• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Who likes the Gibson Les Paul?

• Thread starter MilitaryNurse
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

psphill27

Reaction score
I just played one of the new 2008 standards last month. Looked really nice and was light, but I didn't like the tone as much as my 2000 model which is heavy as lead. I'm not saying it sounded bad, but I like the sound of the denser wood better. Just my opinion.

Webslinger

Reaction score
I don't know what's wrong with Gibson. Did they not learn a lesson with Norlin?

Why are the Norlin-era guitars so disliked?
Ok, I understand that many US products from he 1970s were not made as well as earlier or later vintages...this goes for almost everything. But are Norlin models all that bad?

As far as Pauls go, I know for some of them they used stacks of body slabs (pancake-design) instead of just a body & cap. Maybe this wasnt good for sustain, but they also redesigned the neck & volute...but that was actually for a stronger fit, was it not?

I've never played or handled a 50's LesPaul so I cant personally compare my 70's LPC one, but to me it seems to be crafted just as well & solid as any post-Norlins (1985+ maybe?) I've seen alot of Pauls in stores from the late 80s through today, with fit & finish problems that definatley should have been caught by QC before they left the factory.

The only complaint I have with mine is that I could never get the action as low & fast as you'd expect from a Custom. Other than that it's great?

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had several Norlins and I liked every one of them, especially a 1979 Custom that was unreal it was so nice. They weren't necessarily bad guitars, but looking back, there were several bad business decisions that probably did more to hurt Les Paul sales than to help. IMHO, the asymmetrical necks, chambering and two-piece backs from today sound like they are right out of the Norlin playbook. Having to buy a Les Paul Traditional to get a Les Paul Standard makes about as much sense to me as New Coke did 25 years ago.

Webslinger

Reaction score
looking back, there were several bad business decisions that probably did more to hurt Les Paul sales than to help.

I just read online somewhere, that back in the 70's, Norlin (through the Selmer company of Europe) as a marketing strategy would "lend" instruments to bands (famous or not) for advertising purposes.
When the instrments were returned, they were in certrain degrees of use & abuse, some not immediately visable. It seems that there were over 1000 LesPauls in a warehouse in England that the Gibson factory refused to accept back.

I can imagine that Norlin may have done the same thing in the US through Chicago Musical Instruments Co. I would hazard to guess that CMI & Selmer werent about to deystroy & write-off all that stock. It's possible they repaired/refurbished these insrurments and they got back out into circulation.
When problems later arose and local repair luthiers examined these under store-warranties, they found what they thought was poor factory workmanship?
This could be one reason for the bad rep?

dmnall

Reaction score
I love Gibson Les Pauls and I just bought my first Les Paul yesterday *Saturday* off a guy in Ventura that had 2 of them up on Craigslist.. I originally went down to look at his Mahogany Studio but he really wanted a little more then what I wanted to pay for it for having a chunk out of the headstock but he had an Arctic White with gold h/w studio for a bit more *550 for the Mahogany and 900 for the Arctic White* but the white one had the 5th fret inlay starting to come out *it needs to be re-glued* which I did manage to talk down to $ 600 for it with a gibson hardshell case! I have it down at Instrumental Music waiting for my old Math Teacher from HS to do the repair job for $ 30!

Here is a couple of shots of my new baby!

GibsonLPS.jpg

GibsonLPSNeck.jpg

GibsonLPSHeadstock.jpg

Enjoy,
Charlie

Unknown3

Reaction score
These are just too pricey here in Sweden. I think an LP Custom goes for at least 2,500 USD in Sweden. They go up to like, thrice that amount and more. Kind of sick. I'd love a Black Beauty or something to the effect.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I just read online somewhere, that back in the 70's, Norlin (through the Selmer company of Europe) as a marketing strategy would "lend" instruments to bands (famous or not) for advertising purposes.

I remember those bands! We had one come to my high school back around 1979-1980. This was in a town of maybe 1,500 people, so it was a real novelty to have an actual band in town, even if they were unheard of. I remember both guitarists playing a Sonex. It was like an hour-long advertisement for Norlin products.

wullie

Reaction score
I have an 82 Standard that is all beat up and I love it, I bought it on ebay and struck gold, it is a player not a display item. I gig my gear regularly and am not too gentle after a long night. I put WCR Moore/Greene pups in it and it sounds and plays great.

PeterC

Reaction score
I'm new here so I'll make my first post a pic of my les paul. The missus got it me for xmas and it's awesome.

goldy_1.jpg

goldy_3.jpg

Vintager12

Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that the guy on the right likes Les Pauls.

4yhko4g.jpg

That GUY on the right is les paul . He is the daddy of les paul guitars . Its all his idea...
But its a nice joke !

AND I LOVE LES PAULS :headbanger:

tim warner

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out the "dirt" on my 1995 Jimmy Page Les Paul.
Some people say that by 1997 they changed everything to make them cheaper(not to sell cheaper though) and Jimmy Page got pissed off and cancelled his deal with them, but when you ask a Gibson rep, THEY DON'T KNOW NOTHIN . Just like Sgt Schultz.

Things that make you go ,hmmmm

cadaver_occulta

Reaction score
I'm new here so I'll make my first post a pic of my les paul. The missus got it me for xmas and it's awesome.

goldy_1.jpg

goldy_3.jpg

That is FREEKIN GORGEOUS!!!:shock: One question tho. Where could I score a pickguard like that?, One like that would look sexy on mine (although mine isn't a Gibson...it's a Jay Turser:(....But it plays great anyway:rock: )

Vintager12

Reaction score
Maybe you better ask who dont likes the Gibson les paul, But then you dont get any reply's

stax

VIP Member
Reaction score
That GUY on the right is les paul . He is the daddy of les paul guitars . Its all his idea...

Ted McCarty is responsable for the Les Paul, they put Les' name on it for endorsement as Les was the biggest guitarist of the day. Les wanted a solid maple guitar and didn't like the shape or the gold paint, but the money was to good to pass. Ted convinced Les that a maple cap would be better, Ted invented the ABR and more.

Les Paul's have been weight relieved since the early 80's (chambering is new as of the last couple of years), several holes are cut around the mahogany back, know as swiss cheese, this has been know since the 80's.

I also bought my first new Les Paul in 1981, at cost from a relative that owned a music shop and it was a bit more than $500 ($500 was what a Strat sold for at the time).

Stop spinning yarn guys!:)

Webslinger

Reaction score
Stop spinning yarn guys!:)

There’s a lot of different strings to this ball of yarn…..Well the way I heard it, your both right.
What I’ve read was, yes, Les Paul’s original design was not the guitar we see today. He wanted more of a larger-bodied “jazz guitar” like the old Gibson L series except with a solid center beam that the neck would be set-into and the sides would be hollow. His prototype was a very similar Epihone Archtop which he cut up to become the famous “Log” guitar
(I assume we are all familiar with). The Gibson company originally rejected this idea, but a short time later he was called back by the new president of Gibson, Ted McCarty and given another chance. I not sure if Ted actually invented anything personally, or was just involved in the R&D of some very sucessfull innovations. But in any case, he was an intuitive coordinator who put the right people on the right projects. Ted was leaning toward the slab-design being used by Leo Fender. Niether Les nor the brass at Gibson wanted that. I think the compromise was a slab cut into the shape of a traditional guitar, but 2/3 size with a top-cap, and that’s what we have today. (with the exception of 61-68 when Gibson put the LesPaul name on the SG model...I heard that Les HATED that!)

Who knows for sure, but that seems plausible??

ptate

Reaction score
Me.

My babies:

Custom Shop Custom (Randy Rhoads fanatic)
1970 Cherry Sunburst Deluxe with case tags, price list, catalogue etc.
1970 Deluxe Goldtop

Oh, and some Marshalls......... 2204 (80's), AVT150 Tribute and 1952 Chicago Music Corp Amp (rehomed in a bluesbreaker style cab I built).

LesPaulFadedPics.jpg

wareagle

Reaction score
i REALLY want a white custom! if you find it stolen...dont look at me.

les pauls have such a full rich tone.

ptate

Reaction score
Hey Wareagle,

Dig the blue Plus Top and Super Lead.....Unusual

I've had Original Epiphone Les Pauls (bolt on neck), through to their custom plus models. In addition, A beautiful Gibson Les Paul Faded 50 (just sold) and the ones above; BUT none of them compare to playing a white Custom. For some reason, you feel like a rock star when it's hanging off your neck........

Long live Randy........:headbanger: