Winger!?

• Thread starter MarshallMark
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
did you note, 5 posts up that they just released a new CD?

(thanks to Matt for the head's up)

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Great musicians but they were the Nickleback of the hair-band era.

269276_artist.jpg

V-Type

Reaction score
Winger was Great on paper.
The songs were well thought out musically and arranged quite well but.... Sadly the Bubble Gum MTV formula all 4 members settled on as their Sig was about too be extinguished.
Great players all but imo the Winger material no matter how you cut it was too much whine and less Rock.
The lyrics are almost sickening at times but hey at that time the Hair and Mascara that guys wore on their sleeves got them the cred and the tail but it ended especially badly for Winger and generally it was their Own undoing.
Between Not changing the music direction,subject,etc... and Reb's constant bashing of other Players in interviews it was Easy too forget Kip and The Boyz.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Saw them on the first headlining tour after Seventeen became a big hit on MTV in '88 (I think?!). It was them with Cinderella and BulletBoys opened. Was a kickass concert. To this day Seventeen is a guilty pleasure to listen too. :cool:

I saw that same tour in Erie, PA. I remember I had never heard of bulletboys, and the singer came out and he looked like he had a major god syndrome, opened his mouth and I was blown away by his power.

Winger was awesome, I remember Paul Taylor was awesome also.

Cinderella was amazing, never knew Tom did the leads until then.

MarshallMark

Reaction score
I saw that same tour in Erie, PA. I remember I had never heard of bulletboys, and the singer came out and he looked like he had a major god syndrome, opened his mouth and I was blown away by his power.

Winger was awesome, I remember Paul Taylor was awesome also.

Cinderella was amazing, never knew Tom did the leads until then.

Yeah Marq Torien was obviously a DLR wannabe with his looks, but he had a powerful voice like you said. He's still fronting Bulletboys as far as I know and has taken over playing guitar too. Cinderella is always great every time I've seen them. In fact when I saw this concert Cinderella might a blown Winger off the stage if it hadn't been for the females in the audience going apeshit crazy over Kip Winger's looks.

saxon68

Reaction score
Yeah Marq Torien was obviously a DLR wannabe with his looks, but he had a powerful voice like you said. He's still fronting Bulletboys as far as I know and has taken over playing guitar too. Cinderella is always great every time I've seen them. In fact when I saw this concert Cinderella might a blown Winger off the stage if it hadn't been for the females in the audience going apeshit crazy over Kip Winger's looks.

Cinderella was headlining when I saw them, it was the "long cold winter" tour.

MarshallMark

Reaction score
Cinderella was headlining when I saw them, it was the "long cold winter" tour.

You know what?!- Cinderella WAS the headliner on that tour and the bill in Memphis that night as well. My memory ain't what it use to be. I was thinking it was Winger headlining but you jogged my memory on that. No wonder I remember Cinderella being as good if not better than Winger! I also saw Cinderella on The Rock Never Stops tour in '06 or '07 along with Quiet Riot (not long before Kevin Dubrow died) and Ratt (maybe why Carlos Cavazo ended up joining Ratt when Dubrow died). Anyway Cinderella ruled that show as well. This must have been not too long before Tom Kiefer had to quit singing because his voice was blown out. Couldn't tell anything was off with him that night though.

Redders

Reaction score
I've never actually listened to them before properly, i'll be seeing them at Donington this summer though so will have to check them out beforehand using this thread as a starting point!

Bigmuff

Reaction score
They're all douchebags. Being good musicians doesn't make that not true. They always seemed to just be in it for the money and the poontang.

I'm with Beavis and Butthead on this one. "His eyes are bluer than blue. They're... Blue."

I like Cinderella though.

saxon68

Reaction score
They're all douchebags. Being good musicians doesn't make that not true. They always seemed to just be in it for the money and the poontang.

I'm with Beavis and Butthead on this one. "His eyes are bluer than blue. They're... Blue."

I like Cinderella though.

I thought we ALL got into it for money and poontang? They got to live the dream for some time, props to 'em

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Well once hair metal "died", they seemed to focus more on writing. Pull had some pretty ****ing good songs on it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyBd9BOhd2c[/ame]

S.A.T.O.

Reaction score
Reb is amazing. Rod played in the Dixie Dregs, Kip was a touring bassist with Alice Cooper and others. Great musicianship I just didn't like their songs. 17 is a good tune.

Blacque Jacque

Reaction score
Late to the party, I seem to have totally passed them by during the 80's. Oh I knew they existed for sure, but that was it.

Rat Race is getting airplay on PlanetRock & I really like it, good solid riffing.

hellride

Reaction score
"Rainbow in the rose" & the title track from "In the heart of the young" was what hooked me on to 'em. Modern Drummer magazine had a giveaway together with Premier, Sabian & Voelker racks back then and I wanted to win Rod's kit so bad (played the drums back then).

As far as Reb go, I think he should have more space in Whitesnake. He's far to good to be standing in Doug's shadow.