Why have I never heard of the JTM60?

• Thread starter Matthewthomas
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
Apart from being an admitted newbie, I have been reading about Marshall amps a fair bit (obviously not exhaustively) but I’ve heard of most of the usual suspects from the JTM, JCM, JMP, JVM, SC, SV, Origin, DSL, etc.

There’s a JTM60 combo (2x12) for sale in my area for cheap (for a Marshall) ~700USD, claims it is in full working order, and I’ve never heard of this amp - and JTM is a pretty legendary acronym (ok, initialism). Is there a good reason I haven’t heard of these? They must not be awesome(?) Or just short lived? Cursory research seems to indicate they have overheating issues? Is it worth looking into? I’m always searching vintage UK rock tones a la JTM45 or plexi in general… any thoughts appreciated, cheers!

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apart from being an admitted newbie, I have been reading about Marshall amps a fair bit (obviously not exhaustively) but I’ve heard of most of the usual suspects from the JTM, JCM, JMP, JVM, SC, SV, Origin, DSL, etc.

There’s a JTM60 combo (2x12) for sale in my area for cheap (for a Marshall) ~700USD, claims it is in full working order, and I’ve never heard of this amp - and JTM is a pretty legendary acronym (ok, initialism). Is there a good reason I haven’t heard of these? They must not be awesome(?) Or just short lived? Cursory research seems to indicate they have overheating issues? Is it worth looking into? I’m always searching vintage UK rock tones a la JTM45 or plexi in general… any thoughts appreciated, cheers!
I have a JCM600, same amp with a different moniker - also just picked up the little brother JTM 30.
Yes, they have a history of heating issues because of the whacky chassis design.
The power tubes are mounted horizontally, right under the control circuit boards.
I have my 600 inverted in a head shell and the 30 has cooling fans that run off the PT.

2 channel amp with great tone.
Boost channel uses diodes like an OD pedal.
Nice clean channel that gets crunchy with the channel volume cranked and the master down.
JTM45 or plexi in general? - no, but that doesn't mean I don't like them.
More like my Haze15 or DSL20 tone than my JTM45 or Origin.

Also - $700 is not that great of a price, unless it's in pristine condition.
There's one on Reverb now for $550.

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
E
I have a JCM600, same amp with a different moniker - also just picked up the little brother JTM 30.
Yes, they have a history of heating issues because of the whacky chassis design.
The power tubes are mounted horizontally, right under the control circuit boards.
I have my 600 inverted in a head shell and the 30 has cooling fans that run off the PT.

2 channel amp with great tone.
Boost channel uses diodes like an OD pedal.
Nice clean channel that gets crunchy with the channel volume cranked and the master down.
JTM45 or plexi in general? - no, but that doesn't mean I don't like them.
More like my Haze15 or DSL20 tone than my JTM45 or Origin.

Also - $700 is not that great of a price, unless it's in pristine condition.
There's one on Reverb now for $550.
Excellent info as usual, appreciate it

johan.b

Reaction score
JTM30 and JTM60 were originally marketed as aimed towards the blues guitar market
At last the 30 waters didn't have a NFB loop, to get that into a bit of that raw 50s amp roar. This makes them excellent candidate for a ppimv mod. But I've not seen people actually do that. Topology is a bit different from pretty much all other Marshalls and you'll either love them or don't. Build quality is about typical average 90s design.
J

donwagar

Reaction score
I had a JTM60 2x12 for about 10 years. I thought it sounded really good. IIRC I did a diode mod to it, and jumpered the loop. I still have the matching 2x12 extension cab.

I had bought it new, if buying a used one you should check that there is no heat damage. If the previous owner hasn't had a fan mounted, I'd suggest you put one in. Mine cut out twice on me, then I put a fan in.

Ronquest

Reaction score
Sold a good one last year for $350. I moved it up and down the stairs a few time and that was enough, LOL The design bothered me and we didn't bond.