 1x12 with a vintage 30 and a homemade cab with a vintage 30 thats open backed. I like the way they sound with my origin 20h's. If I only take one to a show I take the open back.
Interesting.
Thanks.

Mika555

Reaction score
Huge difference between those two. I have both here behind me.

The V30 has deeper bass so probably better for downtuning if you do that, but it also has a bit of a spike in the high mids and it can be piercing depending on the amp/room etc., but really it's just a great all rounder because it does so much. That's why it gets used in so many combo amps and such, it covers a lot of ground from deep bass heavy metal to bright cleans.

The G12-65 isn't as deep in the bass, but the treble is cut a bit so it's a very thick sounding speaker and can be used to accentuate the "growl" in overdriven chords for example. It's not as sparkly as a G12M (greenback, creamback, etc) or as bright as an H magnet speaker (G12H30, G12H75, etc). I really love it for standard tuning or E flat and just laying down super thick lead tones which is why I thought you might like it for bluesy tones. You can turn up the treble on your amp to compensate for the speaker being weighted more towards the lows and get some really cool tones out of it.
Very interesting.
I have 2 cabs 1960 AV & 1960BV (v30's).
They sound big in comparison of the standard 1960. Open sounding and nice not ice picky highs.
I was interesting for testing some other speakers that could suits aggressive metal playing, solos, and good blues sounds.

I know we can do every style with every cabs but I was searching (if this exist) the good compromise between modern and bluesy vintage tones.

For info:
I play modern metal but not as much with modern sound.
It's more open sounding old 90's zakk wylde tones in drop C tuning. (not these modern engl powerball or rectifier tones for metal... I hate this)

RCM 800

Reaction score
Very interesting.
I have 2 cabs 1960 AV & 1960BV (v30's).
They sound big in comparison of the standard 1960. Open sounding and nice not ice picky highs.
I was interesting for testing some other speakers that could suits aggressive metal playing, solos, and good blues sounds.

I know we can do every style with every cabs but I was searching (if this exist) the good compromise between modern and bluesy vintage tones.

For info:
I play modern metal but not as much with modern sound.
It's more open sounding old 90's zakk wylde tones in drop C tuning. (not these modern engl powerball or rectifier tones for metal... I hate this)
I have a 1960BV also but very rarely have an opportunity to use it. Dont play much metal anymore but the BV was perfect for it and classic rock and blues. My whole band has downsized due to being old and half deaf lol. Drummer is on a pocket set and the bass is a 1x12 combo so the origin20 is perfect for this setup. Havent needed to yet but I have mics for everything but the bass but it has a nice DI out.

Latest posts