Why is JVM still being made???

• Thread starter Shae201
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PowerTube44

Reaction score

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Since this thread was brought up again for whatever reason.

I've owned all the JVM models minus the JS. It's such an inferior amp compared to what you can get today. The noise the OD1 and 2 produce is embarrassing for any standard amp let alone an made in England amp. The fact that you have to do so many mods is also embarrassing. I'm not blaming Santiago for this as he is a great designer but why do these amps continue to leave the factory is beyond me. My DSL20 blows my 410h away in quality of tone and noise. As a shade tree amp tech I constantly defer people from buying a JVM. Every gig I play all my musician friends agree that the DSL is a better amp for tone and all around. Marshall... discontinue the JVM and bring back the 2205 and 2210s!

I don't give a rats ass about the JVM being still sold or not, but for fucks sake DONT bring back this idiotic 2210/2205 design. Bad enough they still build the 4100. I'm getting sick thinking about all these nice transformers, chassis, tubes and headshells that were paired up with those junk preamps.

HFloyd

Reaction score
HA!

I remember seeing this thread and going: "I really should make a video about how great JVMs are"

So I did, and then never posted it in this thread.

The JVM is great. Probably the most versatile and "playable" amp that I've ever played. It's hard to get it to sound bad. If you only had 1 amp in your life, you could do a lot worse than a JVM.

While I'll acknowledge it's not as good as one of the classic heads, it can do the job of all of them. IE: It's a 9\10 JCM800, a 9\10 JTM45, a 9\10 1987x etc.

So look, if you need a JCM800, oddly enough, only a JCM800 is ever going to be good enough. That's why the JCM800 is so awesome because it is dedicated to doing the 800 thing with 0 compromise or concession to do anything else.

But if you need an amp that's a little bit of everything, rather than dedicated to being ONE thing, the JVM is killer. It's great at everything it does.

(If you cbf watching the long-form video, here are all the demos I recorded with my JVM)

andyg_prs

Reaction score
They seem to have discontinued exactly that, the JVM1H, but you might be able to find a used one.

I'm seeing one on Reverb:

Ah, 1 watt and the reduction in functionality is a few steps too far for me....I was thinking more 20+ watts and at least 2 if not 3 independent channels....I know, asking a lot. Then again, the Legacy 3 packed a pair of EL34s and three channels, two with independent EQ into a very small package....

andyg_prs

Reaction score
HA!

I remember seeing this thread and going: "I really should make a video about how great JVMs are"

The JVM is great. Probably the most versatile and "playable" amp that I've ever played. It's hard to get it to sound bad. If you only had 1 amp in your life, you could do a lot worse than a JVM.

While I'll acknowledge it's not as good as one of the classic heads, it can do the job of all of them. IE: It's a 9\10 JCM800, a 9\10 JTM45, a 9\10 1987x etc.

So look, if you need a JCM800, oddly enough, only a JCM800 is ever going to be good enough. That's why the JCM800 is so awesome because it is dedicated to doing the 800 thing with 0 compromise or concession to do anything else.

But if you need an amp that's a little bit of everything, rather than dedicated to being ONE thing, the JVM is killer. It's great at everything it does.

(If you cbf watching the long-form video, here are all the demos I recorded with my JVM)

Great job - I'm going to spend more time soon to listen through in more detail. Great qualtiy and even better it's great to hear the opinion of someone with such a selection of great amps across a range of genres as per your signature! Of course now I want to know how you feel the JVM compares to those :)

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Ah, 1 watt and the reduction in functionality is a few steps too far for me....I was thinking more 20+ watts and at least 2 if not 3 independent channels....I know, asking a lot. Then again, the Legacy 3 packed a pair of EL34s and three channels, two with independent EQ into a very small package....

I'll bet a 20-watt JVM, in line with the other 20-watters, would be a hot seller. Call it the JVM Studio or whatnot and keep all four channels.

Last edited:

giblesp

Reaction score
Would there be any point in a JVM 20 watt though? Is dropping from 50W to 20W going to give much of a difference? Factoring in the excellent Master control of the JVM's, I would say probably not but I'm not an expert.

I'd love the JVM1 watt, but 50W is perfect for my needs. Both my JVM's are 50W.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Would there be any point in a JVM 20 watt though? Is dropping from 50W to 20W going to give much of a difference? Factoring in the excellent Master control of the JVM's, I would say probably not but I'm not an expert.

Size can be a factor too for me. Haul that little studio on a 2x12 and get 4 channels of JVM goodness? Likely with only 1 or 2 EQ sets. Plus 4 channel JVM are 100 watts.
The big boy is a big full size head requiring a wide body 2x12 minimum.
Works for me.

Last edited:

giblesp

Reaction score
HA!

Nice recording. Like the bite of the Les Paul with the power chords. What's your signal chain?

giblesp

Reaction score
Size can be a factor too for me. Haul that little studio on a 2x12 and get 4 channels of JVM goodness? Likely with only 1 or 2 EQ sets.
The big boy is a big full size head requiring a wide body 2x12 minimum.m
Works for me.
The size could be appealing for many. One thing I noticed with the Jubilee Studio is that compared to the original it lacked bass. The JVM 205H of course, doesn't lack any bass whatsoever.
Another factor for me personally; I wont be buying non British Marshalls. Got my JVM 215C the last production year before Marshall sold out. Swedish Marshall isn't an issue for some, I get that.

Only proper British Marshalls for me.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
The size could be appealing for many. One thing I noticed with the Jubilee Studio is that compared to the original it lacked bass. The JVM 205H of course, doesn't lack any bass whatsoever.
Another factor for me personally; I wont be buying non British Marshalls. Got my JVM 215C the last production year before Marshall sold out. Swedish Marshall isn't an issue for some, I get that.

Only proper British Marshalls for me.
The new ones aren't made in Sweden though? Different ownership, yes.
Plus, 410 is 4 channels and 100 watts. 4 channels simplified with 3 modes each still in a smaller 20 watt package? Nice!

giblesp

Reaction score
The new ones aren't made in Sweden though? Different ownership, yes.
Plus, 410 is 4 channels and 100 watts. 4 channels simplified with 3 modes each still in a smaller 20 watt package? Nice!
Same factory, but they bend the knee to their Swedish masters.
Haven't got time for those puss~es. F'ing disgrace.

Marshall is British. Those who know, know.

HFloyd

Reaction score
Great job - I'm going to spend more time soon to listen through in more detail. Great qualtiy and even better it's great to hear the opinion of someone with such a selection of great amps across a range of genres as per your signature! Of course now I want to know how you feel the JVM compares to those :)
Thanks you kindly!

To summarise:

MKV - Total opposite in almost every way. Insanely mid-forward amp that you need to gut the mids from for it to be happy. Even after "gutting" those mids, there's still a shitload of mids in your tone. Bright and Thuddy instead of warm and punchy. HATES any sort of gain pedal. You can set this amp up to sit wherever you like in the mix rather than the Marshall thing of: "HA! I GONNA TAKE ALL THE ROOM BECAUSE I AM THE FUCKING BOSS"

Fender Bassman - Clean clean clean clean clean. Did I mention it was clean? This fucker is CLEAN. If you make it distort, this amp will judge your life choices. Doesn't love gain pedals, but gets along fine with fuzz pedals (in the right circumstances). You could use it in a similar sort of Gilmour way, but it won't sound like Gilmour 'cos of the Fender mid scoop thing. Has surprisingly fluffy mids when the mids are turned up which seem to clash with how percussive the amp can be.

Mesa Recto - Very different to the JVM. It's big, warm and...sloppy honestly. The EQ has a really wide Q on all the knobs so it's hard to be surgical with a Recto. Tonnes of saturation, but the note itself sounds surprisingly clean underneath? Completely opposite distortion characteristic to the JVM which just mangles everything in a glorious, face-ripping way.

5150 Iconic - It's a 5150. It does what it says on the tin. Doesn't matter what guitar you give it, what signal chain or anything like that, ultimately it's still gonna sound like a 5150.

Uberschall: Like a Marshall and a Recto had a baby. You get that recto style saturation, but with a more Marshall voice under that saturation. GOTTA tame the low-mids somehow but once you get it right, it's a very pretty sounding, very huge sounding nuclear explosion.

Nice recording. Like the bite of the Les Paul with the power chords. What's your signal chain?

Unless specified, everything in that video was Guitar -> JVM. However I was playing through my cab with Greenbacks\Alnicos. JVM is NOT a fan of V30s.

PowerTube44

Reaction score

The thing is, though, the 50-watt version, the JVM205H, only has two channels. I'm talking about the JVM410H being made in the 20-watt series in a smaller head shell, with all four channels.

V-man

Reaction score
2007 was (IMO) the end of the “jack of all trades” Flagships. With 5-10 more years’ hindsight (a luxury no business has), I’d say the JVM was a blunder for the uncertain future ahead.

In hindsight, Marshall should have gone with a 2-channel Recto-slayer… something that sat at the apex of high gain metal amps that crushed the 5150. The age of the 6100 Swiss army amp was had already for 15 years and while lauded, nobody was cloning or clamoring for a RI 6100 as opposed to a 2555.

If you wanted a metal amp, the JVM can hang but no metal guy would call that the “first word in such amps” by any stretch. And if you are not a high gain metal person, there are much better “classic tone” Marshalls to choose from. Sure, it does it all (passably) for the cover band that does 4 genres, but so does a Fender and a stocked pedalboard.

It was a solid amp, but it is not a legendary amp IMO, and it should/would have been replaced years ago once Jim passed if the successors had any real interest in living up to the Father of Loud’s legacy (which clearly, they did not).

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Okay, I did a mockup of what I'm describing.

JVM2010.jpg

20 watts
4-channel