Wireless Guitar Systems

• Thread starter Shane Stevenson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_LA

Reaction score
Do you plug into your peddle board? Here’s a dumb question, so does that unit interfere with a cell phone or tablet?
Yup, right in.
Though I do tape the receiving unit to the guitar body when I play out, for safety.
Haven't heard any cell phone interference.
Oh and that's not your brother's MG stack, that's a proper tube driven JVM1H with celestion speakers.
20240204_123344.jpg

20240204_123418.jpg

Shane Stevenson

Reaction score
Yup, right in.
Though I do tape the receiving unit to the guitar body when I play out, for safety.
Haven't heard any cell phone interference.
Oh and that's not your brother's MG stack, that's a proper tube driven JVM1H with celestion speakers.
View attachment 145443

View attachment 145442
What an awesome little rig! Throw a 57 on one of those cabs and it’s gig worthy.

Can you tell that there’s much tone loose when compared to a cable? These Xvives have my interest. Mainly because of simplicity and price.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Well, there are regulations, but using those bands is not prohibited as such over here - just you have to operate within given ranges. I've still got wireless mics from maybe a decade back that use 27MHz. I've seen systems that operate around 840, too. The advantage is that there is near to no inherent latency for decoding, decryption and whatnot. The risk is of course that anyone can jam it and there's no protocol level isolation.

I know the FCC has made some wonky decisions over the years, but a complete block on UHF/VHF as you put it seems.... excessive to say the least?
I have an old Nady from the 80's as well and it was a fun toy back then . It could come in on a AM station back then in the car out front of the house which was weird but what did I know back then ? Why would it be illegal today ?
because the FCC banned public use of those frequencies, as they are reserved for government emergency services only.

When we had a few big emergencies, like 9/11 & around here, we had a major wildfire, or 3 that merged, where emergency services could not communicate w/ each other, because of too much frequency noise. They regulated cell phone frequency & banned all radio & TV transmission by using those over the air frequencies. In the mix, all other radio type controllers, & broadcasters were regulated into the digital realm.

They say also, even w/ digital transmitters, when you are touring abroad, you should check w/ local officials, to make sure that your frequency set is allowed...

I mean you can use them, but, if you get caught, it could get you a hefty fine...

it's not so cut & dry, but Shure offers this as their help:

it seems that they allow certain frequencies, for license. But, I'd imagine that old unit won't qualify, unless you can tune the frequency to fit their regulations.

It seems that most articles are written in regards to the digital thing already happened & expect that you are using digital units to begin w/...

I remember articles, way back as all the digital transition was happening. Maybe things got refined since, & there are exceptions/allowances, but, for the most part, companies designing wireless stuff back then, used certain frequency ranges, not knowing that they'd be banned in the future...

Not a bad idea to check & see if your old unit will pass the new rules...

PelliX

Reaction score
it seems that they allow certain frequencies, for license. But, I'd imagine that old unit won't qualify, unless you can tune the frequency to fit their regulations.

Indeed, though note the omission of for example 27MHz, 434MHz, 868MHz and so on. I'm guess they didn't expect everyone with a DECT phone to move from their ~900 and 1800MHz (IIRC) bands. Generally you require a license for a given frequency range over a certain broadcast power. For example, 2.4GHz is a regulated band but you're allowed to set up Bluetooth and wi-fi as desired, provided you do not exceed given limits. In the US there are 11 effective wireless channels/bands for the 2.4GHz, whereas Europe extends higher and has 13. In some parts of Asia you have the 'full' 14. I'm not sure about the US but the law here is 28mW max. Some professional gear will exceed that, but then you need the paperwork to operate it. Obviously some people make a sport out of it and figure out how to bypass the restrictions and hack in better transceivers, but I digress...

1707084488485.png

The same applies here for 27MHz, up to I believe 3W is fair play, anything over that requires 'administrative attention'. FM transmitters for use in cars inherently broadcast using the FM range of common radios. I think we're talking mW in those frequency ranges, but still. If I understand the wording correctly, the new regulations do entirely forbid the use of a tiny spectrum of the 600-700MHz range:

"Once a new service commenced operation in a particular area, wireless microphones that operated in the spectrum between 616-653 MHz and 663-698 MHz could no longer be used".

If they're anything to go by, most products simply need to be set up correctly.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
that old Nady will be illegal today... Just like my old Rexer, which was top of the line, when I bought it, early '90s...

unfortunately, even cheap ones today are better than the best of the best back then.

but, at any rate, when transmissions went digital, they outlawed using UHF/VHF, etc.
Why illegal?
It is 50mW or less and 215.2MHz.
So, for unlicensed use it is an available frequency and at or below power restriction according to FCC.
:)

Last edited:

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
because the FCC banned public use of those frequencies, as they are reserved for government emergency services only.

When we had a few big emergencies, like 9/11 & around here, we had a major wildfire, or 3 that merged, where emergency services could not communicate w/ each other, because of too much frequency noise. They regulated cell phone frequency & banned all radio & TV transmission by using those over the air frequencies. In the mix, all other radio type controllers, & broadcasters were regulated into the digital realm.

They say also, even w/ digital transmitters, when you are touring abroad, you should check w/ local officials, to make sure that your frequency set is allowed...

I mean you can use them, but, if you get caught, it could get you a hefty fine...

It seems that most articles are written in regards to the digital thing already happened & expect that you are using digital units to begin w/...

I remember articles, way back as all the digital transition was happening. Maybe things got refined since, & there are exceptions/allowances, but, for the most part, companies designing wireless stuff back then, used certain frequency ranges, not knowing that they'd be banned in the future...

I am looking at stuff like this

FCC

Shure

1707105328840.png

El Gringo

Reaction score

Thank You for the info . The reason I ditched the wireless way back was I hated the noise , and using the cord is pretty noise free compared . I know today's wireless systems are more efficient .As a kid back then it was a novelty item .Today it's about being practical and efficient (as much as I can ) P.S. , you are an encyclopedia of knowledge !