Which Is Better - SC20 Or SV20?

• Thread starter colchar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which amp do you prefer?

• SC20

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • SV20

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • I honestly cannot decide

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters

Kolanti

Reaction score
I have the sc20h and my brother the sv20h. Both sound as they should be BUT I will always prefer the 800 to a plexi and that is also true for the 20w versions. The 800 is way more versatile and you can really make it a bedroom amp if you want with the master volume. The mini plexi its either anemic clean or balls to the wall no middle ground.

Sustainium

Reaction score
:slash: I’ve got both on a switcher and the 800 gets more use,
but still enjoy the 4 hole amp as they are so different.

niazmet

Reaction score
The video below shows generally that a marshall that has the JCM800 logo on the front is lesss spanky, "mode modern". I'm told the difference between the super leads non-mv aka what people call "The plexi" and the JCM800 2203/2204 internally are the value of capacitors, the way the feedback gain works and a couple of resistors with different values.
That would explain why I always thought (correctly) that no matter how cranked a non master volume marshall is, it has less gain than a marshall with master volume generally speaking the 2203/2204.
JTM45, Studio Vintage, 1959, 1987 they all have differences but the main point is they don't have as much gain as the standard master volume circuit, because the value of capacitors and a small change in gain structure was performed when they released the master volume series.

Please just don't play any marshall with a single coil it sounds awful lol