Worst case senario TSL 100 thread

• Thread starter clevohardcore
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

clevohardcore

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a 1999 JCM tsl 100 head. Dude is asking $800 or BO. IF the amp needs a new motherboard and whatever else may have been an issue with them, what could be the expense I may need to put into it? I am thinking of sending a low ball offer. Dude says its in excellent shape.

Landshark

Reaction score
Plus if its a '99 and still in working order, it has probably been properly serviced and updated regularly to keep it in playing condition, which sounds to be the case by his description that its in excellent condition. Its not always that way... but what are the odds that a lemon has been passed from person to person for 15 years?

I would ask if he is the original owner, and just ask for general history on the amp (repairs both major and minor, how regularly has it been serviced, what issues... that sort of info.)

clevohardcore

Reaction score
YA I asked that. Funny thing the dude selling the jcm listed for 700 but accepted my offer or 175 is no longer on ebay. He got busted as I noticed his latest feedback was of taking money but not delivering on the goods. So ebay ended his account. Glad I didn't pay him.
As for this new jcm deal, dude says its been his all along and has had no issues. Thinking of offering $500+50 shipping, does that sound fair?

MorePaul

Reaction score
I paid $650 for my '98 TSL

I see them on GC used anywhere from $600 to $800

Landshark

Reaction score
YA I asked that. Funny thing the dude selling the jcm listed for 700 but accepted my offer or 175 is no longer on ebay. He got busted as I noticed his latest feedback was of taking money but not delivering on the goods. So ebay ended his account. Glad I didn't pay him.
As for this new jcm deal, dude says its been his all along and has had no issues. Thinking of offering $500+50 shipping, does that sound fair?

15 years of ownership is a good sign... I would think.

Pat6969

Reaction score

You actually made an offer of $175 with a $700 asking price? Tell me you're kidding please.

clevohardcore

Reaction score
You actually made an offer of $175 with a $700 asking price? Tell me you're kidding please.

^^^^^^^ No, and why would you ask that? I sense some frustration in your keystroke tone. Do you need therapy? I afforded $175 on something that was listed for $700. So what. Are you going to tell me why I shouldn't have? If so, stay on your side of the playground. As for my offer, it was more than fair, and it was accepted.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you can not trust anyone online. If the guy stole the amp, he would tell you he was the original owner & that it's never had a problem...

I would never pay more than $600 for a TSL100. This includes having to replace the board. I would probably not buy one for more than $400 sight unseen. My $600 buyout would be meeting face to face. Checking the bias & playing it for some time, checking the bias before & after. I'd take a screw gun & a multi-meter/bias meter. If anything points to trouble, the price goes down $200 immediately...

clevohardcore

Reaction score
Unfortunately, you can not trust anyone online. If the guy stole the amp, he would tell you he was the original owner & that it's never had a problem...

I would never pay more than $600 for a TSL100. This includes having to replace the board. I would probably not buy one for more than $400 sight unseen. My $600 buyout would be meeting face to face. Checking the bias & playing it for some time, checking the bias before & after. I'd take a screw gun & a multi-meter/bias meter. If anything points to trouble, the price goes down $200 immediately...

^^^ This was the info I was looking for from a Marshall forum member. Obviously there was some issues with the amp or I would not have offered such a low offer. Second, The dude accepted immediately, and as he did I noticed his feedback was beginning to not look so good. I asked for more pics and waited. He replied with "I'll get my girl on it". Then waited some more and a few days went by and I noticed he was no longer a ebay member and that his feedback was getting hammered with negative complaints.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
well, I'm just glad that you didn't get stiffed. Nothing sucks like spending your hard earned money into someone's scam & getting burned...

I probably wouldn't buy a TSL online. If craig'slist, at least you can go to the seller's house, try it out, but, I'd still recommend the bias test & at least a good ½ hour to an hour playing on it & testing it afterwards. If you buy it from GC, then you have their guarantee, but ebay? They pretty much suck at resolutions. I'd rather trust where I have more control over my money...

clevohardcore

Reaction score
I am now looking through GC and finding something from the used section possibly. Have it sent to my local store and try it out. If it don't fit my liking, get my money back before I leave the store. I'll still search CL and ebay until then. Its just some people are expecting way too much for a used tsl.

Thanks again DoD, that was the info I needed.

shredless

Reaction score
^^^^^^^ No, and why would you ask that? I sense some frustration in your keystroke tone. Do you need therapy? I afforded $175 on something that was listed for $700. So what. Are you going to tell me why I shouldn't have? If so, stay on your side of the playground. As for my offer, it was more than fair, and it was accepted.

sig material right there....thanks!:applause:

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Is $900 a good price for a 2007 jvm 410h if everything is kosher? It looks clean, won't know the rest until I get it.
I'd ask questions. $900 for a 2007 JVM410H is a little low, so I'd ask the seller:
1. has the amp ever been modified? (yeah, I know that most mods should be reversible, but the value of a mod depends on the point of view of the buyer; to me, mods on a used amp are cause for discount in most cases, but that's just me).
2. does the amp come with the original and unmodified footswitch and original power cord?
3. has anything been changed, such as PT, OT, etc.?
4. has the amp suffered any damage?
5. ask for pic of the outside and inside of the amp.

I kinda suspect that something might be off on a 2007 JVM for $900, but I wouldn't be too demanding on the seller depending on the kind of responses I'd get for the above questions. But if the amp is in good working condition and it has no mods, imo $900 is a very good deal.

If you've tried a 410H before and you like it, then it might be worth looking into, but it's really your call.

clevohardcore

Reaction score
what side of cleveland you on?

are you looking at cl by chance?

I'm West side. I've been checking CL for a while now, but no JVM's listed. I see a TSL for $555 but dude will not reply. I assume its sold as he never responds to the emails. Dude is near Akron I think.