Who likes the Gibson Les Paul?

• Thread starter MilitaryNurse
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tele52

Reaction score
Hi Tele52,
Thanks for the tips: wise observations - based on experience too.

Right now I have to fight the temptation to try an Epi LP.
Have to keep telling myself: "For pity's sake just save up the extra $300 and get the real thing!"

Last week I missed the chance to get a beat-up 80s Flying V at auction. Don't know whether I saved myself from expense and disappointment or missed a golden opportunity.

Conclusion: It's best to know the market well and know what you're doing and why.
I'd save the extra $300.00, I did the Epi route, put in Duncans, better electronics, and it sounded nice, but fell short. However I bought a Ibanez SZ720FM, it was a fine guitar, carved maple top, thick mahogany body. I put duncans in that and that was a great guitar. These are my very limited experiances with Epi's but i see in the ads that several Les Paul models actually use differant woods. Alders, veneers, so that is going to take away from the "Les Paul tone" Look for a priced right studio.

^AXE^

Reaction score
Here's one of mine.
IMG_1569.jpg

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
longfxukxnhair-albums-guitars-picture1530-my-cooper-top-studio.jpg
[/IMG]

longfxukxnhair-albums-guitars-picture1531-gibson-slash-lp-dark-tobacco-burst.jpg
[/IMG]

longfxukxnhair-albums-guitars-picture1532-gibson-lp-gt.jpeg
[/IMG]

Her are 3 of my Les Pauls. The first one is a copper top studio. The second a Slash LP dark tobacco burst with the Fishmen bridge. The third is a LP GT.

Last edited:

D.Dailey

Reaction score
The Beer Tent Capital of the World (Muskegon , Mic
1 Eppi LP Custom w/Duncans.JB/59 :naughty:
1 Gibson LP 1960 Classic w/Duncans.Antiquity PAF's:naughty:
1 Fender AM Standard 1996 w/EMG's. DG-20 Pro Set :naughty:
1 Fender Tele 1973 w/Duncan Mini JB at the bridge Std Lipstick neck..:naughty:
A set of vids I allways found interesting.. :hmm:
Watch all five,, its enlightning..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fG4JCerIuE&feature=related]YouTube - Led Zeppelin - Lost Performances (1/5)[/ame]

JohnH

Reaction score
'Les Paul'? Whats that? Did I miss something?

John

ps - I went to an auction of vintage guitars. THe lady running it was a sharp and astute auctioneer, but didnt know diddly-squat about guitars. She pronounced them as in French 'Lay Paul'!! and this applied to a rather nice '58 Junior'and a '68 Standard!

Webslinger

Reaction score
longfxukxnhair-albums-guitars-picture1531-gibson-slash-lp-dark-tobacco-burst.jpg
[/IMG]

The second a Slash LP dark tobacco burst with the Fishmen bridge.

How does that Fishman bridge work out? Is it a convincing acoustic sound?
Is it any better than playing the regular pickups through an acoustic-simulator pedal. (I have a Boss and a Zoom, both close.. but not quite)

slowhand

Reaction score
anyone played one of these or seen one?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP0o2T_dNFU&feature=related]YouTube - Neal Schon and his new Les Paul[/ame]

if someone already addressed this, oh well I didn't want to scan all the pages.

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
How does that Fishman bridge work out? Is it a convincing acoustic sound?
Is it any better than playing the regular pickups through an acoustic-simulator pedal. (I have a Boss and a Zoom, both close.. but not quite)

Its ok. If you buy this guitar thinking you are going to get a true acoustic sound you will be disappointed. You can get some nice tone out of the pick up. I had the Boss pedal for about 2 weeks and I got rid of it. Same thing. Just not a spot on sound. Bottm line is I have never been able to get an electric to sound like an acoustic.

emko

Reaction score
I love the LP's. But then again i love my Ibanez RG's too. I've always been an ibanez man, but when i finally got my first LP, i was hooked. My current LP, is Gibson Zakk Wylde Camo, which as far as i'm concerned is the best guitar i have ever played in terms of playability and sound. I think i just need to buy an amp to match its integrity. Kind of looking out for a JCM800/900 or something, since i love the 80's rock/metal tone.
The way i see it is... My Les Paul is kind of like a big rumbling V8 with plenty of low end deep grunt behind it. Where as the ibanez, are kind of like a smaller 4/6 cylinder turbo engine with light but sharp warp speed playability.

But in short yes, i love the LPs'!

00jett

Reaction score
Its ok. If you buy this guitar thinking you are going to get a true acoustic sound you will be disappointed. You can get some nice tone out of the pick up. I had the Boss pedal for about 2 weeks and I got rid of it. Same thing. Just not a spot on sound. Bottm line is I have never been able to get an electric to sound like an acoustic.

I had a fishman powerbridge on my les paul for a while. I found that if i added an acoustic preamp with a little reverb, some eq, and then direct into the PA it made it alot more convincing. I actually did manage to fool some ppl enough for them to ask if we had tracked acoustic parts. To me it still didnt sound like a taylor or something like that but it did a better job than someone who walks in with a $150 walmart acoustic guitar... I only took it off my les paul due to lack of use later.

57 Stratman

Reaction score
I picked up a brand new Gibson LP Traditional (USA) this past spring as a gift for me cause I love me and I deserve it. Till then I played my 57 reissue strat (USA)religiously and now play the LP more as I'm trying to get used to the neck. Yes, I've had my cake and now I'm eating it too. Cause I derserve it. So does everyone else. Dig in.

Attachments

• Stew's Dec 2009 028.jpg
    Stew's Dec 2009 028.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Tim A

Reaction score
I can't stand Les Pauls - that's why I only have 8. :)

Landshark

Reaction score

I used my Schecter S-1 Elite with a boss acoustic simulator... I used it rather then my studio because I had read somewhere (where I read it isn't coming to me) that acoustic simulators work better with coil taps engaged (EDIT: or single coils). I tried it and I got really close to the sound of a good acoustic... That's the closest I've come to finding a good tone via acoustic simulator.

Now that I think about it, I think I might have seen that on that video with Slash's tech that was posted on this forum a few months ago...:slash:

Ken

Reaction score
My main guitar is my LP Standard I bought new in 1977 for $350. It's a player; over the years I put on a brass bridge, Seymor Duncan and Dimarzio pickups, replaced the jack plate and recently did the "Jimmy Page" wiring when a pot went bad. So not exactly original for the collectors but it's a tool, not a showpiece.

That being said, I love the nicer PRS guitars and the late 70's Mockingbirds as well. Right now I'm looking for a 70's Ibanaz Moderne knockoff; I can't afford the Gibson reissues but I have a hunch the Ibanaz aren't cheap either.

Ken