• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

which plexi?

• Thread starter kevinredSG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kevinredSG

Reaction score
i am debating to get a 1987x or a 1959SLP, which is better for leads? i play music along the lines of AC/DC so i would like that kind of tone, which do you think would give me a better lead tone? and i dont plan on modding one if i get either one.....suggestions?

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
It all depends on how much clean headroom you need, as the 50w will break up faster. Really, unless you are playing stadiums or outdoor venue's, you'd likely be best off with the 1987x.

Not to throw you off too much, but have you considered the Vintage Modern as well? It's an absolutely wonderful amp if you are mainly playing hard rock like AC/DC ... one of the best amps Marshall has made in decades.

Riffraff

Reaction score
I sold my 1959SLP once I got my 2266VM. The 100W Plexi is a great amp but crazy loud. You will also have to invest in a attenuator and a good OD pedal to get the most from it. With my Vintage Modern I can plug straight in and I'm there.

guitarweasel

Reaction score
Being an old guy, I've been using Marshalls since the late 60's, I prefer the 1987 50 Watters, I think they just sound better..........especially when you use a couple of them at a time.:dude:

Vintager12

Reaction score
I like more the 1959SLP, but that's personal. But as Riffraff said, go for a VM, VM's are not so loud and you don't need a Dist. or EQ pedal.

janarn

Reaction score
Remember that the 1987x is a RI of a '72 1987, not a 50w Plexi.
It has much more gain than the Plexi.

kevinredSG

Reaction score
i have considered the vintage modern, i dont know, i would be a lot easier if i was actually able to try the '87x or '59SLP out but i dont really use much gain or distortion just enough to get the lead through ya know

danielNoble

Reaction score
i was gonna get a 1987X reissue myself, it sounded really good..

not sure about the 1959 plexi ri though

Vintager12

Reaction score
i have considered the vintage modern, i dont know, i would be a lot easier if i was actually able to try the '87x or '59SLP out but i dont really use much gain or distortion just enough to get the lead through ya know

A VM isn't a high gain amp. Even better, a VM is a modded Plexi. and what does everyone want ?...? A plexi.

janarn

Reaction score
A VM is not a modded Plexi. It's a completly new construction from Marshall.
But they have taken the vintage idea into their VM, and that's a good idea.

Most people would think of the JMP or perhaps the JTM reverse logo amps
when you say an amp is a Plexi. And that will be the sound of EL34 tubes.
The Plexi area was '65 - mid '69, and only the first amps in that period
had the KT66 output tubes.
The KT66 tubes were typically JTM-45 tubes for a period, the upgrade
to 50w was with the EL34 tubes.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
A VM is not a modded Plexi. It's a completly new construction from Marshall.
But they have taken the vintage idea into their VM, and that's a good idea.

Most people would think of the JMP or perhaps the JTM reverse logo amps
when you say an amp is a Plexi. And that will be the sound of EL34 tubes.
The Plexi area was '65 - mid '69, and only the first amps in that period
had the KT66 output tubes.
The KT66 tubes were typically JTM-45 tubes for a period, the upgrade
to 50w was with the EL34 tubes.

Here's a very basic description of the VM from Steve Dawson - the guy who designed the amp:

"The Vintage Modern is basically a JTM45 with some hot rodding. For a JTM 45 tone select the low dynamic range, master volume on full, mid boost out, Detail at 2 -4 o'clock. Body at 1 - 3 o'clock and then dime the tones. This should be very close.

The vintage Modern is essentially a Plexi with some bells and whistles. Its foundation is the 'JTM 45 Super 100's' as championed by Hendrix, Clapton in Cream and several others." -SteveD

So yes, while you are technically right in saying it's not a "modded plexi", there is very little denying that the foundation of the amp in fact is. Don't mean to call you out, but I thought in fairness that someone who may be interested in purchasing the amp might want to hear the opinion of the guy who actually designed it.

janarn

Reaction score
I can quote many things from the Marshall site and from all their catalogues
that is wrong information.
Marshall put out information to sell amps, not to give you or me correct
information about their amps.

Like their 1987x "the 50w Plexi RI". That's not a Plexi RI,
it's a Metalface 1972 model 1987 RI, with much more gain than a Plexi.

The name Plexi will sell amps.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I can quote many things from the Marshall site and from all their catalogues
that is wrong information.
Marshall put out information to sell amps, not to give you or me correct
information about their amps.

Like their 1987x "the 50w Plexi RI". That's not a Plexi RI,
it's a Metalface 1972 model 1987 RI, with much more gain than a Plexi.

The name Plexi will sell amps.

Oh, may I ask what role you had in the design of the VM?

That isn't from the Marshall site, nor is it taken from a catalogue ... rather, it's a direct quote from Steve Dawson, the gentleman who actually designed the amp. If you go to the Vintage Modern forum, you can ask him yourself directly ... he's on there daily, so you can be certain of a response. Granted, it's not the response you're going to want to hear, but you'll get one never the less ... and it will be accurate.

This might be a good candidate for the myth v. reality section.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Oh, I will say you are right about it being it's own amp though ... the VM isn't suppose to be a " true modded plexi", but rather it's own amp ... so yes, you are right on that. Never the less, it's "foundation" is that of a modded plexi (damn, now I'm confusing myself haha).

janarn

Reaction score
OK. Let me put it this way. There was never a 50w Plexi model with ss rectifier,
KT66 output tubes, four preamp tubes and steel chassis.
So what modded Plexi model is the VM 50w?

Vintager12

Reaction score
It all depends on how much clean headroom you need, as the 50w will break up faster. Really, unless you are playing stadiums or outdoor venue's, you'd likely be best off with the 1987x.

Not to throw you off too much, but have you considered the Vintage Modern as well? It's an absolutely wonderful amp if you are mainly playing hard rock like AC/DC ... one of the best amps Marshall has made in decades.

+1 about the VM !

janarn

Reaction score
Oh, may I ask what role you had in the design of the VM?

That isn't from the Marshall site, nor is it taken from a catalogue ... rather, it's a direct quote from Steve Dawson, the gentleman who actually designed the amp. If you go to the Vintage Modern forum, you can ask him yourself directly ... he's on there daily, so you can be certain of a response. Granted, it's not the response you're going to want to hear, but you'll get one never the less ... and it will be accurate.

This might be a good candidate for the myth v. reality section.
The reality is that every "all valve" Marshall since they started in '62 is based
on almost the same curciut. And that was based on the '59 Bassman cuciut.

Even the JVM uses the Plexi preamp and poweramp construction, if you
use channel 1. Is it then a modded Plexi with whistles and bells?

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to respond to two quotes at once so this just applies to both responses above ...

Anyway, I thought my last response above about you being correct in that the VM is in fact it's own amp clarified what I meant. So yes, technically speaking you are right in that the VM is not a "modded plexi". My main point above was more in line with a description of what to anticipate from the amp in terms of performance. The fellow who started the thread was asking about two amps (1959/1987) that are in the "plexi" family, so based on the music he mentioned (AC/DC), I thought he might have an interest in the VM as well, since it's basically a "modded plexi" (um, even though it's technically not).

Perhaps I would have been more clear had I said the VM is in the "modded plexi family".

Make sense? :hmm:

janarn

Reaction score
I don't know how to respond to two quotes at once so this just applies to both responses above ...

Anyway, I thought my last response above about you being correct in that the VM is in fact it's own amp clarified what I meant. So yes, technically speaking you are right in that the VM is not a "modded plexi". My main point above was more in line with a description of what to anticipate from the amp in terms of performance. The fellow who started the thread was asking about two amps (1959/1987) that are in the "plexi" family, so based on the music he mentioned (AC/DC), I thought he might have an interest in the VM as well, since it's basically a "modded plexi" (um, even though it's technically not).

Perhaps I would have been more clear had I said the VM is in the "modded plexi family".

Make sense? :hmm:
Makes some sense, but the Plexi family is big. JMP/JCM800 2203 and 2204 is
closer in that family. Same circuit, just cascading the preamp and put in
a mastervolum. Just minimal differences in parts and values.
The mod with cascading and mastervolum was done to many
NMV Marshalls before the 2203 and 2204 was launched.
Like Blackmore's Majors.

I think the VM is a new constuction, based on Marshall tradition,
and that has the vintage sound of the Plexies as an important
part of the amp. And that's OK isn't it?

Latest posts